NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a forgiving wakeboard!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a forgiving wakeboard!
    Posted: August-17-2009 at 10:52pm
51 goes right through Clinton...there is a post in the reunion section...all the info is there!
Most will camp....we have a great time!Try 5 0r 6 boards!

There won't be any beer drinking for anyone under the age of 13 or declared severely mentaly unbalanced! Severely is the key word there!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 10:14pm
Gary....I wouldn't mind doing that. I have wanted to bring the boat to one of the reunions. I just need more time!!

What highway do you take to get to Clinton? Is everybody camping or staying in hotels? I would sure like to try one of your boards. The size would work for me. Really like to see your boat too. It looks great!

But, there won't be any beer drinking, will there??
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 9:07pm
David...your too close not to make a trip to clinton...weekend of the 14th there are several groups from the site meeting there.

I have several setups that you could try out! I am narrowing down to two setups...maybe something I have would work for you...come down and demo several.

my boards are 141-142 size range. bindings are 11.
stang

The Super Air

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2009 at 7:01pm
Gary....We live up in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago (Crystal Lake area), and not too far from the mighty Fox River. However, I have only had it on the Fox once this year. Just enough to ding the prop up when I was the good samaritan this week and pulled a guy in that ran out of gas. I got into some shallow water, which is not hard to do on the river. We usually take the boat up to Lake Geneva, WI, or Lake Delavan, in WI. Pretty rough most of the time. Thank god for the Southwind hull design in those waters.

Tomski.....Thanks for the advice on the various boards. I will check out wakeworld.com. For now, my nephews Hyperlite State is in the boat. My 19 year old son seems to be taking a liking to it. He primarily just jumps the wakes. He is a "one trick pony". At least he has a trick. More than I can say for myself!!!

I am starting to wonder if I have been slalom skiing too long. At 50, wakeboarding doesn't seem to be coming too easily to me. I may just stick to my self-professed title as "Slalom God"   
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 7:28am
Have you had a look on wakeworld.com? They have a review section with just about every board in it. The first bit is the manuf's blurb, but there is a rider review section as well - could be useful to you.

I had a ronix one for a while and faceplanted for Engalnd whenever i rode it! A lot of it is preference, I now have a LF PS3 which I really like, it combines the right amount of bite with being easy to break free. It doesn't catch edges very often.

I always take the centre fins off my boards. I find it forces you edge properly, make surface spins easier and makes dodgy landings easier to ride away from.

As others say, ride every board you can until you find one you like. I don't believe a lot of the things about beginer advanced boards etc. It's about technique - I have an ancient hyperlite el-nino on my boat for big foot noobs and i think it's apalling, a guy I know is very skilled and he got on it and could still do rolls and raleys.

Finally, a hyperlite roam is more or less guaranteed to put a smile on anyones face! Dirt cheap in the states too.
Easily Parted From Money
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 1:56am
David,

We are about 40 minutes from springfield....the lake off of 55 is most likely Rend lake. We spend most of our days on lake Decatur...15 minutes and we are on the water.Do you get down this way ever?

Where do you boat?

stang

The Super Air

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 4:17pm
Gary....Thanks for the board suggestions. I would agree with yours, and others, comments about the bindings. I had my boys and their friends out yesterday doing some wakeboarding.

They liked the Hyperlite State vs. the Ronix One, but, man, they were complaining about the bindings more than the boards. Uncomfortable, too tight, too loose, hard to lace..........etc, etc.

Good bindings have moved up on the list.

By the way, I see you are from Decatur, IL. Where do you boat down there? Is that near Springfield? I have seen the large lake down there just off I-55.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 3:05am
David,

I highly recommend either a LF Watson or a Gator Boards Gonzalez. The two are very much alike...Fast when you edge hard with solid tracking,brake free easy but not too loose,good pop and land soft. I tried a bunch of boards this year and last year...the Gonzo is my favorite(Watson is sweet as well)...ebay prices on the 08 Gonzo are great!
The Ronix One does ride pretty tight unless you change fins.The stock fins are pretty deep.
And I agree on the don't scimp on bindings...newer binding designs are wonderfull....The Shanes are great...any of the Gator closed toe are nice as well.So much easier to get off and on...and comfy too!
stang

The Super Air

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 12:47am
We demo'd the Ronix One today. It was alright, but even though I am a beginner, I couldn't get it to break loose to do a surface 180/switch. I think I am going to pass on it.

We also had my nephews Hyperlite State 140 in the boat, and tried it. It worked great. My 19 year old son was doing wake to wake jumps with it and landing them nicely.

We pulled into a restaurant on the river, and I bumped into a guy that owns the local wakeboard school. We talked for a little while about different wakeboards. He summed it up nicely. He said if he was forced to put just one board on his boat that would work for most people, he would go with the Ronix Vault. The Vault has an asymetrical botton edge design to compensate for heel side, and toe side strengths and weaknesses.   

From what I have found in my research is that the Ronix Vault and Hyperlite State are virtually identical. They both have the asymetrical cut to them. So, so far, the Hyperlite State is on our list, and maybe the Ronix Vault. Still need to try a few more.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 11:10am
I have one of the old hyperlite pointed boards we picked up at a garage sale with sandle style boots. The kids and beginers use it to get a feel for things then move up to the old connelly we have. I just started wakeboarding this summer as its a lot less stress on my aging bones than the F1. I have not been able to clear the wake yet, I think the rest of you may be cheating and not using the whole rope though...
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 9:18am
Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

I can think of a wakeboard I'll never forgive! LOL

A friend of mine has an old board(pointed end); it's nickname is faceplant.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 5:18am
From memory JStar evolved out of Jobe probably a marketing ploy as Jobe was not considered as a pro level board company. They recruited some top line Pro's at the time (Rusty, Lyman and Ike). I think the board shaper from CWB came across to Jobe at the time as well. In Australia back in 2006 the Wake magazine tested all the boards and the Conformity came out on top.
If you look at my diary picture you will see the Conformity in the rack. Everyone is happy to ride the Conformity but most have a preference for their own board.

It is OK for beginners and as you progress you can remove the centre fins to give it a slippery feel. It's best feature is that it holds it edge really well and is a fast board.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 1:05am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Have you guys ever heard of this board. This is what what boardersbestbuy recommended for me. At $119, the price is right. I would like to hear any feedback on this board if anyone has any experience with it.

J-Star Conformity 141

I have never heard of J-Star before. Is it a reputable company?

You may have to cut/paste the link into your browser. I cannot figure out how to get the link added to this post.

http://boardersmall.com/xcart/product.php?productid=21059&cat=928&page=1

We own a 2006 JStar Conformity they are a great board. They are infact the Pro model Lyman from the previous year with the new style bottom coating and Graphics. I am 6'3" and 190lbs. We have a couple of other boards but i still prefer the Conformity over the more current model CWB's and LF boards I have tried.

Mark.....You seem happy with the JStar Conformity. I see a lot of good comments in reviews for it too. What is the background on JStar? Are they part of a larger wakeboard company, or made overseas? I never see them around the Chicago area. Not that thats bad, just curious. All the shops carry Hyperlite, Ronix, or Liquid Force for the most part around here.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Have you guys ever heard of this board. This is what what boardersbestbuy recommended for me. At $119, the price is right. I would like to hear any feedback on this board if anyone has any experience with it.

J-Star Conformity 141

You may have to cut/paste the link into your browser. I cannot figure out how to get the link added to this post.

We own a 2006 JStar Conformity they are a great board. They are infact the Pro model Lyman from the previous year with the new style bottom coating and Graphics. I am 6'3" and 190lbs. We have a couple of other boards but i still prefer the Conformity over the more current model CWB's and LF boards I have tried.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
pwningjr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwningjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Faze/transcend

To clarify, it's the 07 Faze/OLD transcend shape. Not sure if they have changed it since. I would recommend it as a beginner board- small molded in fins but comes with big ol' plastic center fins (we're talking like 2 inches here). Take the center fins out and it is very comfortable for an intermediate rider.
Jay
"Proud to be a geek"
Big Heavy (stephan): One can't always be perfect when water dancing on your shred stick.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 3:14pm
David - Don't scrimp on the binding either. My son got new LF Shane OT bindings for his old board (CWB Faze/transcend)& it was like a whole different board, much more control.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2009 at 2:51pm
I found a good deal on a Ronix One (142)at a local proshop. We are going to demo it tomorrow. Has anybody ever ridden this board? Thoughts? It seems to get good reviews based on some internet searches I have done. I would also like to demo the LF Trip as well before I buy.

Thanks!

Dave
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2009 at 3:14pm
I'm not sure what makes a board company reputable, but JStar has been around since 2004, has pro riders, blah, blah, blah.

The Conformity ran 2005 to 2008, and was discontinued in 2009.
I don't have any personal knowledge or experience with JStar boards.
List price on the board was about $340 in 2008.

I would make sure that you can use different kinds of boots. For some of the new board companies, you can only use their boots on their boards. I'm not sure if this is the case for JStar, but would check it out so I knew the answere before I bought.

You can find the manufacturers writeup on the board at wakeworld. I saw no reviews from riders. You might also post the question on wakeworld as to whether JStar boards have universal boot patterns shut that you can use multiple brands of bindings.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2009 at 3:09pm
David I gotta agree with TRIP on this one. I'm a LF guy too and love the trip.
I'm 42, 5'10" and 180 pds so I think the lentgh is about right for you. I will say that you may regret NOT buying a higher end board from the start. My first board was a beginner and I wished that I bought a higher end board after about a year of riding. The edges were rounded ( Yes! more forgiving) and the board was flat( less rocker). The turns were so slow and the landings were hard.

Buying a higher end board means softer landings (more rocker) and the edges are sharp so when you cut; you cut right away. Matt is right in that your riding will improve with a better board. You get what you pay for when it comes to most things and Wakeboarding is one of them.

Yeah you may take a few hard falls but remember......................

"Your body is comprised mostly of of water, it won't hurt!"

or

" Pain goes away..............Chicks dig scars!"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2009 at 2:33pm

J-Star Conformity 141

HBnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HBnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 11:19pm
call the guys @ wakeside.com they are super knowledgeable and know what works and doesn't.
Livin' the Life
My 84' 2001
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 10:11pm
Thanks for the help and input guys. I rode the Obrien Natural last evening and took a pretty bad fall (do you guys hear those bells ringing, or is it just me????). It caught an edge and threw me pretty good. So, just wondering if I were to buy a board if that would be a good one based on ability level...ie...one that doesn't catch edges too easily!!

My son was riding his cousins Hyperlite State 140 last night when we were out, and he did pretty good on that. He is a beginner too, but, he can jump the wake and land it. I rode it a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed like a decent board, but, I would need a larger board.

Just wanted to take a pulse out there and see if a couple of boards surfaced as really easy ones to ride. Appreciate the input. I will be an occasional rider, and probably mostly behind my old Southwind that throws a decent wake with no ballast needed.

mndanielsncsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 8:06pm
I'm a slightly more advanced rider than you as I've just gotten comfortable jumping across the wakes and don't always land them.

I used to ride the CWB Faction, but purchased the CWB Transcend at the beginning of this year and feel that it's improved my riding a lot. It's lighter, has adjustable fins, and has a nice pop. I'm really happy with it.

If you go to www.boardersbestbuy.com, there is a place on there where you can "Request a Deal". I did that and was able to get last years board for under $200. I ride a 138 and weigh 180lbs, so you'd definitely need the 144.

Just my 2 cents...
1993 Sport Nautique - sold May 2010
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 7:43pm
I can think of a wakeboard I'll never forgive! LOL I'll stick to Barefootin'
This old body don't like to go sideways! Good luck in your search!
Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 1:40am
I'd recommend getting a new Liquid Force Trip. New because of warranty, and they're not expensive anyway. One of the best all around boards, IMO.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 12:14am
I am somewhat a beginning wakeboarder. I can easily get up, cross the wakes, and even do a switch, but, I would like to improve. I would really like to be able to jump the wakes.

Over the past year, I have been riding on a friends Obrien Natural 144. Seems okay, but, I know this is a high end board. Any of you wakeboarders out there have an opinion on this board? Is it good for beginners?

I would like to find a good used board on ebay that is in the 142-144 length range. I weigh about 210, so I need somewhat of a larger board, although my son who weighs 190 will use it too.

Any recommendations out there for a good board to look for that is a couple of years old that might be on ebay or craigslist?

Thanks!

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic