Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steering issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mick View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering issues
    Posted: March-28-2005 at 3:07am
I replaced the steering cable on an 85 nautique, very smooth but the rudder has more movement to the right than to the left, in the water, it won't turn as sharply to the left as it used to, I loosened the bracket and pushed the housing all the way in to maximize the push to the left...still not enough...anyone run into this problem, used cable specifically for the "big T" type of helm control.18 ft...what's up with this????    
workky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2005 at 3:39am
I know the 17ft correct craft cable has a few more inches of throw on it than the 18ft.I replaced mine with the same cable you did,adjused the tube and got mine perfect.I was going to make a spacerbracket to bolt in to the cable end to make it throw out more,but i didnt have to.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2005 at 1:52pm
make sure that the wheel is centered at the helm stop to stop. If it only takes 1.5 turns to the left and say 2 turns to the right then it isn't centered, so double check this then play with where the clamp block is tightend to the cable.
mick View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2005 at 1:38am
I centered the wheel and the rudder, then tightened the clamp block, it still moves lots more to the right than the left....I am thinking of moving the point where the cable attaches to the rudderarm closer to the rudder shaft to increase the rudder movement....anyone do this?????   thanks for the replies...Mick
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 12:48pm
mick,
Did you remove the arm from the rudder? If so try fliping it over and see if it makes a difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic