Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Steering Wheel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Steering Wheel
    Posted: March-05-2005 at 1:57am
Can anybody tell me where I can find a conservative, good looking steering wheel?   Mine is literally falling apart. Nothing I've found looks vintage. Thanks for any help.    Tate
Tate
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2005 at 12:02pm
I looked a couple of months ago and could find nothing. One of the problems is that many of our Nautiques have splined steering wheel shafts and most of the aftermarket wheels are tapered shafts. With that said, the older boats probably have tapered shafts and you will be okay. Since you did not mention the year and model of your boat, I cannot be specific. If you have a tapered steering shaft, look at www.overtons.com or BoatUS.

I ended up buying a stock steering wheel from CC. I believe it cost about $180.00
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2005 at 12:49pm
Thanks David. It's an '80 Martinique. I'm going to check whether it's tapered or splined.
Tate
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2005 at 1:12pm
that's true daved,but splined or tapered you can change the stearing hub.
you guy's need to check this out.
WWW.IMPYS HOTROD BILLET STEERING WHEELS.
they aint cheap,but really cool stuff.

just punch in impys in your search.
i like the 14.5" cruiser model. $239.00
kenny g
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 1:47pm
Kenny:

I am not sure what you mean by changing the steering hub. Most (if not all) steering wheels have the hub as part of the steering wheel. CC's steering wheel does unbolt from the hub, but you get both parts as a unit when buying a new wheel. The splined or tapered shaft is part of the steering gear and unless you change the entire steering gear, you have to match the steering wheel to what you have.

I believe an '80 Martinique will have a conventional steering gear with a taper shaft. Consequently, steering wheels to fit will be plentiful.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 3:59pm
dave,look at the teleflex steering controls i put in the reference section 2nd page you'll see a breakdown,you see how the steering wheel is removed,tapered shaft,washer,self locking nut.
on the replacement/newer wheels.you will have a hub which is held in place the same way,one nut.then the steering wheel and center cap are secured to the hub with 3 screws.
in that diagram the hub and wheel are one piece.the replacements or newer wheels & hubs are 2 pieces.
so yes the hubs can be purchased for a tapered or splined shaft.
i can replace the steering wheel on 2 of my boats in 3 minutes only using a screwdriver.
kenny g
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 5:22pm
Kenny:

I understand what you are saying, but if you have a splined shaft steering gear, You MUST put a splined steering wheel/hub on it. MOST steering wheels on the market are on piece wheel/hub made for a taper shaft. Teleflex makes the steering gear either way. CC happened to use the splined shaft predominantly and their steering wheels are indeed a two piece design. Now, go buy a new steering wheel from CC and you get both the hub and wheel ready to go.

My point is that the original poster asked where to get a good looking steering wheel. I did not know the model or year of his boat. Turns out he has an '80 Martinique, so more than likely, he has a conventional tapered shaft steering gear for which steering wheels are readily available. Newer CC predominately used the splined shaft (although Teleflex makes the same unit with a tapered shaft) for which steering wheels/hubs are hard to find.

And yes, I am sure you can get either tapered or splined shaft wheels/hubs from CC, but the poster was asking about aftermarket wheels (I assumed) which are almost non-existant in splined shaft. So, I think you and I understand the situation, I was trying to be clear on the options...which I guess I was not very clear afterall. Oh well, beat this horse enough.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 6:12pm
yep ! we did.both of my 68's are tapered shafts and have aftermarket wheels & hubs 2piece's. the 70 mustang is my only boat with an original wheel,1 piece but i'm not sure about that shaft.
also you can check into attwood on the web.they made alot of those old wheels,hardware ect,for many different models.
kenny g
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2005 at 11:56am
Tate,
Here is a webisite that has a huge selection of marine steering wheels .
www.uflexusa.com
Good luck !!!
Mike
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2005 at 1:34pm
I replaced mine with a teleflex wheel and had no problem what so every. I think I used a cheap 25 dollar whell from overton's or maybe west marine they both carry it and it's and easy job. I think if you get something other than a teleflex you could have problem.

Kenny some poeple have trouble modify parts if it doesn't come out of a box looking, feeling, or attaching the exact same way. But not everyone
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2005 at 12:24am
Try Kendor Marine (SP?) in Franklin Wisconsin (just south of Milwaukee). They have a very unique collection of OEM parts and may have exactly what you need. I believe they purchase wip inventory at the end of a build cycle and sell it to guys like us fixing up old stuff!

Good luck.
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic