NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine rebuilt

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine rebuilt
    Posted: April-21-2009 at 4:59pm
as you might read on other post I had a cracked head...my engine is 1920 hours and as I´m also doing the stringer this winter I think it will be good moment to do an engine freshen up.....Gt40 heads are coming but I will need some help from you guys for sourcing parts.
Alternatives:
heads swap, cam, cylinder jackets to keep std piston size, reuse old piston & rods (if they are ok) new rings and rod bearings.
same but go over bore? new piston? which size is recomndable?

I need to do a quote with parts and labor here... to compare to having a complete engine...
What do you think?

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 5:03pm
are these decent?

engine kit
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 8:59pm
It will probably work for you but first you need to tear the thing out and tear it apart. After that your going to want to either bore and/or hone your block, and
turn and/or grind and polish your crank. Rods may be able to be resized if need be. Bottom line is you wont know till you tear it apart and inspect/measure it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 10:45pm
yeap i will have the hole thing tear appart byt the end of the week and take some conclussions....
other idea is to get a half engine those that are remanufacure.. you know a good source for this kind of engine?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 3:07pm
I was able to source some heads out of ebay but most are for 5l engines and for roller lifters... so I need to get a roller set? or can I go with the old cam?
i also want to put a performer intake...any particular thing on this one? the regular one from the major vendors is ok? summit etc?
edl 2181
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 3:23pm
Seb, thats the correct intake. Summit is a good vendor, though you could probably pick one up cheaper on ebay.

Windsor heads interchange- most GT40 or GT40p heads will have come off of a 302 (5.0L) but will bolt up to a 351w without any issue so long as you have the head bolt holes drilled out (1/2" from 7/16"). You can use the heads with either a roller or flat tappet cam.

That being said, I would strongly consider purchasing the heads from a reputable rebuilder like Clearwater or Tristate. As has been discussed here in the past, once you pay to have used heads reconditioned you will likely spend more than a refurbished set thats ready to bolt on. Thats especially true if you need to upgrade the valve springs- which is highly recommended when going with a warmer-than-stock cam.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 3:28pm
tim

any special source for the heads or should i keep looking on e bay... I have my doubts though....

What do you think of the cam I should look on a new one or can I keep the old with the gt40p heads?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

That being said, I would strongly consider purchasing the heads from a reputable rebuilder like Clearwater or Tristate. As has been discussed here in the past, once you pay to have used heads reconditioned you will likely spend more than a refurbished set thats ready to bolt on. Thats especially true if you need to upgrade the valve springs- which is highly recommended when going with a warmer-than-stock cam.

forget the previous post I have it here...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

What do you think of the cam I should look on a new one or can I keep the old with the gt40p heads?

While you have it apart I would highly recommend an upgrade. You can always stay with stock, but a cam matched to your other parts will really bring the package to life. Call Cam Research for specifics.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 3:45pm
of I´ll shoot them an email... they should know what to look if i tell them were i´m standing now?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 3:50pm

of I´ll shoot them an email... they should know what to look if i tell them were i´m standing now?

Don't shoot Cam research an email, you probably won't get an answer. You need to call. 303.762.0022
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Call Cam Research for specifics.

now I know why I have to call them.. no email on their contact
guess I´ll have to work on my spoken language abbility to carry this on... I write better than i speak
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 4:03pm
Just hang out...told me to contact scott on a couple of hours....

Going through ebay I foun some seller like this guys
long block engines

I´d like to know what are they selling you for 1400? smoke? have anybody dealt with thses guy or bought long block ready to go? where?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2009 at 5:27pm
Well some sourcing with Tri state heads and they are offering me a set of ready to bolt on gt40p heads for $598+ shipping... they will do the drilling for the bigger bolts for my engine...
Just hang out the telephone with scott from cam research and he is offering me the cam number CR266 and the lifters for $265. Is that ok?
I forgot to ask him cam specs though....
For the engine rebuilt kit I was thinking on paw or summit?
Sebastian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2009 at 6:01pm

Well some sourcing with Tri state heads and they are offering me a set of ready to bolt on gt40p heads for $598+ shipping... they will do the drilling for the bigger bolts for my engine...
Just hang out the telephone with scott from cam research and he is offering me the cam number CR266 and the lifters for $265. Is that ok?

Sebastian

$265 with lifters and that probably includes breaking it in, get the specs for us but the price is right.

$598 is the going rate for Tristate heads, I bought mine there and I think Gary S just did recently as well.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2009 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

$265 with lifters and that probably includes breaking it in, get the specs for us but the price is right.

81 sorry my first time i´m so involved on a rebuilt but what do you mean about it including the breaking in?

sebastian
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2009 at 6:31pm
lift 490 intake exhaust duration at050 int 218 exh 222? these make sense?
I think I got it rigth... this scott is not much of a talker kind of guy and my hearing is also bad!!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2009 at 7:00pm

lift 490 intake exhaust duration at050 int 218 exh 222? these make sense?
I think I got it rigth... this scott is not much of a talker kind of guy and my hearing is also bad!!!

Sounds like the same cam Ive got in my boat.

Regarding break in, read their website: Cam Research cam break in service
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2009 at 7:21pm
got it...they kind of soften them with that machine ha...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2009 at 7:28pm
we are talking of hidraulic flat tappet lifters on this engines right? I´m kind of confussed on this thing and don´t want to order the wrong stuff.
If I get this cam kit and the heads should which will be worked for hydraulics flat tapet (they are for rollers) I have to mind on the valve train? Can I use the old rocker arms with all this news stuff?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2009 at 8:54pm

we are talking of hidraulic flat tappet lifters on this engines right? I´m kind of confussed on this thing and don´t want to order the wrong stuff.
If I get this cam kit and the heads should which will be worked for hydraulics flat tapet (they are for rollers) I have to mind on the valve train? Can I use the old rocker arms with all this news stuff?

Haha, first off yes Scott is a man of few words. I was gonna mention that but you picked up on it right away.

Yes you need a flat tappet hydraulic lifter cam, verify that is what Scott is suggesting but I am certain he knows what you've got in that year ski boat.

Your old rockers will work fine, rollers would be a step up but not necessary. I'm betting your stock pushrods will be fine but must still be checked for length.

I would recommend having them break the cam in, it's a $60 fee but I think it's money well spent and is worth the peace of mind. I still followed standard breakin procedures when starting my motor for the first time anyway. I ripped my motor down for some mods and after 2 summers of pretty hard use I could not detect any signs of wear on the cam or lifters.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2009 at 2:04pm
If i go this path I will ask about the breaking service...
Regarding pushrods that was going to be my next question so what lenght should I look for. I will measuse them and let you Know...
Now that I have the valve cover out I wanted to repaint them as some of the paint went off due to water coming out of the riser due to a bad gasket. They are powder coated? Anyone did them?
Sebastian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2009 at 2:47pm

Regarding pushrods that was going to be my next question so what lenght should I look for. I will measuse them and let you Know...
Sebastian

Push rods are the last thing you do and you won't know what length you need until the motor is assembled and you can measure then. We'll walk you through that when the time comes. Don't worry about that right now and I still would bet you will reuse the ones coming out.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2009 at 3:04pm
Alan one issue Kapla has now is shipping, It's better for us well down abroad to try order everything together to reduce shipping costs.
Kapla's engine is over 1900hours, I'd say he can use the old pushrods too, but now that he's tearing it all apart why dont put all new stuff???
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2009 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Alan one issue Kapla has now is shipping, It's better for us well down abroad to try order everything together to reduce shipping costs.
Kapla's engine is over 1900hours, I'd say he can use the old pushrods too, but now that he's tearing it all apart why dont put all new stuff???

Because the originals should be fine, even with that many hours on them. Why order a new set when you dont know what length you need?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2009 at 5:00pm
I have an estimate that this upgrade and freshen up is goign to be around the 2.5k-3k (parts machining and labor) range now my question is will I notice this 40hp gain? they better be worth every penny.
Along with the floor estimate of 2k more I be getting a new boat at least!!!
I only need to finish tearing the engine to decide what can I re-use and what´s going to be new, to order the engine kit...

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2009 at 1:45am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

$598 is the going rate for Tristate heads, I bought mine there and I think Gary S just did recently as well.

Yes Guys thats what I just payed about 3 weeks ago and $25 per to ship.For us here in the states it took 3 days to get here after ordering and they are new not rebuilt.Steel freeze plugs tho,you can just run them that way until the warrantee runs out then change them.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2009 at 12:01pm
I did find out there are 2 different timing sets, i pulled the one with the plastic gear and the offset ecentric and 2 piece fuel pump cam, the one scott sent me had a on center ecentric for a one piece fuel pump cam.
If you buy your timing set from him, make sure you let him know which one you have, he is a man of few words, but i did get him to crack a laugh, I hate calling somewhere and you think you are bothering them
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2009 at 12:02pm
1973 to 1988 one set and then 1988 on another set, I think they made the switch in the middle of the year
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2009 at 12:28pm
So I should state Is for a post 88 engine? he should now his stuff rigth?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic