NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sunny-side-up!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunny-side-up!
    Posted: November-23-2008 at 2:12am
A few of you might know that along with my older Correct Crafts, I've also been restoring a 1962 wooden Higgins. Thanks to some friends that are also restoring a Higgins (in which slow progress was being made), a friendly challenge was made to get them done by mid-summer next year.

I had stripped and re-finished the hull over the last few years, but the project has pretty much been untouched for over a year, all the time setting upside-down on sawhorses.

Well, this afternoon a few friends came over and helped me get the old girl turned over and setting on a dolly. What a great feeling!!!

A BIG thanks to Alan-the Magicman for making the trip over to help!!   We didnt get many pics, but will try to get some posted in the next day or two.
Thanks again for the help Alan!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2008 at 3:55am
Good to hear that, Steve. Post some pics.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2008 at 4:07pm
Steve, Since Alan made the trip to help you flipping the Higgins, we now know where we can get some help when the time comes to flip the Hurricane!!!

What method did you use? I've always had good success with old tires covered with some movers blankets and then of course plenty of friends. The ultimate is having two gantries, 4 hoists and straps. Then there's the one Gary (Farmer) used that he got from Don Danenberg.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2008 at 4:38pm
The neighbor has a fork lift with 360 degree rotating forks, we strapped the chris to that and rotated it, that was to easy. to bad they are moving out before i'm ready to flip it back...
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2008 at 9:15pm
Pete,
Im ready to help with the Huricane when you guys are!

We used two cherry pickers with straps to lift the baoat off the sawhorses. We then lowered it down, resting the hull on three mattresses on one side and a couple of milk crates on the other.

We kept offsetting our lift point of the slings toward the crate side, bringing that side up while the other was on the mattresses.

Once it was setting verticle , we could slide the hull thru the slings til she was upright....worked like a charm!

I will try to post a few pics later, but we just found out one of the digital cameras wasnt working.. So,I dont think we got any of the hull in the verticle position.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2008 at 9:48pm
BUMMER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I have never seen a Flippin/Tippin Party nor the pics to go with it. Now that this one is over I may never get another chance
I have been to two goat ropin's and a county fair but never a Flippin' Tippin' party.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2008 at 11:40pm
Well... here are the three pics that we got before battery went dead. Pam got my older digital camera to finish with and didnt have the dial set correctly....bummer is she had just re-charged the battery in her camera..

Hopefully,you can get the idea how we did it?

straps set..

Alan setting the picker...

the last pic...Dave Moritz (from Muscatine Boat Show)and I ready to lift...

bummer mannnnnnn... good thing... at least,it is right side up..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 12:11am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

We then lowered it down, resting the hull on three mattresses on one side and a couple of milk crates on the other.

And you Brunstucky boys thought you had all the smarts! I'll bet no one was even sleeping in them either.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 12:13am
All kidding aside Steve looking good
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 12:45am
Gary, The real trick was getting the mattresses back in the house before Pam missed them!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 10:59am
Nice garage. You need some more lighting
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Nice garage. You need some more lighting

Thanks Chris,
The extra lights are in the portion of the shop that I do finishing work. It really helps us old people out.

btw, you get any snow last night? we had a dusting this morning ... guess winters on its way.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 1:27pm
About 2" up here, Steve.

Are you going to use the same technique for a rotisserie for the Chevelle? haha
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 10:17am
Steve,
I forgot to mention that it looks like you got a real nice even and not grain hiding wiping down of the filler/stain. Tell Pam she did a great job!

Is that the pettit "brown mahogany"?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 3:46am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
I forgot to mention that it looks like you got a real nice even and not grain hiding wiping down of the filler/stain. Tell Pam she did a great job!

Is that the pettit "brown mahogany"?

Pams not afraid to pitch in and get dirty.. thats why Ive kept her around for more than 33 years!

Heres a pic from a couple years ago with the bottom stripped, before deciding to do the whole hull...After taking the cutwater off and seeing the original stain color, what was on the hull looked too orange.

Heres a pic of "stain-day" a couple years ago...

The stain is the Petit Red Mahogany, I also have the Brown, but I think its actually the redder of the two in my test staining.

BTW, Pete, I can hardly wait to get the last three coats of varnish on!! In the "tippin" pics there are 9 coats of Flagship that had been block sanded.. thats why the matte looking finish. It looks awesome when you wipe a wet cloth over it!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 9:35pm
I think you should win a prize for best named boats Steve
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 11:48pm
Steve Glad to see you had enough help .
i cant be of much help from down here in Florida where the temps got into the 80s today down at the beach .
went for an air boat ride today in the glades . It was a good time . Seen a lot of gators.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic