Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

loud motor

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
onthehill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onthehill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: loud motor
    Posted: May-19-2008 at 7:53pm
I have just bought a Air Nautique 2001 with 27 hrs. I find it hard to sit in back seat and hear when somewone talks due to the loud motor when going about 15 miles per hour. I had a MasterCraft and this was not a problem. Is this usual for a Nautique? thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 8:09pm
At 15mph, youre going to get a lot of sound waves reflecting back into the cockpit due to the large wake and the attitude the boat is at (relatively bow high).

Nautiques have been getting quieter and quieter since they went to the single exhaust in '89. Theyre arguably the quietest tournament boats on the market now. Its likely that your old MC either ran very flat at that speed, or the shape of the wake was different (or both).

Try speeding up by a few mph to get the boat planed off a bit more.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 1:44am
Uhhh...this guy is kidding...right?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
onthehill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onthehill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 12:07pm
jbear, i see you do not have a life (2.8 post a day) . No I am not kidding but you must be a real funny guy.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 1:39pm
Tim,
Didn't your Air Nautique 2001 with 27 hrs come equipped with a set of these?

John, I guess or lives are wasted! We can't talk about our favorite CC's as much!

Tim, Welcome to the site and enjoy your new Air. Are you sitting in the back while someone is boarding at the 15 MPH? It's really not the best idea.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 2:35pm
Onthehill,

Jbear is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Has one pet peeve though. He likes his boats and his motorcycles loud. Enjoys the rumble of the engine.

Pete, he has an Air Nautique. With a tower, no reason not to sit in the back seat.

TRBenj is probably right. 15mph is probably a particularly loud speed band.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

onthehill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onthehill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 2:44pm
Thanks everyone, I enjoy jest as well as next one. sorry to be so touching first time out. I am a convert to Correct Craft already. Seems all my friends have MC but they all admitt the wake for skiing plus the wake for wake boarding and surfing really is a plus over all their 197's. Look forward to this site. Thanks tim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Pete, he has an Air Nautique. With a tower, no reason not to sit in the back seat.
BKH

Brian, The tower is a option and onthehill doesn't state his has it. Even if it does have the tower, I don't feel it's a good idea from the standpoint of tow line snap back. Sitting up front I've gotten hit. Still not the best but you do usually have a chance to see it coming.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
onthehill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onthehill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 3:14pm
yes, do have a tower that I had the Correct Craft Dealer here in NC put on. Several people have said to get a fresh water exhaust, but i just called The correct Craft dealer and he said he has heard about them but has never seen one. Does anyone here know anything about them. thanks
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 3:31pm
Over on Planetnautique, a fellow named Mikeski suggested to you the fresh air exhaust. He put together a buy, and also posted pictures of his install. If you do a search over there you'll get the name of the manufacturer, approximate cost of the unit, and some instruction. It's really not much. A pipe that bolts to the exhaust outlet, and turns down under the water. A bracket to the swim step. Supposed to quiet things down quite a bit. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 3:35pm
Tim, Fresh water cooling is used for coastal areas when the boat is run in salt or brackesh waters. Was it suggested to you as a means of quieting it down or are you planning on running it in salt water? It will not change the sound because the actual exhaust stays the same. On fresh water cooling, a heat exchanger is added that circulates antifreeze through it and the engine just like your car. Sea water is pumped through the other side of this heat exhanger picking up the heat and then out through the manifolds and exhaust.

Edit:
Tim, seems we have some terms mixed up. Sorry! "Fresh air exhaust", "fresh water exhaust" and "fresh water cooling"!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim, Fresh water cooling is used for coastal areas when the boat is run in salt or brackesh waters. Was it suggested to you as a means of quieting it down or are you planning on running it in salt water? It will not change the sound because the actual exhaust stays the same. On fresh water cooling, a heat exchanger is added that circulates antifreeze through it and the engine just like your car. Sea water is pumped through the other side of this heat exhanger picking up the heat and then out through the manifolds and exhaust.

Pete, theyre talking about Fresh Air Exhaust, not FWC.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pete, theyre talking about Fresh Air Exhaust, not FWC.

Tim, I do appreciate the clarification. I did pick up on it as soon as I posted and saw Brians post and the reason I went back in and edited my post. How much do you know about this system? Have you seen it? I haven't!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 4:21pm
Pete, Here's one. Think I might have to pass on these things...but to each their own.

onthehill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onthehill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 4:31pm
Thanks for all the help. Looks like a cleaver idea, don't see any down side to it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by onthehill onthehill wrote:

Thanks for all the help. Looks like a cleaver idea, don't see any down side to it.

Tim, The only down side that I see is it seems to taper down and possible causing a restriction. They could have used some long radius elbows as well. Looks like a high school metal shop project! Just don't sit in the back seat!!

Larry, Thanks for the picture. Interesting but I would have to pass on it as well!!

Tim, post the picture of your exhaust and what a real system should look like.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Pete, Here's one. Think I might have to pass on these things...but to each their own.

Looks like someone refined this guys idea:

Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 1:49am
I believe the other purpose of the Fresh Air Exhaust is to get the Carbon Monoxide down in the prop wash, shooting it out away from the boat making for much safer wakesurfing.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 9:47am
monoxide or dioxide? whats the difference
"the things you own will start to own you"
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 12:26pm
Guys,
The fresh air exhaust is used to get the exhaust gases down into the prop wash as stated so that the exhaust doesn't start to cause issues for passengers and skiers. Kinda like being in your garage when you have a car engine running. It's typically used when somebody is using the boat for a lot of wakesurfing. It can also be much more beneficial for passengers in the back seat while doing a lot of idling (such as driving in "slow no wake zones"). It doesn't take long for passengers or wakesurfers in these situations to feel the effects of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Many of us on this site may not have tried wakesurfing to understand that concept but all of us have had to manuever through extended "slow no wake" zones before with passengers in the back seat soon gasping for air. We don't have jurisdiction on when and where "no wake zones" are implemented so they are well out of our control.

Granted, the fix for the issue is pretty ugly and almost has to be a restriction for the exhaust and rob some horsepower, but we're always talking up safety here. This option is a fix for a potentially very serious problem so I would cut anybody some slack who are trying to make their boat safer for their passengers and skiers.

Just my .02

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Bigcity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigcity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 5:49pm
Don't know if the problem your having relates to the same porblem we experienced.

I have skied for years behind 1999 air Nautique(Sport) with the GT 40 motor. On a couple occasions the exhaust was very loud and in the year seat the pitch was almost unbareable at the 15-22 mile an hour speed.

It turns out what was happening was the exhaust flap had torn, in one case right off and this seemed to be the cause. This item is very cheap and easy fix hope it works for you.
BIGCITY
My Baby !!
onthehill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onthehill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 5:59pm
Thanks, I will see if that is the problem when I get to the lake Friday. will Let you know.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 9:51pm
That fresh air exhaust looks like R2D2's arm without the hand.

However, I see your point Backfoot.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 12:26am
and it does look removable very easily and not a permanent fixture
"the things you own will start to own you"
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 4:50am
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

That fresh air exhaust looks like R2D2's arm without the hand.

Chuck

You mean C-3PO , but you're right, and it's frigging UGLY!!!

BTW...onthehill, you should probably change you name to OVERthehill
      ...you know what they say...If it's too loud...then you're too old!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 4:11pm
I can send you clips of the exhaust sound from my BFN and my Air so you can compare. I am sure we can get TRBenj to send you some sound bites oh his exhaust. MY Air between 1250-1600 rpms is where I think she sounds her best, well there is always WOT aswell. The boat doc got a tatse of WOT on his answering machine the other day.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 2:32pm
And to add to that with a QUOTE FROM JACKY GLEASON..........................

HOW SWEET IT IS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 11:18am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

monoxide or dioxide? whats the difference

I'm not sure if your question was in jest, but there are major and important differences. Carbon Dioxide has two oxygen atoms bound to one carbon atom and is pretty much harmless except from a global warming perspective. Carbon monoxide has only one oxygen atom which allows it to bind with your red blood cells, preventing you from getting enough oxygen to your body to support life.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/carbon_monoxide_poisoning/article_em.htm
1989 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2008 at 12:19pm
it was a serious question.
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2008 at 9:48am
I hope the link helped then Eric. It's a very serious problem for sure. Here in the North East we seem to have a few deaths each year from furnace vents getting blocked by snow and there are way too many boater deaths and serious injuries from carbon monoxide poisoning.
1989 SN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic