Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Problems??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Problems??
    Posted: May-09-2005 at 10:28pm
When I start my boat it will only run at half throttle . It will not idle. The secondarys are not getting fuel at all?? Its like I am not getting enough fuel. When I remove the fuel line the pump puts out alot of fuel. I just replaced the fuel line from the pump to carb. could this cause a air bubble?? Has this ever happen to anyone else if so how did you fix it???
Thanks -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 10:57pm
Brad,

What engine are you running? What kind of carburator do you have? Did the problem begin all-of-a-sudden? Have you performed any work or maintenance on the engine recently? What year engine / carb do you have?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 11:39pm
I have a 1976 ski nautique, with a 351w. The carb is a 600cfm holly vac secondaries. The original. As far as maintenance I just put a new hei dist and a edelbrock intake. While doing so I removed the carb no adjustments just set it aside. I am dieing to hear this thing run but all it will do is run reved up. if i back off the throttle it just dies. The timing is correct and it actually runs smooth it just requires alot of throttle to run at all. No low rpm idle. ??????
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 12:59am
Have you checked for vacuum leaks around your new intake manifold? That could cause problems like you're describing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 7:53am
I tried cheaking for vacuum leaks and found none. Could the intake be leaking on the inside or on the bottom of the intake port? It is not as easy as just slidding the old dist. back in. I had to use the gear off my old one. I think the fire is fine, its a fuel problem. I poored fuel down in the carb. and it will come very close to an idle. For what ever reason the fuel is not coming out of the carb like it should. I dont know guys, I think I will give it a break I am getting frustrated with this thing. I need help! -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2005 at 2:35pm
If you are expecting the secondary's to open they will not unless it is under a load and sitting still out of gear and reved up is not any load at all. I would open up the idle air screws and adjust the idle and this may take several adjustments before you get it right a vacuum gage will help but you have to get the idle down first before you can adjust it. If the idle is to high then you are pulling it off of the idle cuircut and the adjustments will have no effect. make sure you have no vaccuum leaks first and it can leak around the intake and heads. Make sure it is not leaking around the PVC as well.
Rob View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 5:05pm
How did you tighten down the intake? What degree timing did you give it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 12:09am
Well problem solved. I used smoke to find a small leak where my spacer meets the intake. This was a very small gap, so small you couldn't see or hear the leak. Just as you all
suspected the fuel was not being pulled into the intake due to a vacumm leak. The motor now very peppy and revs very fast. There will be a water test tomarrow. Thanks agian guys for all your help.   I will let you know how it pulls.    -Brad
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic