Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1960’s Classic Wood Skis

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1960’s Classic Wood Skis
    Posted: July-17-2008 at 6:45pm
My dad skied in tournaments on these in the 60's. Alfredo Mendoza El Specials. Notice the aluminum brace across the top on one. Minor repair, keep on rockin'. And the branded logo. My dad actually added the white tub strips for better traction. Think these bindings feel very good cutting into your ankles.

Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
Old Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2008 at 10:27pm
Ah, Cypress Gardens skis bring back some memories, my first slalom ski was a Cypress Gardens Lil' Monster. My first hi performance ski was a Cypress Gardens Tech 1 with a aluminum top.
99/90/80 Ski Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 12:40pm
I still have our old CG skis of vintage between those two, with two Jobe 'High wrap' plates mounted..

Used to get lots of jokes like "why don't you get some skis for those bindings!"
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 11:25pm
Love them! Mount them to your living room wall. A great conversation piece and your wife will love the way they look!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 2:06pm
I still have my little monster and my d*ck pope jr III's. The boys are learning on them. My oldest just graduated to the monster last weekend.

I used the old super groove skis in my new railing. I'll link up the pics when I get a chance. I did not want to give them up but this way they are close by.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 2:13pm

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 12:41am
Very nice Sean. Nice car too.

Where is Holiday City? I am from the Cleveland area before we went south for the weather.

Just bought a Mendoza in mint condition with the original white bindings (thanks cat for the toe strap) off e-bay for about 40 bucks. Love them old Mendozas.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 10:28am
West of Toledo, exit 13 on the toll road. I grew up on Merry Lake in southern Michigan 3 miles north of the Ohio line. My wife grew up on Lake Gauge near Orland Indiana. We just picked up a Cottage on Crooked Lake last fall so we are back on the water after a 10 year stint in the corn Field. Luckily we kept both boats stored in the shed, My 75 Mustang and her 68 283SS Wood Chris that I'm restoring right now.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:50am
More pics of those two rides..if you please. We love pictures on here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 10:30am
I have had both boats longer than the digital camera, ill see what I can find. The chris is down to the stringers right now getting a new bottom.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 1:33am
Well any wife that owns a 283SS Chris has got to be hot so....if ya ain't got pics of the boat we'll settle for pics of the Chris Craft owner.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 10:46am

Found a pic of the Mustang and the latest 2 ski chairs we built this week for the Cottage. Im still looking for the Chris and wife pics...
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 1:24am
We'll be waiting....

Till then..nice looking boat.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 6:07pm
Man I can't stand when people cut up those old skis. They make great drop and beginner skis!

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 10:07pm
At about $3.50 a ski they are cheaper than lumber... I did save the best of them for the kids. I made a great starter salalom ski out of an early long wide wood trick ski. My oldest used it to learn to get up on one, its twin is in the railing as it was very unique...
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Well any wife that owns a 283SS Chris has got to be hot so....if ya ain't got pics of the boat we'll settle for pics of the Chris Craft owner.

john

Good news John, I found a of picture of my lovely Blonde wife in her favorite little bikini posing with her Chris, as I guessed it was before my digital camera though, I'll see if I can scan it tomorrow at work and post it up...

Sean
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 1:27am
I, among others on here, can hardly wait!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 5:10am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I, among others on here, can hardly wait!

john

Dito! Show us the Chris
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 10:42am

Like I said, it was taken before I got my digital camera, by about 30 years...
Toyproblem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toyproblem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 12:25pm
how much for a chair?
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 1:38pm
Sorry i just built a couple for myself. I found a guy online that sells them for $1000 each and another place that makes a less desirable one for about $350. I decided to make mine... It takes 5 skis to make one chair and 4 to make a table.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 1:55pm
Sean, Why didn't you make the seat bottoms with skis too? Run out?

This was my second chair, I can't find a picture of the first one but the same construction with different skis of coarse!

I was then asked to make one for our ski team/club as a fund raiser this summer. Used all the old skis that the club had and found that only the front ends could be used. The tail ends were all rotted from the years of them standing upright in water/moist ground! The raffle went all summer collecting about 2K and ended at the clubs 50th anniversary this August. Big sales on the raffle tickets there - many of the alumni had actually skied on the skis I used! The winner ended up giving it to the clubs president who is Ryan Lamon (watercraftsales) as a wedding gift. It ended up in good hands!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 2:15pm
Pete: 50th for you guys too? Me and Patti head to Ohio this weekend for the 50th of the West Shore Water Ski Club. I see that we are in good company!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 2:24pm
John, Yes hard to believe 50 years of the club going! It's been over 40 years for me! I know we talked about the 50th at GL but not exactly when the reunions were. Just like any reunion, wait until you see some of the old group that you haven't seen in all the years. Some will look like they have been pumped up with tire pumps and look like the Michelon Man!!! I'm glad we've maintained ourselves!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 10:36am
I was having trouble fitting tails to the seat area and did not want to rip them down on the table saw. The taper was hard to fit with all the different brands.

I used up between 25 and 30 skis doing the 2 railings in the cottage, 3 chairs and one table. The good news with the table and chairs, I can replace the 5/4 board seat and top as I find more interesting skis. Same with the railing, as I find more interesting names I will swap them out and they become furnature...
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2008 at 12:59am
Pete: I can't wait to see some of the guys that were in when I joined in '68-'69 while still in high school. Hope they think I took care of myself!

Have a great time at yours!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2008 at 10:21am
I was born in 68...
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2008 at 2:06pm
I have a set of Apco Sea Gliders that you can still read the $19.99 on them. Square back, double wooden runners, Gum rubber bindings with dual knurled knobs for adjustment.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2008 at 11:14am
I went out last night with some friends from work for a quickie. All I had at home was my old 'Lil Monster. Surprisingly ,I was ables to get up on it behind the Bayliner party barge they have. I remember now why I enjoyed the newer Short Line I bought after that ski so much ! Great for an easy pull around the lake but the squirly little cypress boots and slippery feel of the Monster is so much different than the brutal tracking of my new F1X. I guess I dont feel near as bad using most of these up in my Chairs and railings...
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 2:14am
Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

I was born in 68...

Well thanks...didn't need to know that.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic