Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Left hand or Right Hand?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jgwis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Left hand or Right Hand?
    Posted: April-01-2005 at 2:43am
I have shown this picture to SkiDIM, PCM, and two Correct Craft Dealerships . . . 1/2 the employees tell me it is a left hand crank, and the other 1/2 tell me it is a right hand crank??

Does anyone know for sure? I am having a difficult time finding supporting photos, articles, descriptions, etc. online.

Jim

nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 8:49am
Most standard rotation crankshafts do not have knurling on the rear of the crank, but the only difference the is the knurling. The knurling is there to pull oil away from the rear main seal. I would suggest youfind me the casting number on the crank and we can go from there.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Jim View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 11:51am
Is there a specific location where I can find the crank #, or do I need to pull the crank out completely to find it?

Jim
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 8:21pm
Looking at this picture I beleive this is a left hand crank(counterclockwise rotation when looking at the engine front the front). The grooves need to rotate in the direction that wicks the oil away fromthe rear main seal.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2005 at 11:36am
We shouldn't confuse people, right hand rotation is counterclockwise (pulleys are counterclockwise)and left hand rotation is clockwise (pulleys are clockwise). Right hand and left hand are terms refering to the engine rotation standing behind the engine.
Tim D
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2005 at 11:41am
If you photo is the rear of the crank it is right hand rotation, which will pull oil back toward the oil pan.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2005 at 12:03pm
Tim I don't believe you are correct. If the crank is spinning clockwise as view from the rear then it will pull the oil past the seal and not push it back into the pan.

Jim is this the crank that came out of the engine or is this a differnet one that you are using. If this is for a rev rotation engine it isn't going to work. From your previous post you have stated that you have tried both style of seals and in both cases it has leaked severely. Isn't that enough proof to you that this is the wrong crank when does common sence kick in or do you just like to beat dead horses?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2005 at 1:08pm
I vote Left (STD) rotation
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2005 at 3:01pm
It looks like a LH rotation crank to me, otherwise, the oil would be directed past the rear main seal.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2005 at 9:16pm
Cast one more vote for LH (STD). I've got a RH sitting on the shelf (and I know it's a RH, and it's opposite of this).
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2005 at 10:48am
My mistake, it is left hand rotation which would pull oil toward the rear seal it turned RH.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic