Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shelbyville weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 2:30am
Well, we drove down to the campground just to make our reservations and we took some notes on which spots are good and which aren't. Basically looking at parking and such. Renee is going to work on uploading a campground map with the notes on it. We liked our location and reserved for $20. Alan, your spot is #61 IF you want the same spot for the Bounder.

Normally, I wouldn't think that spots will be hard to come by, but being right after labor day and decent weather, there will be more campers there than last year. FYI, there were a fair amount of campers this weekend.

Will keep you posted, but we are definitely locked in now!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 10:10am
What's the water level like at Shelbyville? I personally haven't been there, but earlier this summer I heard the water levels were very low.

Of those going, how many have kids that would also go? That might be a make or break for me if I can't sell it to the family as a "fun for everyone" event. Is there a beach area for the kids? accessable by boat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 11:03am
I must admit, I am a foreigner to Shelbyville. It is a lake I don't go to due to travel distance. When we were there yesterday to check out the campgrounds and such, we commented on the lake looking low. If it was low earlier this summer, it is going to be lower yet! We haven't gotten much rain at all down that direction. So to answer your first question, I would say it is quite low.

About the beach situation, I am not sure of. I know there is a beach area, but it is bouyed off and no boats can "beach" themselves. I didn't see any docks or facilities like that. Again, this is only in one area and we are generally on the far side of the lake skiing and hanging out. I don't know if somebody else more familiar with the lake can help with this or not. I am sure we could find a spot that is shallow for the kids.

Gary and lisa brought their kids last year. There were only a few of us in '06 but yes there were a few young ones there. I am not sure what the real head count is and what the family status is. I usually act like a kid!

Hope this helps a bit and maybe some others can chime in. I am really looking forward to the weekend!

Also, noticed the announcement in Waterski magazine for the NE reunion! Great job Keith! Word is getting out!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 11:18am
Reidp: are you still planning on making it to Shelbyville? I re-read the posts and you were concerned about camping spots. Don't worry about it. In just the one campground there is over 100 sites and there are another 110 or so in the other. Almost all of them can accomodate RV's too.

Sure would like to have you guys in Illinois. We are looking at possibly 15 groups making the trip! This should be upgraded from "mini reunion" to "big bash"!

Keep in touch!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 1:42pm
We are planning on coming down as a family. 7-1/2yr old twins and 4-1/2 year - all girls. They love to play with boys and girls of any age - even Quinner!
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 1:46pm
Can someone post contact info for the camp ground? Also, is there a section or area that most this group is setting up camp?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Can someone post contact info for the camp ground? Also, is there a section or area that most this group is setting up camp?

Just talked to the campground and he said for our weekend not to worry about getting sites as there will be plenty. Here is a link to the reservation page but it must be mailed in. wolf creek I'm going to mail in and reserve the site we had last year site 61 (thanks Todd) and he said 63 was already reserved so I'm guessing thats Todd and Rene. There is no site map on the internet so I can't help you there but last year there were plenty of sites right around us open.

IF all goes as planned we will be getting in thursday night after work and I'll stake claim to as many sites as we need come friday am so let me know who needs one and I'll do what I can to keep us all together.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 2:47pm
Alan, I could use a spot. Probably across the street for a tent like Gary and Lisa did last time. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 2:51pm
Another thing that could be fun is for everyone to bring whatever ski gear they have, you know the stuff you haven't used for years. Like zip sleds, (raindog). I have an old set of tricks I'll bring. A couple knee boards could be fun. If I don't find some old shoes skis by then I'm going to buy a set. We definately need a whole mess of combos so we can kill ourselves building some pyramids. That's what the kids are for, they're good climbers. Maybe someone has an airchair?

Bring it all and we'll have a blast.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 2:56pm
Alan, I love your thinking. We built some pyramids at Quinner's on Saturday. Hopefully he'll post a picture or two. It was a lot of fun, followed by pain the next few days. I really should have some new shoes for you by then.

After watching back barefoot lines this weekend, I'm even more pumped to learn that damn flip turn ski.

We're going kneeboarding this saturday!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 3:10pm
As far as low water levels in Shelby, we were deploying the course in 50+ feet of water so a few feet here or there won't hurt anything. We had to add rope extensions to the course because it was so deep!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Alan, I love your thinking. We built some pyramids at Quinner's on Saturday. Hopefully he'll post a picture or two. It was a lot of fun, followed by pain the next few days.

Hollywood does not feel nearly as skinny as he looks while standing on your shoulder or falling on your thigh, ouch!! Still a little tired today, will post the pic's tonight. Last night Booby and I Tried some flip turns on his backwards kick ski (old jumper w/bindings reversed), close but no cigar. I am pretty sure there is a pair of shoe ski's in my basement, will see if I can dig them up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Alan, I love your thinking. We built some pyramids at Quinner's on Saturday.

After watching back barefoot lines this weekend, I'm even more pumped to learn that damn flip turn ski.

We're going kneeboarding this saturday!

Talked to Chris yesterday that's where I got the idea. Said you guys had a blast. We used to build Pyramids all the time, it's lot of fun to just goof off instead of hard core skiing especially when we've got 2 days on the water to kill. Forgot you still had that flip turn, bring it out and we'll master it or use it for firewood.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 10:38pm
I think my brother has 2 kneeboards that we can bring....definitely one. Haven't done that in a while.

Rob
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 11:21pm
Zip Sled (early '70's) - Check
O'brien World Team Comp (early '80's) - Check
Low end kneeboard - Check
Hyperlite Roam 144 cm wakeboard- Check
Kids Hyperlite 119 cm wakeboard - Check

Its cool that Shelbyville is gearing up to be about behind the boat instead of the boat itself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 1:13am
This is starting to sound like our family gathering last july 4th. Our theme was "retro" and we dug out all the old wood skis that us kids learned on, the ol' Mike Sauderhound wood slalom, and of course the wooden disk with the lawn chair!

I think we are going to have a blast. There is a area of the campground where we would all be close together, but that would put us next to the campground host.

Renee and I were staining the deck till dark so I don't think we will get the map with notes posted. Sorry, but will work on that soon.

Later
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 2:20am
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

Reidp: are you still planning on making it to Shelbyville? I re-read the posts and you were concerned about camping spots. Don't worry about it. In just the one campground there is over 100 sites and there are another 110 or so in the other. Almost all of them can accomodate RV's too.

Sure would like to have you guys in Illinois. We are looking at possibly 15 groups making the trip! This should be upgraded from "mini reunion" to "big bash"!

Keep in touch!

Todd, I'm suffering from severe mental anguish as the weekend for this "big bash" is a conflict with our yearly Antique and Classic boat show weekend. This sounds like a big one, and you know I'm always ready.

As for our trip back to GL to nab the camper and Mustang we've targeted Aug 25-26th. So if Raindog, Moj, 81, quinner, Stang or lord knows anyone else can or gonna be in town, please let us know. The Goose is honkin my name.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 4:20am
I love that place, Reid ride the shot-ski for me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 10:46am
Reid, I can understand your "anguish" because I love the old boats and especially wood boats! We have been to Lake Geneva for the in water boat show and it is awesome. Love the old Chrissies and Gar-Wood. I grew up skiing behing a 1947 PenYan. Uncle still won't sell it to me. Just sits in the garage and rots.

Well, if your decision changes, let us know. It will be a good time.

1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 10:48am
Oh, forgot to mention that Renee figured out how to use photobucket last night and she will hopefully post the campground map tonight if anybody is interested.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 11:03am
Let's say someone decides to head down last minute. Do you think there will be open campsites? I haven't been following this thread because I thought there was no chance and it bummed me out. One son starting high school, one starting college. But who knows. Never say never.
A map of the digs would be great.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Let's say someone decides to head down last minute. Do you think there will be open campsites? I haven't been following this thread because I thought there was no chance and it bummed me out. One son starting high school, one starting college. But who knows. Never say never.
A map of the digs would be great.
Steve

I talked to the campground yesterday asking about reservations and he said don't worry there will be plenty of spots. I did send in mine anyway so we can have the same campsite we had last year as that seemed to work out pretty good. We're also right next to Todd and Renee.

Like I stated above, If anyone that wants a site just lets me know before that weekend we plan on heading up thursday after work and Friday morning I can get with the site host and hold as many sites we need as close together as possible.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 10:03pm
Alan....if you get there before we do, grab a site for us(tent camping) across from you , next to Hollywood.

Sooo...who is on board for sure...head count???

Who is iffy and might come???

Joel...any chance??? You know BKH traveled last year with a litle girl even younger than yours!

stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 12:59am
We are 100% there.   50/50 on the boat. Wife says no...I'll have to threaten to cut her off...oh wait...I don't know if that will work. Seriously though, I think we'll be bringing the boat. Can't wait.

Rob
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 4:06pm
Rob, bring that boat. You gotta represent the TSCs if Joel don't go.

Definitely got 2 going here, maybe more. Not sure on the boat. If we have enough it'll be more work tying it off than skiing behind it.

Plenty of gas $$
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 4:58pm
Still planning on going but it will be weather dependent. We spent last week camping where we got 7" of rain overnight. Not gonna do that again!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 5:04pm

Still planning on going but it will be weather dependent. We spent last week camping where we got 7" of rain overnight. Not gonna do that again!

Posted By: RainDog
For some odd redneck reasoning ,I find humor in the post plus your screen name.....LOL
Did you have Fido with you???????
                  boat dr
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 10:11pm
I was a wet mutt for sure, Doc.

No hounds in the household for us. Wife is very allergic to them and cats too.

Rain Dogs is one of my favorite albums by Tom Waits. He said it referred to stray dogs that got lost in the city when the rain washed away their scents. For days and days, they would wander around, sniffing and looking for a way back home.

That's the way I feel when I boat (or formally motorcycle). I intentionally get lost and slowly make my way back home again.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 10:34pm

That's the way I feel when I boat (or formally motorcycle). I intentionally get lost and slowly make my way back home again.

I wish I knew how to be so relaxed...that made me smile.
Thanks   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 11:22am
Steve,

I did wonder if it had something to do with Tom Waits! That is a great album! Another good one is "Bone Machine"...good thing you did'nt us that!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic