Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Faded dash (black)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
richardsoncd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardsoncd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faded dash (black)
    Posted: May-05-2005 at 7:27pm
Anyone have advice on bringing a black faded dash on a late 70's tique back to life?
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2005 at 7:25am
The dash on my 1980 barsfoot was pretty fadded, i used a colour restoring polish and then a wax and it came out pretty well.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2005 at 2:48pm
If that does not work, then color sand the gelcoat and polish. Start with 400 and work up to 600 minimum or 900 best. Use a rigid sanding block when working with 400 grit (not rubber) to avoid creating low spots. Use wet/dry sand paper with plenty of soapy water. Then use a course rubbing compound with electric buffer (not cheap polisher like you can buy at Home Depot). Follow with wax.

Incidently, I would suggest you remove the windsheild to have better access and avoid leaving unsanded spots. Also remove mirrors, glove box lids, instrument panels, etc. as applicable.
richardsoncd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardsoncd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2005 at 4:33pm
Thanks for the advice. I will let you know.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2005 at 1:34pm
I just helped a friend redo a 1976 Ski Nautique and we used 3m products heavy oxidation remover and then 3m finess it , It looks like a million bucks .
Mike
Suds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2005 at 9:28pm
Aqua-Buff, 2 step process.
Later,
Suds
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2005 at 9:20am
buff it
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2005 at 2:14am
David F-

Just curious why you always advise using a wood sanding block rather than a rubber block?
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2005 at 10:07pm
Sanding is not exactly the cool way to go. Use this buffer http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46507 and some 3M heavy ox remover on the 1st or second setting. After that finish out with the other steps of 3M process or cheat by using their finish restoring bottle which buffs and waxes.

I had a friend wet sanded most of his boat and he wanted to beat himself up whe realized the time and result benefits of using the buffer setup.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2005 at 12:23pm
richardsoncd,
My 84 has the black dash.
Alot of times it looks faded/water spots/etc.
Last year I went over my entire hull with:
1st - 50/50 Water & Vinegar - Then rinsed.
2nd - Penetrol - Really brought the black dash back! (just be careful around any Pinstripes/Decals.)
3rd - Fineshed off w/ Lemon Pledge - Really shines it up.

nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2005 at 7:18pm
Remove windshield, gauges, prep for paint, repaint with PPG concept paint, reassemble looks like a million bucks and all i do is keep the dust off it. This seems like a lot of work but the results are great. Also faded gelcoat just will not retain gloss for very long.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2005 at 2:38pm
82tique:

Rubber sanding blocks will follow imperfections in the surface and accentuate them. If you use a rigid sanding block, then you will remove the high spots and glide over the low spots and not make the low spots deeper.

Also with rubber, if uneven pressure is applied, then you can start a wavy surface by digging in then the process mentioned above starts.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2005 at 5:05pm
Dave F-

Thanks....makes good sense.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic