Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stuffing Box help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dvandigo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvandigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuffing Box help
    Posted: July-05-2009 at 11:22pm
I just bought my first Ski Nautique and need some help (be gentle). The drive shaft stuffing box is dripping about 2 drips per second. I tightened the box but it did not change. I called the previous owner and he had not repacked it in 9 years.

Here are my questions: What size packing do I use? How many rings do I need? How tight do I properly adjust the stuffing box. The boat is a 1974 Ski Nautique (17'9").

Thanks
-Doug
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2009 at 11:54pm
Doug,
Your 74 should take the 1/4" however, I'm currently having a problem with my 64. I decided to repack using the Gortex. It hasn't been repacked in about 15 years so I purchased the 1/4" because I know that's what I used the last time. Now, I can't get more than 2 rings in the gland. I even pulled 3 old rings out! The Gortex is pretty pliable so I just reordered some 3/16" and I'll see how that goes!

You what 3 rings, Tighten the gland up just past hand tight. Run the boat keeping a eye on it. If it leaks more than 3 to 4 drips per minute using the Gortex, tighten. If it runs hot or doesn't drip, loosen.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dvandigo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvandigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 12:55am
Thanks for the info.! What do you mean by "hot"? Does the stuffing box get hot?
-Doug
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 9:31am
Doug,
Yes it will get hot if over tightened. I've seen them hot to the point where they are dripping wax from the packing material instead of water! It's due to the friction of the packing on the shaft. It can also gall up the shaft. It's better to have them loose, let the packing take a "seat" and then tighten as needed.

I'll keep you informed on how the Gortex works. It's the first time I've used the stuff.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dvandigo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvandigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 1:20pm
Thanks -
Hopefully I'll have her back in water by the end of the day!
-Doug
dvandigo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvandigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 11:25pm
OK - I made a road trip and bought the 1/4" packing. I cleaned the old packing out (4 rings) and attempted to re-pack the stuffing box. I can't get the 1/4" to go it - it seems way too thick. Do I drop down to 3/16" or is there some trick to packing this stuff?

Thanks
Doug
-Doug
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 1:05am
Doug - Your rig might take 3/16". Best way to confirm this is with 3/16 & 1/4 drills - use them as gages. The one that fits between the shaft & the stuffing box is the right size of packing to use.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 9:58am
Doug,
What type of packing did you get? Is it the Gortex? I still feel a 74 should need the 1/4" but then I ran into the same problem with my 64. 3 rings is good. You may need to put a couple rings in first and then tighten down the packing nut to seat them. Open it up and put the 3rd ring in. I ofcourse tried that too with the 1/4" Gortex without any luck. I may have the 3/16" Gortex in today and will give it a try. However, I won't know if I'll be successful until it's in the water at GL!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 9:26pm
I just got the 3/16 Gortex and used it. I got four rings into the gland. Here's what I suspect has happened. The Gortex has a square cross section whereas the old packing was round. A 1/4" square has more area and fills the void in the gland completely. The 1/4" old round would compress to fill the void. Confirming this, I measured the burnished area on my prop shaft and with the 3 rings of the old round the compressed length was about 5/8". Now with the 4 rings of the 3/16 the compressed length is about the same. I may even have enough room for a 5th rinand still have plenty of thread engagement on the packing nut. I'll see how it "seats" with some usage. Getting it in the water at GL will tell the truth!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dvandigo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvandigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 12:45pm
The 1/4" packing was square - I haven't had a chance to try the 3/16" yet. I measured with two drill bits and could not get the 1/4 in bits in together on opposite sides of the shaft under the nut (I am assuming that is how you do it ???). The 3/16" went under the nut but there was some play. I am hoping to finish up tonight and get her back in the water ASAP so see if it seals!
-Doug
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 1:47pm
Doug,
As mentioned, I've got 4 rings of the 3/16" Gortex in it now. I tightened the gland nut down real tight yesterday to see if it will pre-seat. Then today I'm planning on putting a 5th ring in. I'll see what happens!!

EDIT: The 5th ring went in without a problem. Now the big test will be next week. I'm taking the 1/4" rings with me just in case!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Wheeler Dealer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheeler Dealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 4:27pm
Where would you buy the material to do this and is it the same for the rudder? Should you buy the bearing and replace it also for the rudder?
Is there such a system as a dripless?
Thanks
plumber538 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plumber538 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 5:38pm
I replaced my old packing gland with the PSS Shaft Seal from Skidim.it has worked well since I installed it!
mmartin
saffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2009 at 11:14pm
Hi Guys
waiting for my dripless from Skidim.
I read in an earlier thread to alternate dripless with normal wax packing.Any truth in that?
If you can't be rich, you gotta be clever!Wonder if I'm either right now.
My 88 2001

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2009 at 11:46pm
Saffer - I think you are referring to the Gore-Tex packing. That is what I used & it works very well. Only get about a pop can's worth of water in an afternoon of use, maybe not even that.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic