Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Vibration

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rand View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Vibration
    Posted: May-06-2005 at 5:37am
How much engine vibration is normal? At idle, around 700 rpms, the engine vibrates enough to shake everything a little. ie. steering wheel. It is a 1982 ski nautique.

But under acceleration or above 1200 rpms, it smooths out.

Also I just dewinterized my boat, do I need to change my sparks plugs if I used fouling oil when it was winterized. thanks
gordonw View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordonw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2005 at 7:25pm
my engine idles pretty smooth but yes, enough to shake the boat a little. IS the shaking consistant or does the virbration come and go in waves? I replace my plugs every year as a general tune up response.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 12:33am
I brought my timing up by 10 degrees and turned my idle down since I gained RPMs. I noticed a HUGE difference in Idle smoothness and overall performace. This has been this way for years, and the engine still runs strong at just over 1000 hrs. I also find it starts right up after its hot and sitting for 5 minutes. I used to have to give it a little gas to restart-not any more, just hit the key! I confirmed this again last summer when I backed it down to spec. I also hardly ever change plugs, its a waste of $$$. If they look good, generally they are OK. Points are #1 headache. I would go through points 5 to 1 over plugs. The plugs clear right up once you get her hot unless theres a mixture problem etc.
gordonw View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordonw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 3:16pm
get rid of the points! I have a ylm 554cv mallory marine distributer and the coil also. no points no problems. no timing adjustments for the most part. so if it begins to run bad it's the carb. if your motor runs better with the timing advanced 10 degrees at idle you have some kind of issue with ignition possibly. this is if i have read your post correctly. advancing the timing will increase the rpm. then your lowering the idle by fuel? all i know is that if these boats don't idle super strong at a low rpm life just sucks on the water.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic