Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker Help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
BlueChip View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueChip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker Help!
    Posted: April-17-2005 at 4:55am
I have an '82 Ski Nuatique. I want to put my 4 speakers in the side of the hull. Not the outside, but the inside of the hull. Basically in the same place where the throttle is, but on either side of the stainless rail. Is this OK? If not, WHERE SHOULD I PUT SPEAKERS FOR AN '82 NAUTIQUE???? Please help, thanks.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2005 at 10:53am
There should be plenty of room to install speakers on your elbow panels (I think that's the right name). Your going to have to remove the panels to make the cut-outs, and you'll also have to remove some foam. I'm going to install 2 fwd speakers this way.   I'm also putting in 2 rear box speakers but I haven't decided how I'm going to mount them yet.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2005 at 4:12pm
Just make sure they are 4 ohm speakers.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2005 at 8:18pm
I would only use 4 ohm speakers if the head unit and/or amp (if used) is stable enough to handle the 4 ohm rating. Most head units require 8 ohm speakers and most newer amps are stable down to 2 ohms but double check the owners manual first to be sure you don't burn it up.

I actually use home indoor/outdoor speakers and mounted the brackets to the self/ledge on the sides so I didn't have to cut holes into anything. I also remove them when I'm not out boating but I leave mine in the water the whole season and don't want to get ripped off.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 12:20pm
79nautique
Got any pics?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 3:49pm
I'll have to borrow a digital camera and take some I need other pictures so that I can add my boat to the diaries.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 4:03pm
Home stereo is usually 8 ohm, and car stereo is 4 ohm. If you use 8 ohm speakers in a car stereo they will not play very loud. 4 ohms is less resistance. And remember clipping will ruin your speakers. The best box speaker that is easy to remove is the Bose 151 and it's 4 ohms. That's the kind I use up front behind the windsheild. They have changed the 151, now its a half round cabinet and flat on the back. There is plenty of the box 151's on ebay. I got mine there, they were new/sealed, I think some were trying to get the old style out for the new model.
Tim D
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 4:15pm
I once had a stereo designed to power 8 ohm speakers. I installed 4 ohm speakers (I was a kid with few resources) and the stereo was loud but sounded like crud. I inserted a 4 ohm carbon resistor in series in each speaker circuit and the stereo then sounded fantastic.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 4:45pm
I guess the new standard for car speakers is 4 ohms in the old days ten years ago or so everything was 8 ohms and GM actually used 10 ohm speakers. The 151's are decent but I would rather have my klipsch HS-2 speakers or the even polk audio atrium55's before the BOSE. The best that you can get now are Klipsch AW650's the ferqunecy repsponse and sensitivity blow any BOSE outdoor speaker away by a long shot.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 5:33pm
More info than you want to know:
The ohm value assigned to speakers is slightly arbitrary and left to the manufacturer. The ohm value is an impedance rating at an input frequency left to be defined by the individual speaker manufacturer. Impedence, like resistance, is measured in ohms. Impedence, like resistance, limits the flow of current through a circuit. The impedence of a speaker is directly proportional to the input frequency of the signal. At high frequencies the impedence is much higher than it's rated value. At low frequencies the impedence is lower than it's rated value. (This is why in order for a device to supply good sounding bass a lot of power is required at low frequencies.) The impedence curve over the frequency range will vary in shape depending on the speaker design (and quality). While two different makes of speakers may both carry a "4 ohm" rating, the shape of the impedence curve of one speaker may be very narrow with a high peak while the shape of the impedence curve of the other speaker may be very wide and flat yet both speakers may carry the same ohm rating. There really is a difference in the quality and design of speakers.

If you really get into it, you can actually plot the impedence curve of a speaker with an inexpensive audio signal generator, an amplifier, and a good milliamp meter. The objective is to find a speaker with as flat of a curve as possible.

A large portion of the cost of a good sounding speaker can be attributed to research and design. With some makes a large portion of the cost can be attributed to marketing and advertising.

While this is not about boats, I just couldn't help myself. Maybe someone, like myself, will find it interesting. I wish I new as much about boats.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 6:02pm
79Nautique, you may think you know everyting, but it has been 4 0hms for a long time. How old are you? My first amp, a Linear Power is 4 ohms, I bought it in 1982 and it still works. And the Bose 151 has a good waranty for outside exposure, (10 years I think) probably not the world's greatest sounding but not very expensive.
Tim D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 6:13pm
Hey Tim, I appreciate your sentiments but go easy on us old folks. My first amp used El84 vacuum tubes. It could drive speakers rated for 4 to 16 ohms. I used to have to wait for the tubes in my car radio to warm up. I remember when TV got popular and Houston got it's first TV station, KPRC, channel 2. They broadcasted about 4 hours each day except Sunday.

Why do you think I like old boats?

.. and I am not old. Not really.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 6:44pm
Tim, I bought my first amp around 1980 a pioneer GM120 componnet amp and all of the speakers at that time where 8 ohm, the infinitie's I bought last year where also 8 ohm speakers. It's no real big deal with the impedence being 4 or 8 ohm doesn't realy matter much today other than the sound qualty can be effected depending on how it is used and the components it is used with. Bose are good quality speakers and several of my freinds have exactly the same speakers you have, I just have never been a big Bose fan from day one. I was never keen on the idea of having to place them at a specificate distance from two walls to get the best sound out of them, granted you don't have to do that with the 151's like the 901's have to. I bought a pair of polk's to replace some pioneer's I was using with the GM120 amp and have been sold on them since. A couple of buddies have Klipsch home speakers and the only thing that I thought sounded better where a set of Martin Logans that where 10 times the cost. I actually picked up my klipsch on ebay for a little over 100 bucks shipped, new in the box. I usually will pay more attention to the speakers sensitivity rating and continuous power rating than anything else. 400 bucks for a pair of boat speakers is a little steep but then again if you look at what they are charging for the tower speakers 400 is a bargain.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 7:07pm
I bought my first amp in 1959. ...or maybe it was '58.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 7:13pm
Jim you are old, and I'm betting that it was a home amp in 1959, no need to crank up the old AM mono signal back then.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 7:21pm
Now that you mention it I do remember when FM multiplexers hit the market and one could get then stereo from a radio.

...and I am not old, I just woke up to find myself surrounded by kids.

If you're lucky you'll be old some day too.

A lot of my friends were playing mono amps, I went stereo from the getgo - forward thinking I guess.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 7:33pm
I'm starting to feel old myself, maybe it's just that darn 11 year old of mine. I remember the multiplexers and the 8-track as well.
BlueChip View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueChip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 2:49am
Thanks for the info on age, Ohms, and vacuum tubes. But that was really not my question. Where can I put 4 speakers in an '82 Ski Nautique????? How about cutting into the fiberglass part of the hull that is inside the boat that comes down, you know by the stainless interior rail?
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 6:05am
You can either do that, or you can build some boxes to contour the hull and put your speakers there. That way they could be taken out and returned to stock.

When I get my done, I will post pics, should be next couple days.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 10:53am
79Nautique, I'm not a Bose fan either, the 151's are the only Bose I own. My brother-inlaw thinks they are the greatest brand ever. My very first car amp was in 1979, but it was really a power booster, not a true amp.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 12:35pm
Bluechip I wouldn't really cut into the area you are talking about. On the right side or drivers side there isn't anything to get in the way but on the other side the tubes for your speedo run along the rail area. Do you have the shelf/ledge that runs along the the floor and sides that is wood? Not really sure on the correct name of it. Alos the area isn't vary wide and you would have to use small low power speakers as well.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 12:45pm
I really do not know the "2001's" very well, but the speakers in my '93SN are cut into the coming (sp) pads (i.e. cut into the inner dropped portion of fiberglass gunnel. By the time the speakers are mounted through the coming pads, they really do not take up much room within the gunnel area.

I know my friend's '86 "2001" has four speakers, but I cannot remember for sure where they are mounted. I probably will not see his boat until June sometime...maybe I will call him.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 12:54pm
...called my friend. His speakers are mounted as described above.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 2:25pm
I wouldn't touch the fiberglass on my CC. The Lord givith and the Lord taketh away, but wholes last forever. Wear headphones. Get a long cord for the "pullee".
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 3:04pm
Jim:

Haha. I know what you mean. Cutting the first hole is painful and a bit scary. However, now that I have patched dozens of holes, tears, and fractures in my '93, I can tell you that any hole can be patched to be structural sufficient and visually disappear.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 3:21pm
David, I have a 1/2" diameter hole surrounded by 3 small screw holes on the deck just in the front and side of the windsheild where the previous owner mounted a spotlight (if you can imagine). How to I make those holes disappear? (This sounds like a perfect project while I wait on my trans to get rebuilt.)

Maybe this should be a new thread. (BlueChip has already had to read about age, Ohms, and vacuum tubes).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 3:56pm
Bluechip just takes a while to get back to comment.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 4:01pm
Like most of us, he probably works for a living.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 11:48pm
Here is a link to some speaker installation pics in a 2001. It comes from PlanetNautique.
http://planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=96&highlight=2001+speaker
I like the looks of them and am planning someting similar for my boat.
Bob Ed
83 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2005 at 1:38pm
The one old boy with the six or eight speakers on the side is a bit much. But also on all of them there is one common problem. They are not mounted in sealed areas and you get all of the bad sound form the rear, if they enclosed the speaker they would sound a lot better. I like the one guys that added the vertical piece of wood to mount and then covered in matching carpet, now if you could just add some sides to them and tied it to the side of the haul it would sound a lot better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic