NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Show me your garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 4:13pm
Marty,
What do they set those metal buildings on? Blocks and then earth anchors?

Tell me more about the last picture (and the boat). Looks like a interesting hull with the steps. Gar Wood pioneered a lot of the early stepped hull designs.

BTW, doesn't that contractor that put it up have a tape measure? Of course, there's a saying that "the third time is the charm"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 8:34pm
They put the metal carports directly on 'your' level ground. Off course it wasn't level because it was bigger than my level pad originally. So the dug and moved some dirt, pilled it up, packed it and and went at it. It has 8 -3 foot long rebar spikes, with the nuts welded on them and then it has 8- 3 foot long spiral screws--mobile home tie downs-- as per City Code. It's solid and if it gets blown away, the manufacturer takes care of replacement!
My sister is getting her driveway- re-concreted, so when that happens, I'll do my pad. It's just $250 more for the concrete then, I'll do all the leveling and such.

The boat is a 43 foot Cat, being special built for some billionaire in Asia at the Old Hatteras Yachts Building down the road from me in High Point.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

My sister is getting her driveway- re-concreted, so when that happens, I'll do my pad. It's just $250 more for the concrete then, I'll do all the leveling and such.

So when you have the pad poured, you'll unbolt it from the earth anchors, raise it and have the pad poured under the walls?

Thanks for the info on the boat. Any more details??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 9:50pm
Pretty much so.I might just dig out before, make some forms, backfill with concrete, then do the floor.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 7:34pm
I'm sure glad I'm going up north this coming Saturday for 10 days. The last time I saw it in person, the floor wasn't even poured!! I'm about to go into withdrawal!! The OH door contractor will install the door this Thursday. The standing seam metal roof has been on backorder and now I'm told will be showing up tomorrow. At least I'm getting pictures emailed to me. This one is from Charlie (Brady) who was up there this last weekend.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 8:03pm
Finally... a permanent home for your woodie!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:42am
Very nice pete! What was the finish date supposed to be?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 8:50am
Chris,
I suspect sometime in Oct. they will be painting the interior which is the last step. I hope so since everything comes to a dead stop during deer (gun) season!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 9:32pm
Pete is that a board and batten over t111?   if so its a great idea. and what is the front office type space.
Marty explain what that cat boat is?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Pete is that a board and batten over t111?   if so its a great idea. and what is the front office type space.

Peter,
Yes it is rough saw ply but when you get the groves on 12" centers they don't call it T 111. I made the mistake of calling it that as well and of course I don't remember what it's called!! You can go with just plain rough sawn ply but the groves on the 12" centers make it real easy to locate the battens!

The low section of roof is a full bath since the bunk house is about 15' away and can utilize it. In the middle is the utility room for the boiler with "side arm" domestic hot water tank, dust collect, air compressor and refrigerated dryer if needed. Then on the far end is a storage room.

My office will be the shop!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 10:53pm
A catamaran style cigarette ocean boat. Forgot what he said it was gonna be powered with, 2 Mercrusier or Mercury motors, I think.
66 Skylark
93 SN
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 2:23am
This is where I currently am with my garage project.

Just have to square off the sides and put front headers for the doors. then put double plate on, 11ft ceilings inside, engine hoist beam, and then an apartment up top eventually.

-Phil
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 9:16am
Phil,
Why all the columns? Aren't you going with trusses to give you a clear span? I see you have the W beams positioned for pulling a engine but what about lifting a boat? Is this garage for just cars? Now's the time to throw a couple more W beams up there.

Keep it up, winters just around the corner!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 12:30pm
Pete,

The building had to be engineered so we had to put all the steel in the way it is. the Ibeam on right side will hold 2 tons the engineer said, the ibeam laying on top of the other is going to be in between the silent floor Joice, plywood then build 2nd floor. We have to have the ridge beam that is going to be 13ft to the top. barn style with shed roof for windows and shed roof for back deck. 960sq ft appartment. garage bay on left will be 18x10 door and on right will be 10x10 bay which has the engine hoist beam or to lift boat off trailer. We might also have a access cover for the beam on the left to be used as well if need be.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 1:12pm
Phil,
I just hate to see columns in the middle of a garage/shop upsetting what could be a open area. They will get in your way!!!

I'm assuming you needed to hire this engineer due to local codes. I wish you had posted the project earlier because I really feel you picked a engineer who is used to doing homes where a center support beam is needed in the basement to support the floor joists due to the overall span.

You mentioned "silent" floor so here again I'm assuming you are using a engineered floor joist system. Even using the highest live load rating, they will span 33' supporting the second floor (36' with the lower live load rating). Is your project wider than that?

Regarding the W beams, they too will easily span well over 33'. It's just a matter of sizing the beam correctly. The same W beams could have serviced both bays.

Getting back to my comment on your "engine hoisting beam", you said you'll use it to hoist a boat as well? You need two lifting points to do that and the reason I mentioned now's the time to add more beams.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 2:04pm
30ft deep by 38 wide

my plan on lifting boat was to put some sort of block on transom ground and use front lift ring to be able to pull trailer out, I am going to buy boat dolly's so I can tuck our 85 into the back left corner during winter. I totally agree it would have been nice to not have that column in the middle. But the town here is very strict and the guy we bought the steel from needed it engineered and approved by town before we could get steel put in. Could we use LVL or whatever in replacement to W beams and put I hooks with steel plate on the top side?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 3:39pm
Phil,
I see now that running the floor joists the 38' width is the issue however that engineer certainly didn't think things through nor did he do you any favors. With a decent engineer, even the toughest local codes do not come to play. It's too late now but you would have been better off running the joists the 30' span and then two W beams right up the center of each bay. Then you would have ended up with a clear span throughout. With the 10' OH doors and the 11' ceilings, the 1' is still plenty to use some steel in the OH door headers.

Still, I'm sure you'll be enjoying having a real nice shop/garage to play in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2010 at 9:46am
Pete,
Safe trip up and have fun working on your new shop! I only wish I could be there to help.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2010 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Brady Brady wrote:

Pete,
Safe trip up and have fun working on your new shop! I only wish I could be there to help.

Me too!

You have a safe trip east as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2010 at 12:51pm
Hey Marty
It is great to live in the south where the metal buildings reign supreme! I had a run down "model t" garage add on deep on my property when I bought it. It was structurely sound, so I fenced it to hide most of the hodgepodge of siding, and then planted a 20 x 30 metal building in front of it to hide the rest. I got the boxed eave model (with 1' overhang)with 10' sides giving me a 15' ceiling and a 10' roll up door. My flooring? Don't laugh. Roll roofing! Since I was pressed for time and money, I put down the roll roofing in 2 layers and I planned to pull it out and pour a slab later, but the roll roofing has held up so well, its hard to replace it! I can sweep it and with scraps of plywood, I can use jacks or do pretty much what I need to do. There have been gouges etc, but a $30 roll of new roofing cures a lot of gouges. I still plan on replacing the floor, but its hard to make the "priorities" list. I think the building was $3,800 5 years ago. Heat? Portable kerosene heat. Cooling? 5 box fans. Bathroom?......................Bathroom?................uh, this is the south for #1. No, not really I still go inside but I have another out building that has a potty so I do not have to go in the house. I love your new set up!
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2010 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Kind of embarrased to post photos of my man shed after seeing all of these kick a@@ garages, but it's all I've got for now. My buddies rib me and say it looks more like a dollhouse, but it stores my tools and shields the boat from rain and direct sunlight.

Steve,
That is a true southern shed! Deceptively large with plenty of open air. Its great. I can see it as somewhat of a problem with your buddies. Could you add something to man it up like a large screen tv with ESPN blairing 24/7? How about some NASCAR paraphernalia? If you pulled a rusty truck with a blue tarp on it right in front, it would do the trick as well.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2010 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm sure glad I'm going up north this coming Saturday for 10 days. The last time I saw it in person, the floor wasn't even poured!! I'm about to go into withdrawal!! The OH door contractor will install the door this Thursday. The standing seam metal roof has been on backorder and now I'm told will be showing up tomorrow. At least I'm getting pictures emailed to me. This one is from Charlie (Brady) who was up there this last weekend.

My jealousy knows no bounds. THAT is a mancave.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 10:38am
Any updates? I want to see more pics.........
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 11:49pm
No pics but the overhead door is in and the metal roof is on. Pete finished up putting in the duct work for his dust collector system. He should be back shortly with some updates.....
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 11:09am
ah....OH, overhead...im thinking a guy from Ohio came up
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2010 at 8:16pm
It's hard to show the overall dust duct work installation but here's a couple pictures. There are 9 drops through the ceiling, 3 are at the walls servicing one or two pieces of equipment and two go to the floor for floor sweeps.   

The custom angle elbows I made to match the roof pitch worked out great. I could have used a 90 but then the lateral run would have needed a couple 45's to create the elevation offset. One 90 (or two 45's) adds a friction loss equal to 10' of pipe. I wanted to avoid that.

Adding some architectural accent, the GC finished the fake scissors trusses that go on each gable end. They will be painted the same charcoal gray as the roof which will contrast the light gray of the batten on board siding.

Drywall will be going in next week. Then the GC will blow the ceiling insulation.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2010 at 9:13pm
Awesome Pete! Glad you made it back!

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2010 at 9:24pm
Pete, Great job on the ducting in your wood mill in WI and the neighbors think its a garage nice one,its shaping up real well I can see a lot of thought has gone into it, best looking wood mill I have seen.

Welcome back its not been the same on here.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 9:51am
Well, the expected inevitable has happened. The shop project has ground to a hault waiting for the drywallers. Deer (bow) season is now open!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 1:21pm
great looking garage, how are you running your floor heat(gas,elec,wood,geothermal)?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 12>
  Share Topic