NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Auto-Marine engine balance question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto-Marine engine balance question.
    Posted: May-24-2009 at 12:43pm
Hello all!
New to the boards, and was suggested to drop by with my question from "wakeworld"
I've cruised around here reading the info and alot of good usefull stuff on here! Thanks!
I have a 351w pleasure craft motor thats REAL tired. A whopping 100psi in cylinder 1,4,6 the worst one is 70psi. hahaha thing probably doesn't make 100hp! So instead of rebuilding the thing I found a used motor out of a mustang, complete carb to pan. So my question is in regards to the balancer and flywheel/flexplate assembley. I know 351w are 28oz in cars but are they the same in boats? Can i just unbolt the flywheel/velvet drive coupler from the existing motor and bolt it on to the new one and let er rip?
Thanks everyone!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 1:25pm
no, you need mass from the Flwheel, on an automotive engine they rely on the torque converters weight for mass, and a thicker flywheel on a standard car with a clutch
"the things you own will start to own you"
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 2:10pm
I'm reffering to the imbalance weights on the flywheel/flexplate and balancer. This year vintage 351w utilize 28oz imbalance on the flywheel/flexplate and balancer. At least they do in the automotive world. My question is do marine applications utlize the same counter weights? I gotta believe that pleasure craft doesn't pull apart a complete motor to rebalance it.
And some manufactures rely on the convertor for the balancing, chryslers do, but ford convertors are neutral balanced and the counter weights are welded to the flexplate.
And some motors are neutral or internally balanced. My 408inch small block is internally balanced, if i could start it without the flexplate it would run without anything just fine.
So can i just remove the complete flywheel and velvet drive coupling assembley from the crank on my marine motor and bolt it to the automotive motor and have the counterweights match? IE do both automotive and marine motors utilize the same balancing weights?
Ryan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 2:55pm
yes because the flywheel is balanced on its own, not as an assembly
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 5:17pm
The main thing you need to know is what rotation motor do you have now? Most older Correct Crafts are right hand all car motors are left. The next problem is more than likely the Mustang motor is a 302.I realize the current state of your engine,but your going backwards. If you need a right hand motor,by the time you mess with the Mustang motor,you could just rebuild the 351
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 6:36pm
I am with Gary. Do a budget rebuild on the motor you have. Trying to convert that Mustang motor will be a nightmare, and as Gary says, the rotation will not be right anyway.

I just did a budget rebuild on mine for around $750, but that did not include boring the cylinders and new pistons. It was grinding crank .010 under, new rings, bearings, gaskets, timing set, and lifters and cam. On the heads, I just lapped the valves. Your cylinders and pistons may still be okay, but have your machinist check them out to be sure, and if they are okay, just hone the cylinder walls.    

However, it may take you some time to do that. If you can get by this summer, do it in the fall/winter.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 6:42pm
BTW, im with these guy's on rebuilding your engine. its easier than what your going to get yourself into
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 8:11pm
I guess I should clarify... The motor that is in the boat is a 351w standard rotation.

The motor that I'm planning on replacing it with is a 351w standard rotation. (Contrary to popular belief, not all mustangs are 302's)

Automotive flex plates are NOT balanced individually; they are offset by 28 ounces. My question is, are boat flywheels also offset by 28 ounces. By the way, I know you guys are boat people, but the only cars that have torque converters are automatics. Manual transmission cars also have "flywheels" just like boats.

Is there anyone on the board that actually knows what they are talking about? Do you honestly think that someone asking a question about internal/external balancing wouldn't know what a "reverse rotation" motor is?

BTW, this is a supra, not a correct craft...
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 9:01pm
Ryan...Try a little humility on your standard rotation Supra engine. That should do the trick.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 9:13pm
I've talked to a bunch of folks seeking info on this or that...many get that large mouth bass look when RR is mentioned.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Ryan351w Ryan351w wrote:

Is there anyone on the board that actually knows what they are talking about?

Ryan - I think you already got the right answer - car engines don't work well in boats, Piston to wall clearance being a major reason.

I think the info you are seeking isn't forthcoming because we use boat engines.

But you are welcome to give it a try & let us know how it works out!

Just take your flywheel/flex plate to a clutch shop (they usually have FW balancers) & they will mix or match to suit.

& yes, you could use some manners.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 12:49am

I guess I should clarify... The motor that is in the boat is a 351w standard rotation.

(Contrary to popular belief, not all mustangs are 302's)

Is there anyone on the board that actually knows what they are talking about? Do you honestly think that someone asking a question about internal/external balancing wouldn't know what a "reverse rotation" motor is?

BTW, this is a supra, not a correct craft...

Try to help a guy out based on info he does not give and what do you get?. I do happen to know Mustangs have more than 1 engine, am I supposed to guess you found a 429 for your Bayliner,I mean your supra. If your going to be a Di*k about it why don't you go over to the supra site and ask there. Or better yet "tuberworld"
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 2:28am
Where is 79 when we need him.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 2:40am
Ok
I'll admit that I might have been short fused, but the answers I was getting had nothing to do with the question. I've been machining and building motors for over 14 years. Cylinder head porting, line honing, boring, milling, balancing etc etc. I've built 3 302s, 3 351s my current 408 stroker and a couple mopars with my buddy. And I understand no one had anyway of knowing that.
I can tell which way a motor spins and if its std or reverse. I have personally never dropped a car motor into a boat but my dad and his buddies have numerous times but they were chevy motors and an Olds 455 in a flat bottom river rat. So I was just trying to confirm the counterweight question with the flywheel specific to the ford, and pleasure craft in particular.

Cylinder wall clearance I understand as being tighter in a marine app. because the internals don't get to the temps that they do in a car. So yeah that makes sense.

I thought I did give the correct information based upon the answer I was looking for, which is/was do auto and marine engines share the same balancing technique and the same 28oz counterweights. And no I didn't specify which size motor I found, but since I was specifically referring to a 351 and not will a 429 or 302 fit where a 351 once was I guess I thought it was clear, I apologize.

Well there we are....

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 11:50am
Ryan - I think you just passed the initiation ritual, so let's start over - Welcome to the site!

We will probably kid you about having a different brand, but we will help none the less.

FYI, a boat engine has MORE piston to wall clearance, not less, because the pistons get very hot from the constant load (& expand) but the block stays cool & doesn't expand as much.   Usually, the engine ends up with scuffed pistons. This is why we are trying to discourage you from using a car engine.

I am not a mechanic so can't answer about a counterweighted flywheel, but have never heard of this before. Certainly a Mustang web site would know, or again you could have it measured on a balancer & then you would know what to do.

The traffic is light on here because of the Holiday, so you may get more info tomorrow when everyone gets back to 'work'!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 12:48pm
I would think with 14 years of doing this, you wouldnt be asking the question, i read your question 18 times, and you know what i get a better answer from my kids when i ask them how school went.....I think the problem here is your question....not the answer...
its free information, so maybe you should start again...
But again with 14 years of doing this, you would figure out it is cheaper to rebuild what you have....Im a fckin smart-ass and it took 2 years to be accepted
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 12:51pm
AHH ok that makes sense on the piston wall.

Ok heres how and why an engine is balanced.
I'm not being rude just dropping some info.
First of all the pistons are weighted and then the heavy ones are lightened to match each other with in about 2%
Then one ring pack is weighed.
Then one set of rod bearings.
Then the rods are weighted, big end and then small end and they are ground to match each other also.
Then the flywheel and balancer are bolted to the crank and the crank is chucked up onto a balancer, big fast lathe that can pick up the harmonics. Then you take the weight of the piston,rod,rings,bearings and add weight to the rod journal with this special clamp. Spin the crank up to about 2000 rpms or so see where its off.
The reason there are weights on the balancer and flywheel is because there isn't enough counterweight on the crank to compensate for the the piston,rod, etc.
The other alternative is to drill a hole in the counter weight of the crank and add mallory metal which is twice as dense as steel. Therefore adding to the rotating weight and essentially offsetting the piston, rod pack.
They reason they don't do that is because mallory is rediculously expensive and its not an easy job. Not something they would do on an assembly line. When they can just grab a balancer and flywheel that has a weight welded to a stragegic location to offset the piston,rod pack.
So thats why you can't just attach a 302 flywheel from say 95 on a 351 from 74 it will vibrate itself apart. Same thig if you were to put a flywheel from a 95 351 on an older 351 because in 94-95 or so they changed the offset of the weights to 50oz and in a different location.
That just scratched the surface but hope it makes clear why I'm asking this specific question.
Ryan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 12:52pm
are you telling us this from reading this or from your 14 years of vast Knowledge?
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 1:01pm
14 years of automotive racing engines, not marine.
As everyone pointed out there are "major" differneces in the the two.
Maybe there is something wrong with the question, but it seems straight forward to me.

I hope after you read my response above you see that the flywheel is not balanced to itself on most applications. And why I'm asking this. When the motor is neutral or internally balanced, IE mallory is used on the counter weights of the crank as stated above then and only then is the flywheel (stick) or flexplate (automatic) balanced to itself and no weight is added or needed to make the WHOLE assembly balance.

So your kids practice the socratic method on you?

Ryan
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 1:02pm
My 14 years of vast knowledge.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 1:04pm
and we still dont know what your question is, post it, short and simple
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 1:06pm
i figure with your vocabulary, your about 28 years old, so that means you started rebuilding engines at 14?
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 1:08pm
Are marine engines balanced with external weights the same as their automotive counterparts.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 1:14pm
The Boat Doctor says...............................................................................................................................................Hope that clears up the confusion....
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 1:14pm

Are marine engines balanced with external weights the same as their automotive counterparts.

I think that depends on the year of the motor.

The guy giving you the polite grief will help if let him. Don't try to teach when you are asking questions!

And try bolting your damper and flywheel to the crank and spin them in a balancing machine.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 1:16pm
Pretty good guess actually, 30 and I was 16. My best friends dad was and is a nostalgia super stock racer with a 63 dodge. 500 inch big block 725 hp that he raced. So when my buddy turned 15 he bought a 73 duster and we learned motors transmissions, rear ends all from his dad. When I turned about 17 I think, I stated working for a friend of his dads working on cylinder heads. Seats and guides, valve jobs, some minor port work. Then I moved to block machining for 3-4 years. Everything from inline 4 bangers to 426 hemis to straight 8 Packards.
I don't and never will claim to be the end all be all to engine knowledge but I'm no slouch either.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 1:19pm
27?
lol,
on a 351 windsor, you can take a flywheel whether its 20 ounces or 50 ounces and, or even a flexplate and swap them, they do not recognize rotation. these parts are balanced for an externally balanced engine
and are balanced on thier own. on an internally balanced engine you must have the harmonic balancer and flywheel attached to the crankshaft and have these three balanced as an assembly. a small block Chevy 400cube is internally balanced. a 351 ford is not.....im not a big ford guy so i dont know lets say if a 390 or 460 is this way
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 1:24pm
stick around, we can teach eachother
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 2:00pm
Eric,
you have two things right in your statement, and that is that they don't care which way they rotate, and second you can interchange a flexplate with flywheel but they have to have the same offset weight.
But put a 28oz on a 50oz motor, or vise versa?let me know how that works out for ya. If that was the case then why do they produce both? Why not just make one, seems more cost effective. It might not seem like a lot but when the weight is 5.5" from crankshaft centerline at 5000 rpms, it will wreak havoc.
Your backwards on your internal and external balancing. Internal you don't have to balance the whole system with balancer and flywheel. But if your right I better go pull my 408 motor apart cause its been tearing itself apart for the last 2 years. Which is internally balanced, I didn't even have a balancer or flexplate when I balanced it.
But when you have weights on the balancer and flywheel then you balance them as an assembly, thats why they call it external, because there are weights outside of the motor.
And I don't have a clue on the 390 or 460 either....I'm a small block guy.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/ccrp_0803_engine_balancing/index.html

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 2:01pm
I have rebuilt a couple engines, and read many articles on engine building. I am NOT an expert, but do have some observations on what I think Ryan is getting at....

Based on all his posts, I think he has been involved in or around building too many full on race engines, and is getting too hung up on trying to precisely balance these boat engines that spin at 3500-4400 rpm max. A couple of my thoughts:

- Some engines are internally balanced, and some are externally balanced. Depends on specific engine. Check to see what yours is.

- On engines that are externally balanced, I am not sure, but, isn't the balancing done at the harmonic balancer on the FRONT of the engine??

- The other kind of balancing that he is referring to is the fine-tune balancing the rotating assembly that racers do so the engines won't fly apart at 8,000 rpm. Not needed on our boat motors...in my opinion, as they operate at much lower rpms.

Commentary.....Does it make a difference anyway on the engine he is considering? The engine exists with some form of balancing on it now (internal or external). No need to fine tune the rotating assembly as it will be a lower rpm application. Shouldn't he just need to bolt the flywheel and damper on and put it in the boat?? Not sure what else I am missing here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic