Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Super Sport Vs Sport Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
robertbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sport Vs Sport Nautique
    Posted: January-28-2010 at 8:31pm
Can somebody help me understand the key differences between a Super Sport and a Sport Nautique?

Also I have found a 1993 Open bow Nautique. What is the difference between this and a Sport Nautique..

Thanks!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2010 at 8:49pm
The key difference is that a Super Sport is a VDrive. The Sport is a Direct Drive. The Vdrive is typically a much better wakeboard boat, and "not-so much" for skiing. The sport is a relatively large direct drive boat. It is very good for skiing, but not world class. With proper weighting, it can also be a good wakeboard boat, but will probably never be at the level of the Vdrive.

Without seeing it, I can only guess about the 83. The Ski Nautique is Correct Crafts flagship competion water ski boat. It was also offered in an open bow configuration, with it's hull dimensions being identical to the closed bow version. The windshield was moved back a couple of inches and a playpen style open bow was featured.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 1:15pm
Thanks for the response.

Forgive me for being a newbie, but why is a V-Drive better than a direct drive for wakeboarding? I am assuming it has to do with weight distribution? So the motor being at the back at the boat provides a more desireable wake for wake boarding?
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

The key difference is that a Super Sport is a VDrive. The Sport is a Direct Drive. The Vdrive is typically a much better wakeboard boat, and "not-so much" for skiing. The sport is a relatively large direct drive boat. It is very good for skiing, but not world class. With proper weighting, it can also be a good wakeboard boat, but will probably never be at the level of the Vdrive.

Without seeing it, I can only guess about the 83. The Ski Nautique is Correct Crafts flagship competion water ski boat. It was also offered in an open bow configuration, with it's hull dimensions being identical to the closed bow version. The windshield was moved back a couple of inches and a playpen style open bow was featured.

BKH

Brian,
Thanks for that post. I did not know that the Sport was a direct drive, and the Super is a V-Drive..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by robertbruder robertbruder wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Forgive me for being a newbie, but why is a V-Drive better than a direct drive for wakeboarding? I am assuming it has to do with weight distribution? So the motor being at the back at the boat provides a more desireable wake for wake boarding?

Better is kind of loaded word. I was trying to keep it simple.
With identical running surfaces, a Vdrive will hava a larger wake than a direct drive, simply because the heavy weight of the engine has been moved from the middle of the boat to the back of the boat. Most wakeboarders believe that bigger is better. I would argue that properly weighted, many direct drives, including the Sport Nautique can throw up a wakeboard wake which is far beyond the skillsets of majority of people on a wakeboard. There are only a limited few who really can take advantage of a very large wake.

Wake shape also has a lot to do with whether a wakeboard wake is considered good. The Super Sport/Super Air happens to have a hull shape which creates a wake which many feel is on of the best shaped wakes of all time. The Sport Nautique has the same, or very similar running surface, and therefore it can produce a shape very similar to that of the Super - but, you have to add a lot of ballast weight to get a similar size wake.

Wakeboarders also prefer the VDrives because the arena seating is "more social", and these days many prefer the VDrives because they are typically better for wake surfing.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 7:34pm
Do you know if the Martinique is a direct drive or a V-Drive?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 7:55pm
I am not that familiar with Martiniques. Every one I have seen is a direct drive. The hull shape of the Martinique changed quite a bit over the years. The earlier Martinique's were smaller boats with fairly flat hulls. The later Martiniques were bigger hulls with a more V bottom.

Maybe some of the Martinique owners will chime in.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 8:05pm
Direct drive is the only way to go..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Again, I am kind of a newbie here. Can you explain why you think direct drive is the only way to go?

With a V-Drive is there any horse power loss do to any transfer gears etc?
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 9:12pm
There have been a number of threads discussing "which boat is better" type topics, and you can hear strong opinions either way. My thoughts are that by even being in the discussion of inboards, and Correct Crafts in particular, you've already made the most important decision. My first question would be how you plan to use the boat. I'd assume that without a strong opinion already, you aren't a hardcore skier or boarder. Generally, as mentioned above, the Direct Drives are considered more slalom type boats, and the V-Drives wakeboard boats. That is not at all so say each can't be used reasonably well for either. I'm a slalom skier first and foremost, and even with two little kids, I have and will continue to have a direct drive boat. But for friends that ski a little, board a little, have kids and are more about family time on the water, I've recommended the V-Drives (and the Super Sport specifically, given their budget for a used Nautique.) One friend in particular had been exposed to my Ski Nautique for years, and loved how it sat low in the water, handled like a sports car, etc, but he isn't hardcore about skiing or boarding. He was more afraid he'd lose some of those "cool" qualities in a V-Drive, but he has a 2001 Super Sport and loves everything about it. My brother is a hardcore wakeboarder and he also has a 2001 Super Sport and feels about it as I feel about my Ski Nautique.
Boats feel weird to me without and engine in the middle, but I will admit with kids and a wife, the roominess in the V-drives is nice. If you do your own maintenance, it is much more difficult to get to everything in the v-drive.
In answer to your last question, I don't believe there is a power loss, but the handling characteristics of a v-drive are not as good as the direct drive, as you could expect given the difference in weight distribution. They are still light years beyond an inboard-outboard, however. (except at idle speeds)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 10:49pm
Thanks to everyone for all of the great info.

My boat serves a dual purpose. The majority of the time it is used for 3 amateurs Wakeboarding. I would also like something that would be accomodating to host family and friends.

At the end of last season I got a Barefoot Nautique project boat.

My thought process was that the larger motor and deeper hull would make it great for Wakeboarding. Has anyone every wakeboarded behind one of these?

Would you recommend putting a tower on the Barefoot Nautique for wake boarding or would that ruin the boat for Barefoot skiers?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2010 at 10:46am

Would you recommend putting a tower on the Barefoot Nautique for wake boarding or would that ruin the boat for Barefoot skiers?

Some may argue adding a tower to a boat that originally was not available with one will deter it's value or take away from the factory original theme, that decision is all about personal choice.

Really do not think a tower would negatively effect the Barefoot capabilities of your boat, in fact it would enhance them as many barefooters prefer a higher pull point such as a tower or extended pylon not to mention the other enhancements a tower offers.

Where a tower would be considered a negative is on a slalom boat primarily because it adds weight and that typically will create a larger or harder slalom wake.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2010 at 12:00pm

Again, I am kind of a newbie here. Can you explain why you think direct drive is the only way to go?

With a V-Drive is there any horse power loss do to any transfer gears etc?

Hey Robert,
I grew up with Direct drive boats, been around them for 30 yrs. I think they are the only way to go cause of more power, and the way they drive is totally different. V- DRIVE boats feel like you are driving a 18 wheel boat, direct drive jump out of the hole much quicker and turn on a dime. Different qualties, and also direct drive is from the old school, that V-DRIVE is recently new. I say this I'll keep my FREEDOM, YOU CAN HAVE THE CHANGE!!!!!! LOL
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2010 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by dip dip wrote:

There have been a number of threads discussing "which boat is better" type topics, and you can hear strong opinions either way. My thoughts are that by even being in the discussion of inboards, and Correct Crafts in particular, you've already made the most important decision. My first question would be how you plan to use the boat. I'd assume that without a strong opinion already, you aren't a hardcore skier or boarder. Generally, as mentioned above, the Direct Drives are considered more slalom type boats, and the V-Drives wakeboard boats. That is not at all so say each can't be used reasonably well for either. I'm a slalom skier first and foremost, and even with two little kids, I have and will continue to have a direct drive boat. But for friends that ski a little, board a little, have kids and are more about family time on the water, I've recommended the V-Drives (and the Super Sport specifically, given their budget for a used Nautique.) One friend in particular had been exposed to my Ski Nautique for years, and loved how it sat low in the water, handled like a sports car, etc, but he isn't hardcore about skiing or boarding. He was more afraid he'd lose some of those "cool" qualities in a V-Drive, but he has a 2001 Super Sport and loves everything about it. My brother is a hardcore wakeboarder and he also has a 2001 Super Sport and feels about it as I feel about my Ski Nautique.
Boats feel weird to me without and engine in the middle, but I will admit with kids and a wife, the roominess in the V-drives is nice. If you do your own maintenance, it is much more difficult to get to everything in the v-drive.
In answer to your last question, I don't believe there is a power loss, but the handling characteristics of a v-drive are not as good as the direct drive, as you could expect given the difference in weight distribution. They are still light years beyond an inboard-outboard, however. (except at idle speeds)

gOOD POINT..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Where a tower would be considered a negative is on a slalom boat primarily because it adds weight and that typically will create a larger or harder slalom wake.

If that's the case I ruined a perfectly good Ski Supreme.... actually the tower is easily removable by removing 4 clevis pens.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 6:54pm

V- DRIVE boats feel like you are driving a 18 wheel boat, direct drive jump out of the hole much quicker and turn on a dime. Different qualties, and also direct drive is from the old school, that V-DRIVE is recently new. I say this I'll keep my FREEDOM, YOU CAN HAVE THE CHANGE!!!!!! LOL

Sounds like I better test drive a V-Drive before buying one.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 8:26pm
I would, but like the others said Rob, depends what you are going to use it for. If you have a large family and need more room and storage, go with the V- DRIVE, but I gurantee if you drive a direct drive boat, you become spoiled in drivabilty and how it pops people out of the water.Sound too.. :)
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 12:17pm

I am not that familiar with Martiniques. Every one I have seen is a direct drive. The hull shape of the Martinique changed quite a bit over the years. The earlier Martinique's were smaller boats with fairly flat hulls. The later Martiniques were bigger hulls with a more V bottom.

Maybe some of the Martinique owners will chime in.

BKH

So I have narrowed my search down to this.
I decidely want an open bow Correct Craft.

With price range restrictions of $7000 to $15000 my choices become. Martinique, Open Bow Ski Nautique, Sport Nautique, Super Sport.

A friend told me that,
"Martiniques are a 21ft boat with 230hp engine. They are under powered"

Has anyone experienced this?

The trade-off for the Super Sport is a V-Drive which we have discussed the advantages and disadvantages of.

But what about an Open Bow Ski Nautique vs a Sport Nautique? What is the key difference?

Does the Sport Nautique have any lifters on the underside of the hull etc similiar to the early Air Nautiques?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 2:01pm
So now you are asking for an opinion, because there really is not a right or wrong answer. Free advice, so take it for what it's worth.

My opinion:

Don't bother with Open Bow SN. Although it has a small open bow, you will not find yourself with any more room than you have in the BFN and you'll have less storage.

Don't bother with a Martinique. You already have a "starter boat" with your BFN. While there are a some people out their who really covet/love/want the Martinique, Riviera etc., for most people, they would rather have a more modern open bow. The for sale ad will read
"Great starter boat. The only reason I'm selling is to 'upgrade' to a Super Air Nautique."

Based upon how you've described using the boat, your experience, budget, etc. I would search for a Super Sport Nautique. In your price range, you may even find a Super Air Nautique which would be the same boat, but would include a tower and ballast system. The Super Airs are not easy to find in your price range but they are out there, usually needing some upholstery or cosmetic work. You should be able to find a Super Sport 1995-1999 in your price range, and may even find a later model in that range.

If you can't find a Super Sport or Super Air, then I would search for
A Sport Nautique. Based on your parameters, my recommendation would be a 1993-1997.

As I said, free advice, take it for what it's worth.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 2:05pm
Your friend is not a good source of Correct Craft information.

A friend told me that,
"Martiniques are a 21ft boat with 230hp engine. They are under powered"
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 12:17am
V drives don't handle poorly, they just don't handle as well as direct drives, both will be better than a I/O. If a V drive is on the list don't forget about the early 90's Excel's and Barefoot's, they aren't as easy to find, but they are cheaper than the Super Sports. The open bow in the Ski Nautique is like the one in my Excel, and it isn't as useful and a full open bow, but the kids like it, and it keeps the rest of the boat warmer in the winter so I like it too.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 1:58am

I would search for a Super Sport Nautique. In your price range, you may even find a Super Air Nautique which would be the same boat, but would include a tower and ballast system. The Super Airs are not easy to find in your price range but they are out there, usually needing some upholstery or cosmetic work. You should be able to find a Super Sport 1995-1999 in your price range, and may even find a later model in that range.

Hey Brian,
If you happen to come across any SS's / SAN's in that price bracket over in your area of the world let me know.

I'm always looking but never seem to find.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:04am
I'll keep an eye out Chopper. Saw a 2000 Super Air 20 miles from house last year for 13,500. Needed a complete interior. Guy in Utah bought it site unseen and had it shipped. Had it up for sale 6 months later for 20K. I also believe DavidF found his 2000 Super air for about 16 a year and half ago. It too needed upholstery. I've seen a 95 and a 97 SS, both looked to be in good condition for 11K. Just a matter of being in right place at right time. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:23am

I'll keep an eye out Chopper. Saw a 2000 Super Air 20 miles from house last year for 13,500. Needed a complete interior. Guy in Utah bought it site unseen and had it shipped. Had it up for sale 6 months later for 20K. I also believe DavidF found his 2000 Super air for about 16 a year and half ago. It too needed upholstery. I've seen a 95 and a 97 SS, both looked to be in good condition for 11K. Just a matter of being in right place at right time. BKH

Cheers Brian.
Anything similar to any the above will do. Would definately prefer the SAN though for the factory tower.

I've got the cash ready to go, just need to find the hull.

It's all about the hull.   
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 11:25am
Lond as it is a Nautique you good to go!!!!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 11:26am
OOPPPSS, Long as it is a Nautique... you good to go...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:54pm
Thanks again everyone for the info.

BKH, I believe you are right about the Martinique. It might get me through the next year or so but then I would just be looking to upgrade again.

Probably best just to sell one and keep one of my current boats (BFN and Ski Supreme) until I find the SSN or SAN. Although I would not turn down a Sport Nautique at a descent price.

The BFN needs new floor and interior. Should I attempt to sell it as a project or what would you guys suggest? I know that some people race the BFN's and they may want to build it up themselves. Someone mentioned that the BFN is a starter boat? I was under the impression that BFN's are sought after by the Barefoot community. Are there any barefooters that could chime in? Is the BFN preferred to a Sport Nautique for instance?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:56pm
Thanks again everyone for the info.

BKH, I believe you are right about the Martinique. It might get me through the next year or so but then I would just be looking to upgrade again.

Probably best just to sell one and keep one of my current boats (BFN and Ski Supreme) until I find the SSN or SAN. Although I would not turn down a Sport Nautique at a descent price.

The BFN needs new floor and interior. Should I attempt to sell it as a project or what would you guys suggest? I know that some people race the BFN's and they may want to build it up themselves. Someone mentioned that the BFN is a starter boat? I was under the impression that BFN's are sought after by the Barefoot community. Are there any barefooters that could chime in? Is the BFN preferred to a Sport Nautique for instance?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:59pm
The BFN is a desirable boat, though the market for one is quite small! There are lways plenty project BFNs for sale, I don't think your boat is worth more than $2k.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 3:28pm
Rob-

Do yourself a favor and go drive both boats. Personally, a Vdrive is out of the question because I do all of my own work on my boat.

Tim

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic