Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newby looking for information

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newby looking for information
    Posted: March-01-2005 at 1:30pm
Hello,
I recently joined this site because I want to learn as much as I can about my 66 Wildcat. I've tried to post it to the diary section without luck. I've also tried to contact Keith and another Wildcat owner on this site without luck. I know next to nothing about these boats other than I never plan to get rid of it (it's a blast). Anyone know of any good reference material that will speed up my learning curve? The only boats I've owned in the past were I/O's and jets so even the drive system in this one is strange to me. Thanks. Frank E.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2005 at 3:26pm
Frank,

Welcome aboard. Did you just get your Wildcat or have you had it a while? Posting to diaries shouldnt be a problem, I joined about a year ago and posted to diaries and recall it being pretty straight forward. Try again. Keith is generally pretty responsive, so maybe he's out of town or something.

Can't tell you much about your 66 Wildcat. I grew up with a 65 Mustang, smaller but pretty much same engineering. That boat is long gone. I have had another (Brand X) ski boat for a number of years but last year bought a 75 Ski Tique, which I really enjoy. Look closely at the reference section, you can learn some there. Post specific questions in this forum and you will get answers. There are a lot of very knowledgable people. Other good sources are New England Correct Craft (in NH) and White Lake Marine (in NC). They've been at it for years. Just Google those names and you will find them.

There is no better power train than a direct drive inboard. Wake boarders are gravitating to v-drives for a bigger wake (after the ski boat industry spent billions of dollars and years perfecting no wakes, the industry is now emphasizing big boarding wakes...amusing)But the purists still appreciate the absence of wakes in a good ski boat.

Again, welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your CC experience.
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2005 at 1:45am
I haven't had it long. The post I sent to the diary section explains that I bought it on ebay last year. It was a weird deal. I was looking for cables for my old tri-hull and I stumbled arcross this Wildcat. It wasn't a smooth deal beacuse the seller accidently listed it twice. I liked the boat the minute I saw it. Something about the overall lines just looked right. Now, having driven it I'm hooked. I'm kind of an older car nut so not knowing things about the boat really makes me feel dumb.

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2005 at 2:01am
Welcome aboard, Frank! I'm proud to say I'm an owner of a '66' Wildcat. Have had mine for about 3 years now, and have loved every minute! There aren't very many around, from what i've found, and Ralph liked to put some wild powerplants in them. I put some sell sheets in the reference section, under the 66 brochure. I saw the boat on ebay, nice color, same as mine! Hope you enjoy the site, and good luck.
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 2:06pm
Hello Wallace,
You were the gentleman I tried to contact when I signed up here. The email bounced back as undeliverable.
The boat looks just like yours (maybe not as nice). I wanted to contact you because you are obviously familiar with Wildcats. I also wanted to make sure I hadn't broken any rules using the name 66Wildcat. I saw the link to your boat after I signed up, might be confusing to folks. If I ever hear from Keith maybe I'll change to 66Nailhead. I would love to find any of those old manuals. My computer prints the one you posted kind of funny.

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 9:15pm
Frank;
     Send me an e-mail with your address, and I'll send you copies from the original.
           bigredskidog@fuse.net
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 2:14pm
Frank,

I know what you are saying about liking the lines of the old ski boats. I always liked the older lines, very square, no fluff, very functional. I also like the way they sit low and level in the water. I never liked how other boat styles look like a plane ready to take off with the stern sitting low and the bow about 5 feet up in the air...and that's while its sitting still in the water. Over the years the ski boat designers started fiddling with the design, more swirls and curves and even some of that bow in the air look. Don't care for that as much. Many have gotten that "Clorox Bottle" look like a family I/O runabout. I'll take the classic lines any day.
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2005 at 12:43am
Wallace, I tried to send my email. If you don't see it soon it bounced again.

75 Tique, I agree with you. Old boats (like old cars) had style that gave them character. That seems to be missing from new boats and new cars. Don't get me wrong, if you wanted to give me a new Nautique I'd be all over it, but the 66 stays too. Hammer Marine is the closest Ski Nautique dealer to me. Has a showroom packed with new swoopy, powerful, padded, awesome boats. Tucked in the middle is the owners 67 Barracuda. Very neat boat. The salesperson said it gets more oohs and aahs than the new boats from almost everybody.

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2005 at 12:46am
Wallace, bounced already. I'm
fesser@napanet.net

Frank

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic