NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop removal
    Posted: April-06-2005 at 2:58pm
I have a new ACME 470 prop I need to install. I'm curious if I will have to remove the rudder to have enough clearence for the puller. It looks like that if I used a prop puller I might have clearence but if I use a gear puller the center shaft may hit the rudder. I have acces to several styles of gear pullers and I would like to use it verses buying a prop puller for eighty bucks to use once.

And no I did not buy the prop through anyone that I could borrow a puller from to use, so that option is out of the question.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2005 at 4:25pm
You are correct, all of the gear pullers I've tried are too long to clear the rudder. I finally broke down and bought a puller - it DOES clear the rudder just fine. I used a real good three prong puller one time, but I already had my rudder off anyway. One time I took the boat to the local boat shop to use their puller in the parking lot to do the swap - they insisted on doing it themselves, they were not as careful as I would have liked (because I'm so anal), and they charged me 10 bucks! So I went home and ordered my own puller. Nothing beats having the right tool!
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2005 at 6:58pm
Shop around, I got one for $64.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2005 at 7:57pm
They are cheaper on e-bay but then you have to pay for shipping. it's just as easy to go five minutes down the road to Bart's and pick one up.
swamp demon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swamp demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2005 at 8:33pm
I bet you could rent one for 20.00 at higgins or maybe griffth's. macy's or that place where the old presion marine might help.
the only guy I know is dan at griffth's he's always been decent to me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2005 at 3:49pm
swamp demon

you seem to know the area pretty will. I thought higgins only worked on jets ski's and atv's. I have to remove the back pannel anyway to replace the gas vent and look at the rudder and have pretty much decided that I am going to remove the rudder. And I don't have plates for the trailer so I don't like to tow more than just back and forth from the ramp twice a year.
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2005 at 6:57pm
79 Nautique,

I was faced with the same situation you are and it made me cringe to go out and spend that kind of money for a one time use.

I purchased a small three arm gear puller from Advanced Auto Parts for $20 and took the long center screw out. I then went to the local hardware store and purchased a 70mm x 2.5" replacement center screw and ground the tip to a shallow point with my bench grinder.

Result: 30 min. labor and less than $25 in parts created a great prop puller.

Note: Remember to tap on the head of the center puller bolt very lightly while tightening and it should pop right off. Also, leave your prop nut on but loose in order to prevent the whole assembly from hitting the ground when the prop pops off.
Barry, South Carolina
guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 1:17am
new86owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 3:33pm
I bought a puller, used it once. If you want to borrow it, just pay for shipping and I'll let you borrow mine.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 6:10pm
Several mentioned use once, am I the only one who gets their prop redone every couple of years?
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic