NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why are Inboards more Expensive

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by ripsaw ripsaw wrote:

Is wakeboarding turning in to a fashion show was meant to be a ?. If I need to elaborate I will.

I totally agree. If you can give me a better ling for my signature though, go ahead.

ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 9:05pm
nope that one looks good to me. I didnt realize thats what it was, still learning the ins and outs of this forum thing.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 9:45am
anytime a man wears pink, its fashion
"the things you own will start to own you"
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 8:00pm
not in my world.lol
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 8:05pm
I think wake boarding is probably 65% fashion. I work in the snow skiing/snowboarding industry and with the trick snow skiers and snowboarders fashion is all it's about for a big segment of the "participants". Many of these people don't ride with any skill, but spend every day they can hanging around the parks with all the top snowboard fashions on. It's also evident in the magazines when more than half the equipment ads don't have pictures showing the sport. Many of the ads in the free skier magazine show the gear they are selling in the setting of corporate offices in the city not near the mountains. It's all about the money and power/ego.

I think that attitude has spread on to the water world. Some of the folks "in the sport" today wouldn't be at the dock if the boat did not cost $60K. For them it's all about the bling.

I'm happy with my Teal and Pink 1994 Ski Nautique with 400 hrs because it skis great, is very dependable and if my kids scuff the seats or bump it on the dock I don't mind.

If you can find a 99 you like and can easily afford, it will be more fun than a boat with bling and payments. if you don't have to work to make payments you can take time off to ski and boat.

Just my take on it.
Work to live, not live to work.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 11:44pm
79 the bad thing about it though is the guy on a tight budget cant afford a descent boat
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 1:02am
A $5000.00 correct craft inboard would be worth twice as much to me than spending $15-20 grand on an io. I guess it depends on what your going to do, but if it's skiing thats important just get a cc thats in your range and work your way to your dream boat. My wife would love to have a super sport until she sees the price tag. Io's work real well for hauling your cooler to the sand bar though.
86 2001
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

79 the bad thing about it though is the guy on a tight budget cant afford a descent boat

I agree. That ego driven money flinging balloons prices for every one and eventually causes problems. As the inflated prices are not based on a real overall market value.

I think the trends in fashion/life-style image follow an over all mood though. A couple of years ago the new home industry in this resort based region of Oregon I live in was booming. There were young 20 something year old guys all over with $40K trucks pulling $60K boats. These same guys were all over the winter ski resorts with bling abound. Now that construction market has imploded and I see very few of these big bling trucks on the road. It's like some one shipped them all out of the state. At the same time it seems the fashions are more humble.

Maybe a little economic slowdown does a little good from time to time. Per haps the price of new boats will level off for a while and allow our in comes to catch up?

Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2008 at 11:24am
I'll take my '76 Nautique over any IO. If you like to ski or board there's nothing like a Nautique. How many 30+ year old IO boats do you see riding the lake? It's a testament to how good Nautiques were built. The newer ones are better!

I have a friend that has a Malibu wakeboard boat. I pulled his son (14 yrs old)kneeboarding with the '76. When he was done he said, "Your boat has a great wake!" He was used to riding behind the Malibu with tanks full of water and a Perfect Pass.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 3:09pm
From what I hear through the grapevine is there are doing some great things with the Perfect Pass, eventually they will incorporate the electronic shift transmissions into the system to allow you to control prop speed (trolling valve) which means you will be able to obtain 3 rpms on the prop if needed for docking purposes and picking up the skier, and slower cruising speeds in the no wake zones.
I really dont know much about the perfect pass system so correct me if im wrong.
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 3:51pm
79 I hear you on the $100 thousand dollar rigs. My personal favotite is the one sitting in front of $15000 dollar trailer home. I guess if I was 20 and single with that kind of money my priorities would be about the same. Ounce you take the girl boating she'll probably have her blinders on by the end of the day. She won't care where you sleep at night. Just as long as she looks good with her bikini in your hot boat. LOL!!
86 2001
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2008 at 12:05am
I guess if she looks good enough in bikini it it might be worth it.

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 11:41am

Eric-

Whats a tight budget? I see lots of people that are broke but....they drive a new car, their cell phone bill is $100 a month, their cable TV is $100a month, they have a 60" LCD tv, and they go out to eat all of the time.

Its all about choices.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2008 at 1:08am
tight budget? someone not living at mommy's house, 3 kids,1 wife,(not working) 2 car payments, and the burning desire to go skiing on the weekends.....just abot half the population. there's no way i could plop down 60k on a boat
I divide life in 2 category's 1. necessity 2. pleasure. one is needed one is not
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2008 at 2:00pm
I hope the cc is in the necessity column.
86 2001
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2008 at 2:37pm
1 wife,(not working)

Sounds like somebody missed this small detail in their pre-nuptuial agreement.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2008 at 8:24pm

tight budget? someone not living at mommy's house, 3 kids,1 wife,(not working) 2 car payments, and the burning desire to go skiing on the weekends.....just abot half the population. there's no way i could plop down 60k on a boat
I divide life in 2 category's 1. necessity 2. pleasure. one is needed one is not

60K? On a boat...?? I consider 5-10K plenty for a decent ski boat.

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2008 at 10:50am
snob, that was an example, but i did get baited and switched on the working thing
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2008 at 11:39am
luckily i live on a lake with many, many SN's, and have the pick of the litter anytime, the only problem with it though is the 9:00 pm visits and the half hour stories of how the boat broke lol
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 5:35pm
Momma always used to say........

" Marry for money, Love can grow!"

needless to say ; I didn't listen to her.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 12:11pm
hopefully the love grows and not the wife....
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 5:11pm
I read this post through rather quickly, so I may have missed something, but there seems to be one thing not mentioned and that is the cost of an outdrive. By "an outdrive" I don't mean "an outdrive boat" vs "an inboard boat" I mean JUST the outdrive unit itself.

They are very expensive compared to an inboard's more simple transmission.

That makes the original question here a legitimate one. There are certainly huge variations in quality, etc. to consider, but when you look at the price of an outdrive (sterndrive) unit they can range from $6,000 to $13,000 (for example for a new Volvo lower unit (just the drive -- with no engine). Check out Sterndrives.com.

For a rebuilt upper and lower gear case for even an old Volvo 280, you could spend as much as $11,000.00! (Hard to believe, huh?)

My point is if you compare the cost of a (for example) Borg Warner Velvet Drive (or something similar) as used in many inboards you're looking at maybe $1,400 to $2,400.

So if the quality of the boats selected for comparison are similar, the boat with the Stern Drive should cost more!

Don't get me wrong. I have an old boat with an inboard, an old boat with a stern drive, and an old boat with an outboard and I've generally always liked an inboard set up the best, but a stern drive is fairly complex and gives certain significant advantages (won't go into that). Because of the complexity and cost of that extra hunk of engineering hanging off the back of the boat, I would think they would cost more.

BUT, there is desireability to consider. In- boards do a lot of things well and are easier (I'd say) to work on, cheaper to fix, etc. etc.

And re-sale, which was mentioned, probably does come into play somewhat. I've got a 1999 Chevy Astro All Wheel Drive for sale (how did that get into the story?) AND... I've watched (on eBay) the 2WD ones (that cost less originally and have less capability) sell quicker and sometimes for more money than the AWD's "I THINK" just because the AWD's are harder on gas.

Likewise, the inboards I think have some appeal to the buyer who will be doing some of his own work. Outdrives are "more scary" to work on.

There's my 2 cents.    

For an idea of the cost of various marine propulsion systems, check out these sites:
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/mercruiser.htm
(complete engine and stern drive packages)
or
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/ALL3D/Velvet+Drive+%2810-17%29+Transmissions
shows Borg Warner Velvet Drives @ $1,400 - $2,400

Inboards Rule!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 7:15pm
give the drugs away free at the school yard and after that its name your price. its a matter of supply and demand, the average owner of these high dollar boats (inboards) is the 20 to 30 crowd and have no idea what the difference is between an inboard and an outboard, i talk to enough to them and they really dont even know what engine is in them, its called capitalizing and thats exactly what the boat companies are doing.
an inboard boat will usually out live an I/O because of the simplicity of them.
guys are buying complete Merc Alpha outdrives for $1200.00 new...the price has really came down on them

I was using the drug thing as an example and do not condone that in any way BTW
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 5:46pm
Actually, I did sort of forget to mention that I picked up a used Volvo 280 outdrive that has worked fine for about 6 years now for $300

I guess I was just making the point that there's a more complex piece of equipment involved with a stern drive so you'd think it would cost more, but that could, as you've pointed out, be a bad thing.

Oh, and not to confuse things, but you can't compare a Merc Alpha drive to a Volvo either!
Inboards Rule!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 10:49pm
yeah i know, i just rebuilt a volvo outdrive....very over engineered and very expensive to repair....just like thier cars
(not that its a bad thing)
and yes you can compare them because they both do the same identical thing lol
btw it was a 280 also that I rebuilt, it was a PITA!!!!
80 Ski-Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 1:46am
Usually the simpler something is the less trouble they give and I believe this definatley holds true for inboard boats. We have had a ton of boats in the past, outboards, I/O, and inboards too of coarse, and I will say the inboards are not only easier to work on but you don't have to work on them near as often when they get older. I used to live in Fla. and until they finally put channel markers in the bay , running aground in the shallow bays- sometimes on oyster bars, meant death to the out-drives of the era. Meanwhile an inboard could survive this all to common occurance again and again. Outboards usually didn't last long either. I know this is hard to fathom this day in age with modern electronics and markers in every channel but it used to be common to see boats idling around the shallow bays turning up sand and silt when coming in on a low tide. This was not intentional and we went dead slow but it was unavoidable at the time. Point is inboard running gear can take a lot more abuse than the other alternatives. This is why all commercial boats have used inboard propulsion until the introduction of pods.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 11:31am
Originally posted by 64X55 64X55 wrote:

but a stern drive is fairly complex and gives certain significant advantages (won't go into that).

I'm curious as to what the significant advantages are of a stern drive. I can think of two advantages: the ability to trim the drive unit in order to get more hull out of the water at high speeds, and steering in reverse. Everything else I can think of is a complete disadvantage. To summarize:

Advantages:
Trim
Reverse Steering

Disadvantages:
Complexity/many points of failure
Expensive to maintain and repair
Boats generally need to draft much more to get the whole nasty unit under water
Zero to very little control when drive unit trimmed up in shallow water
Terribly rearward weight bias
Generally hideous looking (IMO)
Lousy steering ability
Slower to plane
Parasitic drivetrain with multiple direction changing gears
Terrible shifting from forward/reverse with dog-tooth engagement set-up in drive unit
Comparably inefficient props with massive hubs

I can't stand I/Os. Every time I see one I can't believe that the idea ever made it out of the board room- that was a sad day in the boating industry.

Also, when comparing the cost of the two units, you have to factor in the cost of exhaust components, raw water cooling pump, and steering components, since the I/O unit does all of those tasks as well (in general).
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

mjohn1988 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjohn1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 10:18pm
I would agree with everybody. Correct crafts are tanks. I baught an 83 that had been in an accident. I paid 2k for the boat and spent $100 in fiberglass stuff to fix it. One good test of a tuff boat is to head for some rollers on the lake in any boat and see how much the holl shakes. Then do the same in a correct craft and note how rigid the hull is. I could go on for hours about CC.

Project Man
project man
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 1:03am
Originally posted by britdog britdog wrote:

We're skiers, BTW. No wakeboarders here...not that there's anything wrong with that

Then you might want to look at a ski nautique and not a sport.

Unless you want to find out how much fun boarding is.

Owning a CC is an experience. They are built well, command a premium $$ when for sale, and they command attention when on the lake with their presence.

I get more thumbs up on my lake than any other brand of boat, even with a 30 yr old boat.

I don't get how the majority of bed headed 20 year olds can be out there on 60k + boats wakeboarding. Well, minus the ones that are PAID to do that. LOL

Never mind me, I am an old boarder that started boarding when the first real wakeboards were made. Everyone break out the skurfer's.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 1:07am

They can't.

Not that my boat is not decent, I put sweat blood and tears into my 78 that I got for 4500 like 7 years ago. But you bet your A$$ I would trade it in for a new Air nautique if I could .

I have a mortgage, and am underpaid. So until that second part changes, I will soldier on with my martinique.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic