NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Impeller lubricant?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 6:00pm
^^^^^
bet its just glycerin
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 7:04pm
I wish I could give you a real answer about dish washing detergent vs laundry detergent. No background on that.
Could be worth a little reading to find out.
I am not aware of dish soap hurting rubber products.
I always used the dish soap figuring it always washes off with water otherwise our food would taste of the detergent.
I have never questioned the thought till you brought it up.
To be safe certainly stick with the manufacturers recommendation if possible.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by GMacLaren GMacLaren wrote:

Here's one where we waited a bit too long:

Or ran it without water. Looking at the damage, that's the likely cause.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 7:56pm
The boat was never run out of the water. It lives in a wet WI boathouse and has never been started until in the water. Maybe it was "run dry" because the impeller was worn and could not properly prime the pump. It had been running on the lake for about an hour before the temp. increased, and I stopped the engine. On the other hand, my friend who owns the boat, had not looked at the impeller for more than six years.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 8:26pm

my friend who owns the boat, had not looked at the impeller for more than six years.

And I've gone (as Tim remembered from a previous post) 14 years on impellers (dual cavity on my 312). It too lives in a boathouse in northern Wisconsin. Yours is a classic case of running dry. Even if you or your friend drops it in the water before starting, does he check to see if the RWP is primed?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

. . . does he check to see if the RWP is primed?

She never checks.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 9:31pm
Why do the darn things shred apart in the first place? A piece breaks off and gets stuck in the outlet hole or inlet and rips the rest apart? I know the last time I shredded one it was right after a start heard the belt squeal and thought it strange. Ski course run later steam blowing out the back. Gave me a good clue why the squeal but it seemed so spontaneous with no warning signs at all.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 9:37pm
And I've gone (as Tim remembered from a previous post) 14 years on impellers (dual cavity on my 312). It too lives in a boathouse in northern Wisconsin. Yours is a classic case of running dry. Even if you or your friend drops it in the water before starting, does he check to see if the RWP is primed?

This is absurd and an anomaly. 14 years on an impeller is not something to boast about.
In addition I will add that a well maintained pump and plumbed system will not require priming. These are not flooded suction pumps.
You want a rule-of-thumb? How about the third year is borrowed time.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 9:43pm
It's cheap insurance, I replace mine every spring
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 10:02pm
In our group of ski friends with many tournament boats and 30+ years boating together it seems we usually get a small warning. The engine starts to run a little warmer at idle not long before it goes out.
Usually temps are normal running but hotter at idle. Heed the warnings, I don't think you get 1 more hour use after the temp fluctuates before you are stranded with no pump at all. I am an every other year replacer now.
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I am an every other year replacer now.

I like that idea. I'm also thinking of removing the impeller when winterizing (some of us have to) -- just to see if it loses its "set" when out of the pump.   
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 11:29pm
I used to review test results for rubber parts, they test against heat, aging, UV, ozone, oil, & compression set, but not alkali resistance. I think dawn is a safe bet.

Ozone is one of rubber's worst enemies. If you remove it during layup, put it in a ziplock bag, out of the sunlight & it will last much longer.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 11:40pm
It has been my experence that once they take a set it will always be there. On a Sherwood they are easy enough to remove,so I do. But the Jabsco on the HM is a different story,it uses a paper gasket thats 12.00 a pop so I rarely remove it. It was left up north for the first time in years so I pulled it to make sure there was no water in it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2015 at 8:34am

Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

a well maintained pump and plumbed system will not require priming. These are not flooded suction pumps.

Correct a flex impeller pump is self priming but, if there is a air leak or say a hose not connected after winterizing preventing priming, it doesn't take long to heat up from lack of lubrication. The rubber quickly deteriorates and breaks up from heat.

Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

14 years on an impeller is not something to boast about.

Did you read the original thread? It was not boasting but rather stated fact. It was mentioned due to the belief that impellers need to be replaced every year. That is what's absurd!

This is the only reason to use a non petroleum based lubricant:
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

On the less self inflicted side if you have a slight air leak or blockage and the system doesn't prime right away having lubed the impeller will keep you from smoking it before you figure out the source of your troubles.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2015 at 9:10am

I've seen ads for impellers that will run "15 minutes dry" and wonder if they are rubber.

They are a urethane compound instead of a Buna-N.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2015 at 12:32am
Found on page 11 of the Sherwood Pump manual:

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 12:52pm

. . . does he check to see if the RWP is primed?

She never checks.

How are you checking to see if your's is primed, seems like a PITA everytime you want to go out on the boat...

I have noticed mine struggles when i'm idling, i have to speed up to get the damn thing to work, my engine temp just starts to sky rocket, so i pick up the speed to cool her down. It's an issue I haven't had a chance to spend time on, but would love to get it fixed.

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 1:04pm
I am really learning as I go. Sound to me like you are really ready for a pump rebuild -- maybe only an impeller. But I'd suggest you do it NOW; don't put it off. With a good pump, you won't have to "check for prime." If you see water at the exhaust very shortly after engine start, ypu'll be good to go.
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 1:07pm
he's more likely sucking air

poor pump performance and you'll only get hotter with RPM
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 1:14pm

I've seen ads for impellers that will run "15 minutes dry" and wonder if they are rubber.

They are a urethane compound instead of a Buna-N.

A friend here looked at my new Sherwood impeller and said he doesn't think it's rubber. (He's the once-owner of the once largest boat dealer here in STL and has rebuilt many boat engines. He's retired now, but still restores outboards -- he's rebuilt hundreds.) He thinks the material is a sophisticated compound devised especially for the pump impeller application.

BTW, Sherwood has a nice PDF of their 2009-10 manual on the 'net. They sure make many models.    
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

How are you checking to see if your's is primed, seems like a PITA everytime you want to go out on the boat...

I have noticed mine struggles when i'm idling, i have to speed up to get the damn thing to work, my engine temp just starts to sky rocket, so i pick up the speed to cool her down. It's an issue I haven't had a chance to spend time on, but would love to get it fixed.

Checking each time you go out isn't needed. It's after draining when it should be checked. Hoses should feel cool, feel pressurized and water should be exiting the exhaust.

Speed up to cool!! That's not a solution. You have a problem that needs to be attended to. Check for leaks on the suction side of the RWP. If none, then rebuild the pump. The shaft seal may be sucking air. How does the impeller look? Hopefully you NEVER run the boat without being in the water or hooked up to the hose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 1:25pm
Making sure everything is leak free is paramount in impeller performance. People shred stuff all the time and I have no clue how.

I use just a little cheap dish soap sometimes if it is available. Otherwise I just put water in it. I dry start before I go to the ramp just long enough to hear it fire. I drive my stuff like I stole it and I get about 3 seasons or 260-350 ish hours out of the G21 impellers.

My trigger to replace is when the temp starts to creep up a little at idle after a long BF run and takes a while to come down.

Not so much the wear but the rubber compound gets soft and squishy and reduces pumping efficiency.

(edit) I also remove belts/hoses during winterization and turn the impeller backwards to remove any water in it. Leave it that way till spring and turn it by hand to make sure it isn't stuck to the housing an rips a blade off like I've seen so many times.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

he's more likely sucking air

poor pump performance and you'll only get hotter with RPM

+1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 3:57pm

Checking each time you go out isn't needed. It's after draining when it should be checked. Hoses should feel cool, feel pressurized and water should be exiting the exhaust.

Speed up to cool!! That's not a solution. You have a problem that needs to be attended to. Check for leaks on the suction side of the RWP. If none, then rebuild the pump. The shaft seal may be sucking air. How does the impeller look? Hopefully you NEVER run the boat without being in the water or hooked up to the hose.

The pump i took apart several times to try to diagnose the issues, but couldn't figure it out, the pump is in great condition. Also the hoses are fine...i figure if i'm sucking air just about the only spot i could is where it attaches to the RWP....anything below that and wouldnt i be taking on water into the boat when it's at rest?

I'm thinking about installing my left over 318 RWP i have laying around from the 318 i junked. my 1970 has a 273.
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 4:25pm

The pump i took apart several times to try to diagnose the issues, but couldn't figure it out, the pump is in great condition. Also the hoses are fine...i figure if i'm sucking air just about the only spot i could is where it attaches to the RWP.

How did you "diagnose the issue" with the RWP?

How do you know the pump is in "great condition"?

Have you tightened up hose connections?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 4:39pm
Strainer cup cracked or missing oring?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by jhersey29 jhersey29 wrote:

Strainer cup cracked or missing oring?

Unless a strainer was added, a 70 would not have a strainer. Also, with a dual pickup dual pocket RWP, Peter would need two strainers on his 318.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 6:14pm

The pump i took apart several times to try to diagnose the issues, but couldn't figure it out, the pump is in great condition. Also the hoses are fine...i figure if i'm sucking air just about the only spot i could is where it attaches to the RWP.

How did you "diagnose the issue" with the RWP?

How do you know the pump is in "great condition"?

Have you tightened up hose connections?

I took off the outlet hose connections and ran the engine, water came out at a decent rate, (only for a minute or 2).

Hose connections I can't make any tighter unless i break the hose clamp

and yes I have 2 strainers. John B and I didn't spend too much time on it, next summer, i'll spend sometime on it and figure it out, new hoses wouldn't hurt.
1970 Mustang
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 6:16pm
I would really like to see video evidence of a RWP sucking air at the shaft seal. The only place where lift or "suction" occurs is at the cam where the impeller blades bend. If a shaft seal is bad, water is going to come out. The seal is designed to keep water away from the bearing.
Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2015 at 6:17pm
An overheat at idle is still all but guaranteed to be an air leak. There are more opportunities in a dual impeller Chrysler than most. Hose condition can be a contributor as well, and no, I would not expect an air leak to show up as a water leak with the engine off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic