NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lake Clinton, IL Reunion

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

. The only positive about Shelbyville is they had a camper/RV rental joint near by. .

Steve,

Thats a plus and one could argue there is better skiing at Shelbyville if you know the lake but everything else makes Clinton a great place for this large a get together.

As for having to lodge away from the lake don't worry about missing too much as you can hang at the campground for a while. This is the type of get together where everyone pitches in and takes care of those that don't have lake houses and have learned to rough it all summer.

Now seriously, to everybody coming out especialy first timers(Quinner, RJ, nautique Hunter, Groovin,etc, just stock your cooler with your burgers or steaks or whatever and show up at the campground after a day in the water. All I charge is one beer per person and I'll cook all night. Heck, last year we had ton's of food and feed a whole bunch of weary(half in the bag) and hungry boaters. Anything in our motorhome except my bed is there for sharing. We also have a 3 room tent from the good old days I can bring along if anyone needs it.

You won't miss much by having to drive back to the hotel because I think we were all dead by 10pm after 12 hours of sun and fun.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The first 2 miles of I-55 is the hardest part!

True dat. What a nightmare. Do not attempt this trip anywhere near rush hour.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 5:58pm
4 hours for me.

Friday AM, most likely. I might not rule out a Thursday run though. I'll need to see how things go. I've been pushing the family pretty hard by squeezing in a extra day here and there.

Wife and kids - yes.
Camping - don't know. Might come down to the weather. The only positive about Shelbyville is they had a camper/RV rental joint near by. I pop-up would be great if it starts to rain.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 5:57pm
The first 2 miles of I-55 is the hardest part!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Joel,

How long of a drive is it from our area?

RJ and Steve,

You guy's planning on a Thursday PM or Friday AM departure? Bringing your kids?? Camping???

Super easy drive. About a 2 hour run down to Bloomington (which I've done a million times going to ISU), then about a 35 minute jaunt over on 74 to Clinton. Piece of cake.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 2:25pm
Joel,

How long of a drive is it from our area?

RJ and Steve,

You guy's planning on a Thursday PM or Friday AM departure? Bringing your kids?? Camping???
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 11:42am
Sorry my friends... Looks like that is a bad weekend for us. Carrie is running a half marathon downtown that Sat. Staying down there for the night in support... Looks like my record will stay in tact. GL-4, Labor day Il Reunion-0

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 1:21am
Just got back home from Clinton, great skiing both mornings until about 11am then it gets pretty busy.

As for lodging there is a brand new Holiday Inn express in Leroy, only been open a short time. Now here's my disclaimer WE DID NOT STOP TO CHECK IT OUT BECAUSE IT'S BRAND NEW. Stay at your own risk. It is exactly 20 miles from the campground on RT74.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 3:51am
So we're pretty set on the dates then? That might be a CCF record.

Rob
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 3:50am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Maybe we can have the grandparents babysit this weekend.

I think that will be the plan for us.....

Rob
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 2:23am
Count the Hunters in Clinton is one of my favorite lakes
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 2:06am
Don't have any kids yet, but I know where you are coming from Joel. Travel is a must if you want a respectable hotel. I honestly don't know what is in Clinton...I think there are some new hotels out by 51, but not positive. That drive wouldn't be too far.

I guess Eagle Creek at Shelbyville had mold in it too. I know you are laughing Joel! I guess the state owns it now...like we can afford that!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2009 at 12:17pm
Unfortunately these central IL trips are tough on those of us who have toddlers or infants because hotels are sparse/crappy/far away. Maybe we can have the grandparents babysit this weekend. If not, we'll have to get a haz mat team into that Days Inn.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2009 at 11:43am
I'm taking a day of vacation on the 11th. Should arrive early afternoon on Friday.
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2009 at 10:56am
October is not much of a option for me/us. Even these dates in September will be hit and miss. Harvest is gearing up and there are a few squirrely farmers who will be running in the fields. I will be on call the whole weekend. So lets stick to raindogs dates and just stick to them. The morning skiing will be spectacular until 11 or so. Brew sippin' the rest of the day.

As for hotels, you will need to go back to either Bloomington or Champaign. It is a 30 mile drive but that is where the hotels are. LeRoy doesn't have anything. Mahomet does have a older hotel, but don't know what the accomodations are like. Clinton does have hotels but I have not idea what they are. Lovely thing about the web!

I know we will be camping. The grounds are nice and the facilities are very good. There is no RV rentals in the area so that isn't a option as far as I know.

We will be leaving for Minnesota tonight, but hopefully this answers some questions. Just give a shout if you want to talk on the phone. 217-202-5946.

Later!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2009 at 10:32am
11-13th is best for us. Can't do 17-18th (nor can Raindog).Rob can't do the 25th.
I say 11-13th and lets roll!

RJ....the Babes stuff really does a nice job! I'm hooked!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

RJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2009 at 3:23am
I could do labor day weekend, that makes sense, but I'm in for either date. I've never been to this lake but the heated water sounds crazy. (I'm thinking radiation or no radiation, who cares its 80 degree water)
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 6:05pm
If anyone has plans on Labor day, this back-to-back weekend vacation might be an issue. I'm thinking of doing something for labor day. Is October completely out of the picture? We have historically had beautiful weather in October (here and there *cough*)
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 5:58pm
It is nearly the only weekend I have free, so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if it works for others. I'll get it on the calendar, in ink, ASAP. Yr right though, a hex is certain.

Skiing all day...you saying I ain't got leg? Didn't you hear of the marathon set I laid down behind Alan's boat last Monday?

Ok, ok...fair enough. But I'm sure Nutty and I will find something to do in 80 degree water as I recover.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 4:38pm
RainDog it is bad luck to start this thread something will come up and you'll miss the whole weekend!

This isn't like a Green Lake, we are skiing all day.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 3:55pm
Dang, 100°! That's hot tub water. Way too hot to be refreshing though. But that's really nice for those later months when other lakes start getting too cold.

Skicat, I often wonder why I haven't moved down to Tennessee yet. Probably has to do with being that far away from the rest of the family, but the wife and I sure love it down that way.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 3:48pm
No Nukes here, but water is still above 80. Come on down to the South!
Greg

86 BFN
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 2:43pm
C-Bass,

The Nuke dump hot water into the lake. During the summer, the section of the lake where the water is dumped will exceed 100 degrees. From the outlet to the dam, the temperature will gradually decrease, but we are still talking water that is usually over 80 degrees.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by scottb scottb wrote:

We spent a day there this past Memorial Day weekend, kind of busy, but the kids loved the fact that they could stay in the water all day long and not get cold.

It will still be fairly busy early september but like you said, the fact that you can stay in the water all day long makes it ideal especially if the weather doesn't co-operate. Last year the water temp was still high 80's+ on the warm side of the lake.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 2:27pm
Sam B. It is Mascoutin Campground Scroll down the link and there's info about camping. very nice showers and like HW said no need to worry about a spot after labor day.

Edit...Looks like we're all posting the same info within minutes
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 2:25pm
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 2:24pm
The campground is called the Mascoutin Recreational Area and is managed by the Il DNR. Here is a link for information. Yes, it does have showers. They used to not accept reservations, but I have heard that has changed.

http://dnr.state.il.us/LANDS/landmgt/PARKS/R3/Clinton.htm
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 2:08pm
I see you guys mentioning the "Heated" lake...I was pretty confused but saw a Nuclear plant on the lake when looking at the map. I assume that is what you're referring to. Do the cooling towers get the water noticably warmer? That's pretty sweet if so.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 1:35pm
After Labor Day you can pretty much drive in and pick your spot, no worries.
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 1:32pm
Does anyone have the camground name and any other info so I can make a res. ? Are there showers.

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic