NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stength of pylon

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stength of pylon
    Posted: December-29-2004 at 3:05pm
I've seen some talk on this forum of pulling multiple skiers, towing broken down boats, etc. Just out of curiosity, how much weight/pull can the tow pylon bear? I have a 19-6 Ski Nautique. And, do these ever need to be serviced/tightened? Thanks
Ryan
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2004 at 4:55am
The pylon in our boat had cracks in it where the rope attaches and I welded them up. I also inspected the connection at the floor and it was in great condition. I guess if the pylon was cracked, the boat had seen a lot of weight but the hull/floor was OK.

Although the pylon is "torqued" at floor in the hull the force is basically "shear" which is the strongest direction for most materials.

My boat has pulled 2-200(+) slalom skiers and my eyes were glued to that pylon. Both skiers were on competition style "narrow" ski's which probably put a lot more force on the pylon.

They are very strong, but I'd take a look anyway.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2005 at 11:05pm
I have seen some interesting things done with the pylon. I've seen it used to hold anchor ropes, tow ropes, docking cleat, even used for skiing!

I have never worried about using the pylon in my 82 for any water sport regardless of the number of lines/skiers I had out. If you consider that people put skylon's on these which would really increase the leverage available to break one and I still have never seen or heard of one breaking/bending/or distorting.

I would be intersted also to know how much force these will take or hear of any stories of one failing.
Brian
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2005 at 12:29pm
I read at the Seattle Boat Show (in a Malibu booklet) that their pylon can withstand up to 2,000 pounds of force. My guess is that this is similar to the Nautiques. Pretty impressive.
Ryan
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2005 at 3:21pm
one of the local dock builders on the lake where Ilive (lake Wylie Charlotte, NC) used to tow a pile driving barge with a 1982 Barefoot Nautique for years , You would see him idleing down the lake with this huge barge with a crane on it going up and down the lake on a daily basis. I could'nt believe he was using that boat as a work boat like that , but it did the job .
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic