Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help with strut

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with strut
    Posted: April-16-2008 at 2:34pm
I cant tell on the inside because it is covered with a beige colored silicone or something. I'll clean all of this off and dremel out the crack and do some repair work.

Nice job with your repair Baffalo, it looks really nice-I hope I don't have to get that crazy with mine.
gb842001
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 9:07am
Hopefully you won't have to go this far, but you're in a similar starting place as I was. Mine was actually dripping so I knew I had troubles!

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 7:12am
Greg, Can you see any cracking on the inside? The small cracks in the gel on the ouside around the strut pocket may be just some stress cracking but you may want to take a closer look at the large one in the middle. I would take a Dremel and with a small burr route it out and see how deep it goes below the gel. If it only goes into the first layer of glass, get some epoxy resin in as a first coat and then some epoxy filler over the top. If deeper, then a larger patch would be needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 2:59am
Here is a pic of my hull where the strut mounts up, does this look in need of repair before I 5200 this thing back in place. Cracks seem fairly minor and I did get everything alighned to .000 tolerance-with a dry fit. I'm gonna take the strut off only once more I hope.
gb842001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 8:12pm
Steve, After all you have read you don't want to do it yourself??
Try Northside Prop Shop They are in Okauchee and can be reached at 262 567 3337
I don't know if he would do it or not. I have heard that he is a good prop shop though.
All the rest (like Chelsea) are larger marinas and you may end up paying the "Eric rate"!! Just kidding Eric!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 6:49pm
Pete,
Can you recommend someone in the Milwaukee area who can check my strut. I need to true it to the log anyway and would like to get it checked and straightened if necessary while I'm at this point.

It will be off the boat, naturally.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 2:43pm
Pete, its a Gray marine v-drive, not a crusader
"the things you own will start to own you"
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 1:53pm
Defenitly didn't offend me eric, and with as much help as you have provided, you guys can call me what ever you want.

Pete- You would would have no problem now a days with the pony tail as long as you are white. Thanks for the help with the 5200, like everything else it is my first time using it.

The more I dig in the more nervous I get, when taking the strut off I noticed some cracks in the hull- telling me the PO hit something pretty hard. I think that is why my side to side is a bit off. I'll take a photo to see if this is something I should repair while I'm under there. Thanks again     
gb842001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 10:16am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete, you were a hippy in the 70"s?

I wouldn't go that far with the description! I just had a pony tail. It was in fashion back then!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 10:09am
i think it was Texas, (the officer and a gentleman thing) Greg, It popped in my head as soon as i seen the word Montana, and that line from the movie, but Rip said it was Texas and I think it was. its right up there with "Go ahead, make my day"    it was all in fun and i hope you wernt offended

Pete, you were a hippy in the 70"s?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 7:22am
Mark, Depending on the type of mounts, some can be a problem with the side to side due to corrosion. Sometimes they need to be removed and freed up on the bench otherwise it is a pry bar and blocks of wood between the engine and the stringer. Someone here just posted they were able to get a small "pancake" hydraulic cylinder with a "porta-power" in between.

Greg, the 5200 really isn't needed on the inside. If you do a good job of sealing the outside then the water won't get that far! If you haven't used the 5200 before, it is a moisture cure so you should know it can take 3 to 4 days to cure if it's real dry. I usually have a spray bottle of water and spray it after assembly to start the cure. The washers as shims will be fine. As long as you have the strut off,you may consider trying to twist it slightly for the side to side alignment with the log. Mounting bolt holes can be elongated slightly as well but twisting the strut back is prefered. It doesn't sound like it would need much.
Greg, Unless things have drastically changed in the over 30 years I've been in Montana, I'll back you up with the fact that the are no queers in the state!! There were even times I had problems walking into a bar back then - It wasn't fashionable to have long hair (pony tail) in the state in the early 70's!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 11:20pm
I'm sure we have steers here in montana, but I've yet to see any queers, just a bunch of good old white boys up here in the north country.

I didn't feel that my shaft was as smooth as it should be unless it was really close to the bottom of the log. After reading the posts from this morning I decided to take my strut off. The bushing didn't show any sighs of uneven wear, and I put two washers on the two back bolts and dry fit it, this really helped with centering it in the log, I would like to move it more towards the drivers side, but there is no play in the strut to move it over. Am I creating other problems by putting those washers in? Should I use the 5200 on the inside of the hull also?
        Thanks, Greg B (not queer!)
gb842001
84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 11:05pm
need help!!!! how the hell can a guy move the motor right and left, I'm told a pry bar works but what do you pry against without wrecking something. I have every thing in line except the motor which needs to be moved a 1/4 inch to the right
Mark 84bare12"
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 11:00pm
Is jimme johnson realy from california, or is that just a cover up from his texas roots.
86 2001
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 10:35pm

steers or queers only works in texas!!!!
86 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 9:40pm
wasnt it steers and queers came from Montana and Lou Gosset asked which one are you, or was that Oklahoma?..thanks for the offer B, I hear its a real beauty out there but.... i think we can get you fixed up over the computer. I think now you have a good understanding of what has to happen here and just by reading your posts you wont settle for anything less than perfect.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 4:30pm
Pete, I follow you. I have a pretty good head for fixing this, but I'm not as good at explaining it as you. My first CC and the BFN both had been hit hard enough to need glass repair, so I assume that the log isn't in it's original position from the beginning. With that in mind, I dry fit the strut to be inline with the rudder and the log and hopefully the keel! From there it's been give a little, take a little. LOL
1988 BFN-sold

baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 4:27pm
Thanks for the quick response, I see I'm not the only one that checks this site a lot. I still think my best bet is to wait and see if Eric has always wanted to come out to montana.
gb842001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 4:09pm
Greg, If the shaft isn't too far off the center of the log in the "relaxed" position then leave it there and move the engine to it. If it's almost touching the log, Then it's time to do a strut alignment. The whole idea is to have a common center line from the prop forward and through the engine crankshaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 4:03pm
Randy, Greg (buffalo) is correct that the shaft doesn't need to be perfect going through the bottom of the boat and the shaft log. It should however be concentric with the strut bore/cutlass bearing after all alignment is finished. Because the cutlass is rubber, it's a tough adjustment to get the strut bolted up just right using the prop shaft. I have mentioned in other threads the use of temporary plastic or any other hard bushing in place of the rubber cutlass. If you have a known straight shaft, then it can be used with 1" ID X 1-1/4" OD bushings in place of the rubber cutlass. This will get the strut as close to the hull hole as possible and then you just move forward to align the engine. Without the hard bushings, it's more of a "feel" if the shaft is concentric with the strut bore/cutlass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 4:03pm
Hey Guys- I am still in this process also, today is 68, so I'm gonna go mess around more with it, but after reading this I had a question. When my shaft is in a relaxed position it is favoring the port side of the log, you can see in the pic I have to put my foot on it to hold it centered in the log. Is being centered in the log important or should I let it stay in a nuetral position and move the motor to it?   Thanks Greg B

P.S. Eric how would you like to come out to beautiful Whitefish Montana and hang out in my garage for a few days!
gb842001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 3:45pm
take your time getting this right, mock everything up and getting everything close and even mark the strut with a sharpie pen on the bottem of the hull. if everything is close on mock up you can use the engine mounts for the final adjustment, try to get the shaft right in the middle of the log with no side pressure on the rubber strut bushings and the coupling up in the trans. if you have to loosen all your pinch mounts and center the shaft to the log and to the srut and then do your up and down alignment.
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 3:37pm
eric if thats aimed at me it came from ski dim earlier this week. I didn't bolt it up permanently yet. I just put it on temporarily to get a better idea of what everybody was talking about on this post.
86 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 3:27pm
make sure you liberally coat the strut with 3m 5200 sealant adhesve, (mating surfaces)
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 3:25pm
8112 I just went out and bolted up the strut. now I see exactly what your saying. I was under the impression that there would't be any play in the shaft with the new cutlass bearing, therefore you would have to shim the cutlass to center of log before allighning. Ounce again a great question and great info by all. A guy like me learns something from every post on here.
86 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by ripsaw ripsaw wrote:

I don't remember reading anything until now that perfect alighnment between the engine and cutlass should also be centered in the log.

I think that's taking it a bit too far. As Pete said, the the shaft being centered(happy) in the cutlass is the important part. If the shaft is slightly off in the log but is good in the cutlass, I'd move on to the engine. It is important that the shaft have enough clearance in the log to keep from making contact, but I don't think it needs to be exactly centered. If it turns out to be way off, you may have had a hull repair and you may need to shim the strut.
1988 BFN-sold

ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 3:02pm
8112 I guess I should explain what I was thinking more so than what I wrote. Until reading that post, I assumed when you bolt the strut back up it was centered in the log. So if I'm reading your post right I should shim the strut to the center of the log, then alighn the engine to the cutlass bearing. I have been reading all I've found here on allighnment, but could very well still be missing the boat. I don't remember reading anything until now that perfect alighnment between the engine and cutlass should also be centered in the log.
86 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by ripsaw ripsaw wrote:

I'll soon be alighning mine when eric sends my tranny back. All I planned on doing was alighning at the coupler. Never even thought about centering in the log first. Great ? and great info.

Randy, While Eric is working on your trans, it will give you plenty of time to go back and read the threads on alignment again. You have missed the fact that the alignment is from the strut forward to the engine. It doesn't matter where the engine is sitting if the shaft isn't concentric to the cutlass bearing in the strut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 1:41pm
I'll soon be alighning mine when eric sends my tranny back. All I planned on doing was alighning at the coupler. Never even thought about centering in the log first. Great ? and great info.
86 2001
84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 9:23pm
i tried the two stainless steal washers and its perfect.   the couplings are really close as well!! now i need to Aline the motor.
Mark 84bare12"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic