NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

returning point ..back on track!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: returning point ..back on track!!!
    Posted: October-25-2009 at 2:47pm
finally engine is going in....

I stayed working on her yesterday from 3pm to 9pm.. putting all the conections..hoses wiring the engine..etc..also reconecting the stereo and the lights on the comb panels...
By tuesday is has to be in the water as my frined shop need the place to take the his clients cars....

I only need to finish the aligment and then put the exhaust

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2009 at 2:50pm
Nice!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2009 at 5:58pm
Bet you can't wait take your son out on the water!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2009 at 11:08pm
atta boy Kap, coming right along
"the things you own will start to own you"
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 6:31am
Yep, I'll bet it itches everywhere... The tension must reach it's peak by now Seb!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 2:37pm
I primed the fuel system with the inline hand pump(those used in the outboard engines) i have in the hose and the fuel pump started leaking from the lower bowl gasket...I adjusted the input hose and that stopped the leak..but anyway when applyng pressure it seems to blow some bubbles out of that gasket..is it possible its due to the shrinkeage of the gasket for being dry for a while? can that bowl be adjusted..my pump is not ribeted, it have some bolts so it can be opened...
so do you think with the use it will expand the gasket and stop the leak or better open it and adjust?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 4:22pm
I balieve it will expand... but since you've come such a loooong way with this rebuild...
You could open it with extreme caution so you dont damage the diaphgram, make a new gasket a roll on!!!!!

I will call you later so you put me up to date and to wish you luck in the maiden voyage!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 2:57pm
went today with the goal of making the engine run...It did in the first attemp..everything checked ok...we set a little bit the dizzy, until it run smooth moves the carb screws...and thats it....sweet sound to my ears...I have some vids that I uploaded to YT so when they are ready I´ll put the link....
some pics here of the boat at the marina

This are the good news....bad news..I think I´m off with the alligment..Egine Is very high even the front mounts are in the lower position its still a touch high..I think is due to the fact that the engine cradla was bolted over the carpet thus making it sit some 1/4" higher...I have A lot of difference at the coupler to trans top to bottom I have no light in top and the bottom I cam put .012 or more i think...
The other problem is I think I will need to rebuilt the starter...It will move ok when cold but once the engine is warm it gets very heavy..It turns heavy and then it will start...I could be the battery being a little weak. didn´t have the tester so I couldn´t check..But I guess is the starter As even with a jump start batery (with not so good cables) It was heavy on the cranking.....

here is one of the vids...
she fires...
You can hear the heavy crancking...

i have problems with the second one..I´ll try to figure out..
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 3:17pm
problem solved..here goes the other one...
sweet sound
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 3:36pm
At least the fuel pump quit leaking....
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:05pm
Starter works good cold but not when Hot , back off on your timing a few degrees.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:13pm
Good on cold I think I mistaken..you can see the fist video is the first start it did and there the starter was kind of heavy also..It would hesitate the first two turns then it will spin right....
But when hot..It much heavier...
We moved the dizzy a touch to leave it within specs..but didn´t change much..remember it has the protec ign...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:19pm
alignment?????
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:23pm
Congrats Kap! It's got to be a great feeling to hear that thing crank again!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Starter works good cold but not when Hot , back off on your timing a few degrees.

x2
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

alignment?????

not allingned yet..no test drive..only fired the engine..I didn´t have enough time to figure out were to start to try fix it...I think the easiest way is to remove the front mounts and replace the lower nut by another one narrower in order to let the engine go lower...
The more drastic solution is to remove engine cradle cut the carpet below it and bolt it again but that means I need to take the boat back to the shop....
I´t just try the first option...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 4:32pm
Or maybe I´m bad with the strut alligment... but at glance it seems to be ok...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 5:39pm
Sweet sound indeed Sebastian!
BTW, cool dock ties you got there.I think I saw those before somewhere .

About the cradle hight, strut and alignment... Pictures man, pictures!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 7:36pm
Congrats Sebastian just a few tweaks here and there and your set
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2009 at 8:28pm
is the crane man drinking a Budweiser?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 12:39am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

is the crane man drinking a Budweiser?

yes he Is!!!
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 1:10am
that's one sexy boat, I really miss the purple 195.
that is in Albardon right?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 1:38am
thats right luch..
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 7:10pm
I was there today but not much I could do as on fridays there a lot of movement on the marina and they don´t let to work on the boat..so I had to put in in the water if I wanted to play with it I wanted to check the position of the shaft on the log..but as being in the water that was not possible....now trying to raise the back of the engine I foung the port tranny mount I have a stuborn adjustment nut..It won´t move...I gues I will have to slam it with a hammer and chisel to work it in situ or remove the mount and work it a bench..and replace the nut..
I think that putting the back of the engine I will be able to close the gap a little bit as long as the shaft remains centered on the log...
I will go on tueday woth the right tools to try finish this thing out...
As for the engine I narrow the problem into a battery or starter issue as moving the dizzy didn´t make any difference...
I fired it today and It gave two slow cranks and it started fine..it was on for 5 minutes until it went of while idling.. (i still need to adjust a little) and then It would start no more..even after being of for 30 minutes when trying to crank it it will go very slow..And hod to quit as the cables were getting hot!! another possibility it the cables are bad somewhere in the routing thus not drawing the necesary current...Strange thing is that some weeks ago I used this battery on the corvette (as the in it had discrarged due to not use) and it turned like a champ....
So I lean to a starter issue....
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 7:26pm
lean there but check your voltage at the starter during cranking
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 7:34pm
will do it on tuesday I´ll take the tester to do some volt reading while cranking..I will also take another battery with some good wide cables...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

BTW, cool dock ties you got there.I think I saw those before somewhere .

Everybody that looks them wants a pair of those.....
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 10:27pm
My bet is the starter cant handle the new/hard compressed engine, less when it's hot and more compressed.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2009 at 11:00pm
Or he has a bad ground. Did you paint the motor and then install the starter? The starter might have high resistance to ground because of the paint
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 3:08pm
did some wrenching today morning..goal was to determine how off I was with aligment and position of the shaft inside the log to see if the engine needed to be in a higher or lower than the actual position (lowest possible in the front mounts) so I disconected the shaft seal hose and the shaft was almost sitting in the lower part of the log!!! so definetely engine needs to go up!!! Now the problem I had is the stuborn nut on the port back engine mount. I heated with a hand torch and tried to hit it with a hammer and chissel but no luck so I jacked the engine and removed the whole mount to work it in the shop..It took me a while to remove the lower bolt that attaches the mount to the tranny!! tight space under there LOL..Finally I got it out. I also removed the Starter to take it for a rebuilt (also hard w/o the proper tools).

this is shaft to log actual position

this is shat to strut

and this what the starters looks like..for what the guy at the starter shop it´s not that bad..

At the shop and with the bench vise I was able to let the mount nut loose. Now it moves like a charm.
I hope starter is ready tomorrow so I can go on thrusday and put everything back toghether and go for a ride!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic