NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter project: little army truck restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter project: little army truck restoration
    Posted: January-24-2010 at 6:16pm
Well, anyone who lives in parts of the world where there's something known as "off season" (also known as "winter") has to keep himself busy with projects to keep his mind off water, skiing and boats...
So do we over here...

It has been sitting in the shop of Jo Nautique's dad for quite some time, but we all are in the process of bringing this truck back to life.
The truck is known as an "Unimog 406". It's a little multi purpose truck from Mercedes-Benz with a diesel engine, used by among others the army, the fire dept and other civil services...
The one we are restoring was a truck used in my unit before the Belgian army upgraded to the new version of this Unimog.

Here are a few pictures of what it looks like (different versions):

Here are a couple of pics about our progress so far.
Stripped down chassis:

Engine and cabin sandblasted and repainted:

Chassis repainted with 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of matt black paint. Engine back in its place. Starting to put back hoses and other attatchments:

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 6:48pm
practical yet useful, 200 speed?lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 6:54pm
Yes Eric, there are enough levers on this thing LOL.
But they are very strong little guys...
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 7:15pm
Is this the new tow vehicle?!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 7:16pm
Any chance of getting that thing over here for Lake George this year so that I can actually get my boat in and out at Silver Dollar Beach?
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Is this the new tow vehicle?!

Oh... I'm pretty sure it will tow the CC more than once this summer... It's all about making a good impression at the ramp you know

Larry,
Whish I could help you out on that one, I would do it with pleasure to help a CCF friend. But, unfortunately, I think this is gonna be a little bit tricky...

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 8:31pm
Their really are RedNecks in Belgium
Down here in the south that would be a Mud-en truck!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 10:25pm
very cool
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 11:00pm

That's what I call a real Hummer...

Looks fun to drive !

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

Someone just got a closing signature line....
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 2:28am
Don't worry guys, some people have already done the importing for you. This is the coolest one on e-shank right now.
My Blue 82SOLD!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 2:57am
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

Someone just got a closing signature line....

You got it Critter!!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 9:57am
Our snomo club had one in the late 70's for pulling the trail groomer. They were tired of the high repair/maintenance needed on the tracks of the Snocats they were using. One of the local heavy equipment dealers sold the club on using and purchasing a Unimog. The only problem was they kept on sinking it in swamps!! Used it for 1/2 season and then had to go back to tracked groomers. Now most clubs are back to wheels but they are 4WD farm tractors with high floation or dual front and rear tires.

BTW, they had a real hard time selling that Unimog. It sat for I'd say at least 5 years. Ended up selling it to another club who didn't have any trails through swamps at a deep discount too.

Cool vehicle though!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 10:29am
it may have wound up down here Pete, i guy had one up the street with a plow on it, it was priced at 4k
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 2:12pm
A restored one sells easy for 15 to 18K over here...
This is the fourth one Jo's dad restores.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 5:23pm
Alps., Appalacian mountains, many similarities
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 7:24pm
Those are very special trucks. The MB dealer near us uses one to plow their lots- that thing is a monster.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 3:08pm
Worked a little more on the truck last weekend.
Got the exhaust sanded ant repainted. Worked on the fuel line. And we started on the cabin.
Got it out of its corner and started mounting bits and pieces on it, like the head lights, a few electrical lines, parts of the ventilation system and heating system and refurbishing the dials and buttons of the dash...

Just two pics (didn't have the camera with me, so just made two with my cell phone)...

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 12:38pm
Kristof,
That is soooo cool! What year is it?
Mannn , Id love to put a 10 foot V plow on that dude!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 5:43pm
Steve,
It's from 1972.
It's gonna get a plow on it! And also a mower on the back.
My buddy has an old tractor with a mower he's gonna sell. With that money he's gonna get a plow and a mower for the Unimog. His sons and I are trying to convince him to buy a crane for it like in the picture in my first post above. We found one for sale on the internet for 1000 euro (1400$)...
That way it will really be a multi-role vehicle.

I just can't wait to pull the boat with it

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

So you could plow more leaves???!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You gotta admit... dad had a great idea!... too bad he didnt think of it while I was still at home...

What kind/size of plows do you guys run?...any "V"s ?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2010 at 4:45pm
Got a call from Jo's dad at work today, asking if I could come over to their place. We were gonna put the cabin back on the chassis. Of course I could come over!
Here are some pics of today's work (again, I forgot the camera and used my cell phone):

Everything went fine, untill the cabin was almost in place. Then we had to do some retrofitting, because the brackets on the cabin did not match the mount on the chassis... (That's what happens when you assemble a cabin on a chassis that comes from a slightly different model ).

But, in the end, it's back in the shop with the cabin in place

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 6:19pm
So we did some more work on our little big toy

Update pics:

Head lights, grill and chrome trims...

Engine bay with most parts installed such as hoses, radiator, windshield wipers,...

Hydraulics and couplings...

Dials back in place...

Took two days off this week to work on it some more.
We installed the interior heating system, interior carpet, seats and rear view mirrors. Tested the engine and cooling system, refurbished and intalled the door handles and some other miscellanious parts.
Coming weekend, we're gonna tangle with the electrical system...
Still lots to do before it will be finished.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 11:00pm
and here i thought you guys loved your duct tape and bailing wire
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2010 at 12:18am
I love Unimogs. One of these days when I have the land, money and time I hope to have one.
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2010 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Oh... I'm pretty sure it will tow the CC more than once this summer... It's all about making a good impression at the ramp you know

Your CC trailer has a pintle hitch?
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2010 at 10:12am
Originally posted by skfitz skfitz wrote:

Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Your CC trailer has a pintle hitch?

The Unimog has a custom made hitch besides the standard one so we can tow standard trailers with it.
Custom made by ourselves off course...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2010 at 2:03pm
hey Kristoff, I see lots of work there but not a single jupiler!!!
Just waiting to see the finished product.
What engine is in there, the 68cv diesel?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic