NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gas (petrol) leaking from the breather

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gas (petrol) leaking from the breather
    Posted: April-21-2005 at 1:15pm
Another question to add to the list

It seems every time I take my boat out (1980 barefoot) I am getting quite a lot of fuel leaking out of the back of the boat from what I think is the breather in the top left hand corner, could this be because I am just over filling the tank or what? The fuel gauge only normally reads 3/4 full once I have filled up anyway.

Also the gas that has leaked out is staining the gel coat, I have tried polishing it out with auto polish but that won’t budge it, any suggestions to get the stain out?

I will try and get a pic tonight to give a better idea of what i am talking about

Cheers
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2005 at 1:28pm
It sound like you are talking about the vent on the stern of the boat and not breather. Anyway if it is the vent replace the hose with a longer hose and put a couple of lops in it so the the high point of the loops are above the vent and this should take care of the problem of the leak. For the stain try rustout or wet sanding with 800-1000 grit papper.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2005 at 6:19pm
My '77 has the same problem that I live with. I purchased a device from SKIDIM that is suppose to stop this problem for installation on my '93. Problem is that the device must be mounted vertical or no less than 60 degrees to vertical. Given the space in the '93, I cannot see how this is going to be accomplished. Not even sure there is enough room to loop the 5/8" ID hose.

If a loop is used, I would caution against having any portion of the hose lower than the tank fitting.

Brad: If you want the device I purchased, I might be willingly to let it go at a 20% discount.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2005 at 7:44pm
I am with David,Use caution with the loop. I installed a one-way valve, it's like a fitting with a ball and very weak spring, never again had a issue. It's called a Anti-Siphon valve not sure where I got it, maybe west marine or somthing
NO LONGER A MEMBER
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2005 at 11:59am
I guess I should have said that the top of the loops need to be as high as possible. Since it was a 1980 the vent should be exactly where mine is which is above the tank. I was talking to my neighbor (my parts supplier) about the air-shiphon valve and he is the one that told me about the loop trick. It's how they do it at the boat plant where he works.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2005 at 12:19pm
I like the loop idea. I would take the precaution of straping the top of the loop to the underside of the deck to prevent it from falling over and trapping gasoline.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic