Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

54 ford 8n tractor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 54 ford 8n tractor
    Posted: October-18-2008 at 9:20pm
Does anyone know about these? I went to a friends to get his running and ???? Someone switched it from a 6volt to a 12 volt system.I am getting power to the pos side of the coil and the neg side also has power with nothing hooked up to it.The distributer has a connector for 1 wire. The 6 volt diagram shows the distributer going to the pos side of the coil as well?? There is nothing coming from the coil.What is supposed to send the power through the coil??Is it the points that make this happen? My friend did say that he got a coil from napa(6 volt) and he installed it,not knowing that the system was now 12.volts.Has not fired since?? any suggestions?
kevinindy
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2008 at 11:21pm
Kevin,
I'd have to say there's something wrong with the wiring diagram you're looking at. The neg. side of the coil goes to the points. The points when closed is the ground so power will be feed through the coil. This causes the coil to reach a saturation point. When the points open, that's when you get the high tension (spark) power out to the distributors rotor. Why the 12 volt? If nothing has been done to the generator, the battery will not be charged to the 12 volt level.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 12:11am
The gen was changed for a delco alt.I found a site and the 6 volt system was a positive ground.There is no ignition resistor right now and my new diagram (12 volt neg. ground) shows one. I think that this conversion was only part of the way done.First time I have seen or heard of a pos. ground system.Oh yeah it is a 54 not a 52,but it is pretty darn cool!
kevinindy
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 12:48am
Kevin,
We changed my mid-50's IH Super C over to 12volt/ neg ground system almost 20 years ago. (it also had 6V pos. ground)..Ive never been sorry.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 12:55am
Yeah mt buddy doesnt really have a choice or really cares.He just wants it to bushog. I wish I had a bigger yard I would buy one myself! I think that someone just halfway changed it over.I know how to wire a 12 neg ground system but I do not know much about points! The 8n site says the 6 volt starter will be fine and he has the recommended alt. But will the points do the same when reversed?
kevinindy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 10:13am
Kevin,
Glad you found a new wiring diagram. That will help! The points will do the same whether it's a pos. or neg. ground. They are really a switch turning power on and off to the coil. But, since he has installed the alternator and it is a neg. ground, you now must complete the conversion as a neg. ground. I'd say the resistor must be used with the new coil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 10:58pm
Can't you just spin it with the hand crank Pete..like you used to start your car?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 11:21pm
We have a '48 that has been in the family since new. It's still on 6v so I'm no help. At least you have a side distributor model,makes it much easier to work on
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 11:57pm
They are definately pretty cool! I found one on craigs list for 1500?? My wife would kill me!! The guy here in Indy that is doing my boats upholestry has one that is restored.He uses it to move around the boats at his shop.Do you have any pics of the 48? You probably already know that they have several sites like ccfan for these tractors.Kevin
kevinindy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 7:37am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Can't you just spin it with the hand crank Pete..like you used to start your car?

john

Yes you could but you still need the spark for the engine to run. John, are you serious? We know you are mechanically challenged but I didn't realize the condition was that bad??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 9:10am
Pete, I think he's just having a senior moment as I have seen his hand drawn wiring diagrams of Chucks Ign. system only this last summer

Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Brady Brady wrote:

Pete, I think he's just having a senior moment as I have seen his hand drawn wiring diagrams of Chucks Ign. system only this last summer

I didn't think John drew the picture of the switch backside with the wire colors ID'd to the terminals. He was just holding the paper looking at it with one of those "deer in the headlights looks"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 10:27am
My dad has a 8n and 9n sitting in his barn in Metro Detroit that I am sure he would sell on the cheap to anyone that is interested. He has a ton of impliments for them as well.
Might even make a hell of a deal for someone to haul both away!
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 10:31am
If that's the same or similar model Ford tractor we used to use to plow our trucking company back in the '70's it's a British build and designed tractor and they were positive "earth" as the Brits say. I've had a few early British sports cars that were the same. You have to be careful jump starting them!
1989 SN 2001
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 1:44am
Originally posted by kevin719 kevin719 wrote:

They are definately pretty cool! I found one on craigs list for 1500?? My wife would kill me!! The guy here in Indy that is doing my boats upholestry has one that is restored.He uses it to move around the boats at his shop.Do you have any pics of the 48? You probably already know that they have several sites like ccfan for these tractors.Kevin

I don't have any pic's at this time Kevin but can get some.Before I had my Jeep I used it to haul and launch my Mustang. The brakes are the real problem with these. Wasn't until we got on line that we got help to finally get them repaired.The newer ones like the one your working on had better seals etc.Ours was always inside and never used for plowing,mostly grass mowing and snow plowing.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 1:55am
Originally posted by OM45GE OM45GE wrote:

If that's the same or similar model Ford tractor we used to use to plow our trucking company back in the '70's it's a British build and designed tractor and they were positive "earth" as the Brits say. I've had a few early British sports cars that were the same. You have to be careful jump starting them!

Actually I think they were Ford designed but used the british Ferguson hydraulic system starting with the 9n in 1939.The 2n came out in 1942 and by the time 8n came out in 1948,Ford and Ferguson had parted ways and not on the best of terms.After Edsel and Henry passed on,Henry II did not want to give any royalties to Ferguson.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 2:13am
I thought the spinning made the spark Pete....and I did so make that detailed drawing..but we decided that I drew it upside down.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 7:37am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I thought the spinning made the spark Pete....and I did so make that detailed drawing..but we decided that I drew it upside down.

john

OK John, I'll take my deer/headlight comment back - now I know you were trying to see if the diagram was upside down or right side up. So Chuck got you to crawl under the dash and draw the connections!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 5:37pm
Lots of neat little tractors like that. Two things to look for as a starting point- hydralics and three point hitch.
A bucket is always nice....
My little cub has a rear mounted bucket as the front axle wasn't strong enough!!
70 Mustang project
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

Lots of neat little tractors like that. Two things to look for as a starting point- hydralics and three point hitch.
A bucket is always nice....
My little cub has a rear mounted bucket as the front axle wasn't strong enough!!

Doug, you have a Farmall Cub? We also have a 49 Cub for plowing snow and a 58 Lo Boy for grass cutting, neat little tractors like you say.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 7:39am
Kevin,
Don't leave us hanging! Did you get it running?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 9:49am
Have not been back over to his house yet.Probably go this weekend.Not very motivated when working for free
kevinindy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic