Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sputtering/Backfiring Under Load

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 8:50pm
Ok, minor change of plans. I stopped by the local CC dealer (Century Marine) and they had a electronic conversion in stock so I picked one up.

At first they wanted to sell me a Mallory one, but then the head mechanic came out said he had a PCM one (part no RP173072) so I got that one.    This mechanic admitted that he thought it was a better one--and I think he told me it was made by Pertronix.

I asked about the coil issue, and the guy said he generally recommends getting a new coil and bypassing the ballast resistor, if for no other reason than it eliminates another failure point.

So I also picked up a new coil from them. The coil is a mallory 9-29703.

I think I will try and install it tonight, see if we can make some progress.   

Jared

Jason: I don't know if my conversion kit is a new version, or an old one, but I hope it is a new one. I now suspect that the problem may have been burned out points due to leaving the ignition on while not running.

Also, do you remember the details of how you were to check the circuit? I have a DVM. Maybe I will try and find Pertronix's phone number and ask them.
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 9:36pm
Well, I opened up the instructions on the ignition conversion kit, and it says for "optimal performance" use the prestolite 5-69 coil.

The mallory coil I bought corresponds to the prestolite 5-10 coil (as best I can find on the internet)

So it looks like I need to make another trip back to the store.

Jared
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by sjpitts sjpitts wrote:

I now suspect that the problem may have been burned out points due to leaving the ignition on while not running.

Why are you leaving the ignition on when not running? If you are doing that, you will have the ignition system energized and that will definitely ruin points in a hurry. I assume that you probably have a stereo or something else that was added and you want it to be on while the engine is not running. If that's the case, you better get a new ignition switch that has an accessory position on it and rewire whatever you're trying to run thru that accessory position so you're not energizing the ignition.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Why are you leaving the ignition on when not running?

It only happened once and it was quite unintentional.

All I know is that when I got home once (after about a 40 minute tow home) I found the ignition key on. I had forgotten all about it until today.

I blame the wife.

Jared
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 3:21pm
So I couldn't find a prestolite 5-69, but I found the sierra equivalant (18-5433) and the NAPA equivalent (IC12). But one issue --- both coils say right on the coil "Use with external resitor" (and the number 903) but the instructions with the electronic conversion kit specifically say to bypass the external resistor.

But I am going to assume that this is still right. For some reason Pertronix recommends a Prestolite 5-69, which would normally be used with an external resistor-- but when used with kit you still bypass. Regardless of what it says on the coil.

Which probably means there is really not the much difference between the 5-69 and the normal points distributor that I already have (the 1223 from SkiDim). In fact, when I measure the resistance on that coil I get 1.7 ohms, which I think is only slightly greater than the 1.5 that would be on the 5-69.

Jared   

/needs to get a life
JasonR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 8:05pm
This is what I meant by "saving a day" I fell into this black hole of coil resistance and ballist resistors and ended up ordering the right coil. I do not remember the numbers but there is a upper and lower limit to the voltage to the module. I'm thinking that the lower was 7 volts needed to fire and the upper was 11 or the module will fail early but DO NOT QUOTE ME. Give the guys at Pertronix a call and they will run you through it.
'86 2001 800hrs
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2007 at 3:50pm
Well I got the conversion installed---and it runs.

I only had two problems. The first is that when I pulled off the old cam assembly there was a bushing that came off with it--- and then dropped so I wasn't sure which way the bushing went on. I think I figured it out-- the bushing went on so the cam assembly would ride within it.

But then when I got it all installed there was vertical play in the cam assembly. See the picture. The arrow points the cam assembly. I can move that cam assembly up and down about 1/16 of the inch (even with the clip any everthing attached). I am not sure if that is normal, or if I did something wrong.

Anybody know???????

At first I was a little worried that I put the bushing on wrong and this is letting the cam assembly drop too far down, but now I am not sure.

The second issue was that I tried to install the wiring grommet upside down and the wiring was a little short. In the picture it is upside down. When I finally got it installed right the wiring was still tight, but at least it fit.

I removed the ballast resistor, and connected the two wires directly together, effectively bypassing the resistor per the instructions. Left the stock coil in there.

I did not install the new advance springs. The instructions said not to do it unless they were broken or worn. They looked ok, so I left them in. I don't know if I will regret this.

It started right up and ran. At first it wasn't idling to great and I was annoyed, but when it warmed up and I adjusted the timing it seemed to run nice and smooth.

Next job-- plugs, wires and lake test.

Jared

Jason: I am going to call Pertronix tomorrow and get the full story on the coil.
JasonR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 11:54pm
If I remember right Mine has some play also. I think I removed my grommet or it doesn't fit in well. I'll take a look. Your system looks nothing like mine (Petronix) by the way.
'86 2001 800hrs
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 11:25am
Jason-- mine doesn't look like yours? Is yours a PCM? Mine is came in a PCM wrapper with part number RP173072 on it. It looks just like the one SkiDim sells.

I thought that the PCM was made by Pertronix, but maybe it isn't.

Anybody know?

Jared
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 11:36am

Jason-- mine doesn't look like yours? Is yours a PCM? Mine is came in a PCM wrapper with part number RP173072 on it. It looks just like the one SkiDim sells.

I thought that the PCM was made by Pertronix, but maybe it isn't.

Anybody know?

Jared

I believe thats the Prestolite kit.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 12:01pm
Mine looks like that, all it has on the top side is "086" in a rusty brown colored stamp. I have no idea who makes it, and I believe it is wired using the ballast resistor. It will be coming out soon to inspect the advance springs and base plate, as I'm only seeing ~20 max advance @ 3k rpm.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 12:20pm
The PCM/Prestolite kit should have the ballast resistor bypassed.

Hollywood, when you say 20 degrees max advance, is that in addition to the base timing (~30 degrees total)?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 1:24pm
10 base, 20 is what i see at 3k rpm. A little low, but I've already eliminated out fuel and compression. MSD Blaster II which I believe to be oil filled. Shorting out the ballast and the engine will not run.

I should probably go ahead and order this coil. Supposing I do have the PCM/Prestolite EI kit I will be bypassing the ballast then?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 1:39pm
So youre only getting 10 degrees of advance at 3k (10 base + 10 advance = 20 total)? Thats way off- you should see double that (30+ degrees total advance). That might explain your top end issues.

My EI had the resistor bypassed, and that is consistent with SkiDIM's website. I believe the purple/black wires are the clue that its the Prestolite kit.

The epoxy-filled unit is a good thought, but Id give SkiDIM a call and see what they recommend. I originally had the the conversion module installed and they seemed to think my MSD Blaster II coil caused its early demise. SkiDIM sells a coil that might extend the module's life. If youre not 100% certain that the coil is your culprit, get one locally for troubleshooting so you can return it.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 3:24pm
Hollywood you need to get yourself a whole bunch more advance and but quick, it will be a whole different boat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

So youre only getting 10 degrees of advance at 3k (10 base + 10 advance = 20 total)? Thats way off- you should see double that (30+ degrees total advance).

Total is 30. I'm seeing 10 base + 20 @ 3k.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 7:10pm
Thats about 5-6 degrees shy.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 4:23am
How do you guys measure the advance at those RPMs? I didn't think you were supposed to run the engine that fast on the fake a lake, or even just on the water in neutral. Are you measuring the timing at 3k moving?

What should the timing be at 3k?

Jared
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 11:28am
Ok, I have I have some done some searching, and reread this thread. I am getting that the total timing at 3k RPM for the prestolite with the screw on cap should 35 degrees (10 base + 25 advance), and that it is ok to measure that with the fake a lake as long as you don't keep it at those RPMs for too long.

Is that right?

I have never run my boat that fast on the fake a lake. Or even just in neutral on the lake.

How much should it be at 2k?

Jared

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 12:00pm
Depends how heavy the advance springs are. It should probably be pretty close to completely advanced at that RPM. I would guess someplace around 25-30 degrees.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 2:36pm
"But when I tried to wakeboard, my wife said it was sputtering all the time. OTOH, the boat could pull my ten year old all day without sputtering. So it appears to be load dependent. "

you could tell your wife she needs to go on a diet.

but the safe thing might be to check the coil if you are still using the old one. A bad coil will produce a weak spark under load.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 6:45pm
you might want to check the powervalve if it's backfiring all of the time

you should have max advance by 2500 rpm so if you are seeing the upper 20's to low 30's at 2k then the advance is fine.
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by gigem75 gigem75 wrote:

"But when I tried to wakeboard, my wife said it was sputtering all the time. OTOH, the boat could pull my ten year old all day without sputtering. So it appears to be load dependent. "

you could tell your wife she needs to go on a diet.

but the safe thing might be to check the coil if you are still using the old one. A bad coil will produce a weak spark under load.

Just to be clear, it was me that was wakeboarding and causing the sputtering problem. If anyone needs a diet, I do.

I still havent replaced the coil, but it is on my list.

Jared
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 11:05pm
Ok, to recap, I have a sputtering problem underload and between 2k-- 2.4k RPM.

Since my last lake trip I have
1) replaced the plugs with autolite 24's
2) replaced the plug wires
3) installed a PCM/Prestolite electronic ignition conversion and set the timing to 10 degrees. I bypassed the ballast resistor, but I haven't replaced the coil yet. Still figuring out what to do there.
4)drained a bunch of gas, to fill up with new.

I am going to do a 5AM lake trip on the morrow. I am hoping to see some improvement. However, my hopes are somewhat diminished. I just checked the advance following 79nautique's suggestion, and it appears that I am only getting about 10 degrees of advance 2k RPM.

Also, I put my dwell meter on it and was only getting about 7 degrees of dwell. I don't know what the dwell is supposed to be with the conversion.

We will see.

Jared
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 11:33pm
now that you have electronic ignition you don't need to worry about the dwell that is only for points.

Also you need to take the conversin kit out and look at the mechanical advance for broken or missing springs as that is where your issue is. once you figure out what's wrong with the mechanical advance and fix it then reset the timing re-adjust the carb and it should run fine.
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 2:31pm
Well, the lake trip was a sucsess. No sputtering. Boat ran well, nice and smooth.

I am going to guess it was bad points brought on by leaving the ignition on accidentally.   

I should say that that I don't run the boat that fast. The fastest I run the boat is 35 MPH at about 3k RPM. I say this because I am probably missing top end do to the lack of advance, weak compression, and such, but I don't really notice that much. I have no real desire to go faster. It just makes my wife nervous.

It is definitely running rich. At idle especially.

So I think the next task will be to check out the lack of advance and adjust the carb.

When I put in the electronic ignition the springs looked fine. But I really have no experience with this stuff. I have replacement springs from the kit. I think I will try those first. And see if I can figure out if something is wrong with the weights and such. Once again, I really know nothing about that stuff.   

I fear the carb will need more than adjustment, I may see if I can find a good local rebuilder.

Thanks for all the help

Jared
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 3:07pm

The fastest I run the boat is 35 MPH at about 3k RPM. I say this because I am probably missing top end

If that speed is accurate you're not missing any top end at all!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 4:11pm

It is definitely running rich. At idle especially.

So I think the next task will be to check out the lack of advance and adjust the carb.

When I put in the electronic ignition the springs looked fine. But I really have no experience with this stuff. I have replacement springs from the kit. I think I will try those first.   

Jared, nice to hear it ran good for you. From other posts I've seen from you, I don't know that you're running too rich. Do you get black smoke when you start it or when you're idling? Your plugs look just like mine used to when I lived in the north and would run the boat for 10-15 minutes at idle to warm up before changing the oil when I was winterizing it. Then I would pull the plugs to fog the cylinders and they all looked just like yours. You gotta open that sucker up!!!! Do a couple barefoot runs and pull the plugs and I'll bet they look totally different. You can do a search for setting the idle mixture to adjust that, but I think the carb is OK. You should definitely look at replacing the old springs with the springs in the EI kit though. That would be first. If you have any additional problems, I would change out the coil first thing. When I put my MSD setup in my boat, the old coil only lasted a week or two. Enjoy the moment!

Eddie
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 4:47pm

So youre only getting 10 degrees of advance at 3k (10 base + 10 advance = 20 total)? Thats way off- you should see double that (30+ degrees total advance). That might explain your top end issues.

IIRC the balancer cover didn't even have marks past 25.

My EI had the resistor bypassed, and that is consistent with SkiDIM's website. I believe the purple/black wires are the clue that its the Prestolite kit.

I think it's a Prestolite. Purple/black indeed.

The epoxy-filled unit is a good thought, but Id give SkiDIM a call and see what they recommend. I originally had the the conversion module installed and they seemed to think my MSD Blaster II coil caused its early demise. SkiDIM sells a coil that might extend the module's life.

I talked to Vince just a little while ago. He said the ballast resistor is probably the only thing saving the EI conversion kit from the Blaster II coil that's in there.

If youre not 100% certain that the coil is your culprit, get one locally for troubleshooting so you can return it.

I don't think it's the coil causing the problems, but it's not right so I will change it out for the one that doesn't need the ballast resistor from skidim.

Unfortunately the springs aren't readily available. I will bring them to the speed shop I use and see what is available.

For reference, he threw out a few other ideas that might be causing this lacking high end performance:
-retarded timing
-air gap too high, should be ~6 thou instead of the 8-10 called for
-too much oil. 5 qts is enough
-exhaust restriction
Jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 8:58pm
I went the rebuild route. Two rebuilds (for the price of one) and I was buying a new carb. Jeg's has the Holley marine for the cheapest, about $400. Summers too short to be messing around with a back rebuild job. I spent 2 weeks on mine and another 1 or so waiting for the mailman. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic