Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Super Sport Vs Sport Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
robertbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The BFN is a desirable boat, though the market for one is quite small! There are lways plenty project BFNs for sale, I don't think your boat is worth more than $2k.

Currently I have approximately that ($2k) into it. The question would be. Do I go with putting in the floor ($2500 - $3000) and upholstery ($1000) before trying to sell the BFN having around $6500 into the boat overall. It seems what you are saying is that there are plenty of project BFN's out there so I would have a better chance at selling with a turn key. Some turn key BFNs have been listed on here for around $12,500. I don't think I will get hurt on the boat either way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Rob-

Do yourself a favor and go drive both boats. Personally, a Vdrive is out of the question because I do all of my own work on my boat.

Tim

Tim,

I am assuming that the V-Drive being in a compartment makes it harder to work on? Do you have to remove the interior or pull the engine to work on a V-Drive?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by robertbruder robertbruder wrote:

Do I go with putting in the floor ($2500 - $3000) and upholstery ($1000) before trying to sell the BFN having around $6500 into the boat overall.

Some turn key BFNs have been listed on here for around $12,500. I don't think I will get hurt on the boat either way.

You will not get $12,500 for your boat with this.

Do I go with putting in the floor ($2500 - $3000) and upholstery ($1000) before trying to sell the BFN having around $6500 into the boat overall.

A $12,500 BFN is not only going to be turn-key, but have a strong, low hour 454, original or high quality upholstery, shining gelcoat, full decals, and a good looking trailer.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 6:34pm
Investing in a boat with the idea of breaking even right now may be a bad option,unless you build to enjoy I would advise against it.
Brian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:02pm

You will not get $12,500 for your boat with this.

Agreed. My point in stating that was to say... Hey I probably won't be out if I put the $3500 - $4000 into my BFN. Worst case scenario I have a fully functioning BFN.

My real question is that if I am looking to move to a Super Sport or Air Nautique in the next year then do I undergo this project?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:07pm

A $12,500 BFN is not only going to be turn-key, but have a strong, low hour 454, original or high quality upholstery, shining gelcoat, full decals, and a good looking trailer.

What would be considered low hours? There are only so many boats from the 80's that can actually have 400 hours.. My BFN has 1100... would that be a lot or mid range?

I do have the replacement decals so that is good. The trailer is the original galvanized aluminum looks pretty good to me.

How important is it to have the original upholstery and interior pieces? Someone else has mentioned this to me as well.

Thanks again for the advice.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:12pm
Quality vinyl is going to run you 2-3x $1,000 right off the bat. That does not include foam, wood backings, staples, original rotocast bases, or install!

I would consider <500 hrs low for an 80's boat.

Decals are worth a couple hundred, there are lots of hours tied up fiberglass repair and wetsanding the gel however.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:12pm

Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Rob-

Do yourself a favor and go drive both boats. Personally, a Vdrive is out of the question because I do all of my own work on my boat.

Tim

Tim,

I am assuming that the V-Drive being in a compartment makes it harder to work on? Do you have to remove the interior or pull the engine to work on a V-Drive?

I can't answer that since every V drive is a bit different.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:17pm

How important is it to have the original upholstery and interior pieces? Someone else has mentioned this to me as well.

Everyone else can chime in, but Ill let you know (again ) that its important! Finding the plastic bases for the late 80's delux interior will be very difficult. If and when you do find them, they likely wont be cheap either.

To have all the upholstery done, youre looking at $2500-3500 for factory-quality foam/vinyl/install on a delux interior. It cost me about $1k for my Ski Tique, which has the non-delux interior (much fewer pieces) and the boat itself was much smaller. My '90 was a better comparison to the BFN and was north of $3500 a few years ago.

A full structural restoration alone will cost $1500-2000 on that boat just in materials. The estimate people usually give on here is about 200 man hours for that job. Thats a big investment of time and its not cheap... something to consider if you plan to upgrade in the near future anyways. I think most would agree that it may be wise to sell the boat as-is when looking at the economics of the situation.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:23pm
Unless you enjoy doing this type of project work, it would probably not be in your best interest to rebuild the BFN. While you might break even, or do slightly better on your material investments, you will spend hundreds of hours doing the project. You won't get that time back - time when you could be doing something else - and you likely won't get back any compensation for your time, at least in the current economy and the value the boats are going for right now.

I'm currently working on a project boat because I enjoy the project. It relaxes me and takes my mind off other things. I have the advantage that I have another boat, which works perfectly fine. There's no pressure to get it done quickly. I did not even touch the project for nearly two years. Now I'm back at it and spending 20 or 30 hours a week on it.

I think the guys trying to meet a deadline to have the boat operational by summer feel a lot more pressure to get it done. They are cranking it out and putting in long hours. For me, that would take the relaxation part out of the project, but then again I would have been done by now. Heck, there are times, I just stare at the boat for an hour drinking a beer, thinking of what to do next.

If you do enjoy the project, it's very rewarding to tear a boat down and bring it back to something that will get another 20 years or more use. You also learn alot about these boats when you tear it down to a bare hull.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Heck, there are times, I just stare at the boat for an hour drinking beer, thinking what have I done!   

BKH

Brian
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:56pm

Tim,

My Excel (V-drive) and my Air206 (DD) handle, ski and function very differently for my family. You absolutely need to be in both and drive both. We found "living" in the Excel to be VERY easy with the arena seating..... very comfortable..... but the wake, handling and ski-ability of the Direct Drive is amazing. The Excel was great for when the kids were little and we were beginner skiers..... the Air is great for what we do now..... your intended use determines hull design.

As far as repair, my Correct Craft v-drive had adequate space for general repair. In fact it is a little harder twisting my body in tight spaces working on my little direct drive Ski Tique.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 8:32pm
Thanks for your input everyone.

Last year I bought a Ski Supreme project and spent most of the summer working on it and not much of the summer skiing.

After the completion of that project I figured I would have more time over the winter to work on the BFN. This was not the case.

I am pretty sure you have all confirmed what I have thought all along.
Sell both the BFN and the Supreme. Let somebody else enjoy them so that I can buy the Super Sport and enjoy the water.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 10:13pm
And just in case I win the lottery tomorrow...

What is the difference between a Super Air 210 and Super Air 230?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 10:57pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I'm currently working on a project boat because I enjoy the project. It relaxes me and takes my mind off other things.
If you do enjoy the project, it's very rewarding to tear a boat down and bring it back to something that will get another 20 years or more use. You also learn alot about these boats when you tear it down to a bare hull.
BKH

Bottom line Brian, that and the family is what it is all about. The side benefit is is all the friends we meet here.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 11:36pm

Potentially a lot of money......
210s (21 ft) came out first....thereby purchased used at a lower price.
230s are bigger boats (23 ft) and came out several years later...more money.

If I wanted to get in a small project boat at a lower cost, I would look for a 94 or later SuperSport (No wood stringers) and enjoy..... maybe even a tower. 230's are gonna be some major coin.

Check out PlanetNautique.com for more recent model info. This site is primarily oriented for "Correct Crafts" ....... PN is geared toward "Nautiques".

Keep looking around..... that is a ton of fun... (I'll take the BFN of your hands - if my wife says its OK    )

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Potentially a lot of money......
210s (21 ft) came out first....thereby purchased used at a lower price.
230s are bigger boats (23 ft) and came out several years later...more money.

If I wanted to get in a small project boat at a lower cost, I would look for a 94 or later SuperSport (No wood stringers) and enjoy..... maybe even a tower. 230's are gonna be some major coin.

Check out PlanetNautique.com for more recent model info. This site is primarily oriented for "Correct Crafts" ....... PN is geared toward "Nautiques".

Keep looking around..... that is a ton of fun... (I'll take the BFN of your hands - if my wife says its OK    )

Thanks for the info. I was hoping there was a bigger difference than 20 horse power. The numbering makes sense now. So a Ski Nautique 190 would be a 19 ft boat.

So another dumb question. Correct Craft refers to more of the classic boats? and Nautiques refers to the newer boats?

The BFN is now listed on the For Sale portion of the site. I'll probably start wet sanding the hull this weekend.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 12:40pm

So another dumb question. Correct Craft refers to more of the classic boats? and Nautiques refers to the newer boats?

The BFN is now listed on the For Sale portion of the site. I'll probably start wet sanding the hull this weekend.

Yup - CorrectCraft began using the Nautiques name to advertise/Market their line more aggressively in the 90's. Same manufacturer but different marketing feel and swag. Some purests on this site really do not care for the Nautique branding used currently. It is a matter of taste, form and function..... they all are neat boats!

I'll get my wife to look in the for sale section!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 1:00pm

Thanks for the info. I was hoping there was a bigger difference than 20 horse power. The numbering makes sense now. So a Ski Nautique 190 would be a 19 ft boat.

The model designation is a reference to the approximate length (not horsepower). No such thing as a Ski Nautique 190, but the 196 was approximately 19'6" (actually listed at 19'5.25" '07-09).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 1:47pm

The BFN is a desirable boat, though the market for one is quite small! There are lways plenty project BFNs for sale, I don't think your boat is worth more than $2k.

Air 206,

If it helps, let your wife know that I would be willing to part with it for $2k. It is currently listed at $2500 obo / trade.

I need to start saving for my pro air or super sport
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 2:05pm
Robert:

I have been keeping my eye out for a 94-95 Super Sport as a boat for my kids (and sister-in-law who lives down the lake). They are few and far between..... but the hunt is what is the fun........ buying just makes you work!

Steve
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 3:18pm
Steve, Just and FYI. I believe 95 was the first year for Super Sports.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 3:31pm
Yup... you are right. We had an Excel and we watched that morph into the Super Sport. Kinda remembered 94-95 was the transition; makes sense. We loved our Excel.... but I was encouraging the years without fir stringers for Robert. Be it Excel or Super Sport..... fine, comfy boats but not slalom machines.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 4:33pm

Robert:

I have been keeping my eye out for a 94-95 Super Sport as a boat for my kids (and sister-in-law who lives down the lake). They are few and far between..... but the hunt is what is the fun........ buying just makes you work!

Steve

Thats exactly why I am starting my hunt now! Should have my truck (Ford F-150) paid off by spring. So between that and selling the BFN and Supreme maybe I could convince the bank to give me a loan and move straight into a SAN!

Do the newer Nautiques still use Ford motors?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 4:41pm

Do the newer Nautiques still use Ford motors?

Nope, The Ford motors are no longer available for marinization.... changed happened several years ago (look in the brochure sections for powerplant options - 2003 Nautiques) Not sure exactly when the change happened b/c many Fords were in the PCM pipeline when Ford pulled out. Many boats still came with them after Chevy became the engine provider.

BTW - I LOVE my Chevy 6 liter in the Air!! Never thought I would go for a closed-cooled engine but it is soooo convenient for us.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 5:12pm

Nope, The Ford motors are no longer available for marinization....

That settles it. I have to look for a Super Sport with a Ford now... Wish me luck...
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 12:42am
Do you guys consider it any kind of problem to buy a boat with a Ford engine considering they stopped marinizing them?

Would a good condition Ford powered boat with low hours be just as good as a Chevy powered one? I'm just thinking in terms of maintenance down the road. I think power wise, I'd be fine with either for my purposes.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 9:46am

Nope, The Ford motors are no longer available for marinization....

That settles it. I have to look for a Super Sport with a Ford now.

You could also dump the F150 and get a matching Chev P/U!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Do you guys consider it any kind of problem to buy a boat with a Ford engine considering they stopped marinizing them?

Would a good condition Ford powered boat with low hours be just as good as a Chevy powered one? I'm just thinking in terms of maintenance down the road.

Your concern is maintenance? Parts? Take a look at how many say pre 90 boats are here on CCfan - Both Chev and Ford. Doesn't seem to be a problem keeping them running compared to the newer ones. Infact, the newer ones sometimes seem to have even more issues. Plus, forget about doing anything to them yourself unless you go out and get hundreds in diagnostic equipment.

Engine age sometimes plays into getting parts but I'm talking about real old. So far, no problems for my 77, 64 and 54 but yes, my 1927 some parts can be a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic