Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Supreme Knowledge base?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Larry,
I'm sorry you feel that way about me. Yes, sometimes when needed I can be on the abrupt side. A good example would be when someone posts a dangerous situation with say using auto parts. Other times I feel it's just a communication problem. It can be real difficult to express feelings/emotions in the written word and I'm by no means an expert with it. Thankfully someone came up with the great idea with the "emocicons" and I try to use them whenever I can.

I understand what you mean, however, when you refer to someone as a "DA" (Hard to Start thread) there isn't much room for misunderstanding. By all means, if someone recommends something dangerous, throw in your 2 cents. But insulating the fuel line is by no means dangerous and has a relatively good history of success. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I got thick skin, I was just simply pointing out my observation about your attitude on this forum in general while defending my reasoning and experience with the matter.

FWIW I haven't had a single problem starting a hot engine since.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by surroundsound64 surroundsound64 wrote:

Larry,
I'm sorry you feel that way about me. Yes, sometimes when needed I can be on the abrupt side. A good example would be when someone posts a dangerous situation with say using auto parts. Other times I feel it's just a communication problem. It can be real difficult to express feelings/emotions in the written word and I'm by no means an expert with it. Thankfully someone came up with the great idea with the "emocicons" and I try to use them whenever I can.

I understand what you mean, however, when you refer to someone as a "DA" (Hard to Start thread) there isn't much room for misunderstanding. By all means, if someone recommends something dangerous, throw in your 2 cents. But insulating the fuel line is by no means dangerous and has a relatively good history of success. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I got thick skin, I was just simply pointing out my observation about your attitude on this forum in general while defending my reasoning and experience with the matter.

FWIW I haven't had a single problem starting a hot engine since.

Well, Larry here's where the communication/misunderstanding/misreading came to play. The "DA" comment was directed to the Malibu owner!!    We all love to give boat owners of brands other than CC's a hard time!!

Once again, I'm sorry you feel I have an attitude problem and am glad the solution to you vapor lock worked out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 10:42pm
I hesitate to comment as I hate to further hijack the thread, but.... I realize your comment was directed towards the other boat owner, but my point still stands as to your attitude towards that.

Anyway, glad we talk about it. Not hard feelings. And I'm done hijacking.

Later.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 10:50pm

We all love to give boat owners of brands other than CC's a hard time!!

Funny...on another inboard site, they don't really care about fanboi brand associations and just celebrate the love of inboards/skiing/wakeboarding/etc.

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 11:50pm
Amazing how much feedback there is about other 80's brand inboards having better slalom wakes than Correct Craft. No doubt, Correct Craft is the better quality boat, but the wake wasn't too kind to the average skier. Maybe 36MPH at 38 off is a different story.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2011 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Amazing how much feedback there is about other 80's brand inboards having better slalom wakes than Correct Craft. No doubt, Correct Craft is the better quality boat, but the wake wasn't too kind to the average skier. Maybe 36MPH at 38 off is a different story.

No kidding. A friend of mine's dad had a ski centurion with a 200hp (I think?) Johnson back when we were in highschool that had a WAY better ski wake than mine. Just wouldn't track worth a darn.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

mrwillya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrwillya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 6:45pm
I finally got around to swapping out the props. I ended up going with an ACME 543 per ACME's recommendation. I'll be taking that out this weekend with mdvalant on the Mississippi.

Over the winter I did quite a bit with this boat. The major fix was correcting a deck/hull separation. There was about a 1/4-1/2 gap all the way around the front half of the boat. Apparently the schmucks before me hit something, then attempted a half-a$$ed fix with tiny rivets and caulk. I raised the deck to the proper level (it was sagging about 1/2 inch), riveted every 6 or less inches with wider/longer rivets. Then replaced the plastic in the rub rail, since the old one felt like a self-defense weapon.

Also added those beautiful registration decals.

One of my favorite upgrades had to be the LED trailer lighting!

The platform also turned out pretty nice.

I also did a BUNCH of other stuff, I'll have to list that later. And yes, I'm attempting to keep it semi-OEM.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by mrwillya mrwillya wrote:

Over the winter I did quite a bit done with this boat over the winter.

Looking good... I always liked the looks of the 80's Supremes.
mrwillya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrwillya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by mrwillya mrwillya wrote:

Over the winter I did quite a bit done with this boat over the winter.

Looking good... I always liked the looks of the 80's Supremes.

Happy now? I got a little too excited to get my pics out there!! =)
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2012 at 2:56pm
Good looking boat. When looking at the LED lights picture, for a second I thought you were using shelving as a swim platform .
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2012 at 3:47pm
Supremes are very cool boats. My uncle has had an 87 for about 10 years now just as good as my correct craft but interior is lacking as far as correct craft quality goes.

Two of my good friends from our local ski club have flip flop 86 and 87 supremes one is dark with light stripes one is light with dark stripes.

The fellow that ownes the 87(both were purchased new) had to make a late night trip to the supreme factory when he bough his because supremes assets were being seized and his boat was a pre pay order. Needless to say he had to pull it out of the factory himself before midnight that night or it and his money was gone pretty crazy story. Both boats look like the just rolled out of the factory to this day.
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 12:06am
GREAT SKI BOAT-I bought a new '83 Ski Supreme after selling my '80 Ski Nautique.The Supreme wake was FLAT compared to the Nautique,and performed great-BUT the Nautique had more pulling power-I did 12 deep water start combo(2) skiis regularly for our lakes ski show.The Supreme could not duplicate it. Good luck
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
supremefun88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremefun88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 12:05pm
You seem to know something about vintage ski supreme boats. I just bought my first boat, an '88 Ski Supreme with a Ford 351/240 engine. My hole shot is pretty bad with a 13x13L 3-prop blade. Out of the hole it loses power and squats. If I finesse the throttle I can get past it but it's hard on a skier! My sense is a prop mismatch. I want to get an official prop recommendation from H & H Propeller out here in Salem, MA but they need engine specs like rated max RPM and transmission gear ratios and stuff that I have no clue about. Do you know or can recommend anyone who knows about this engine? Also, any thoughts you may have on my issue would be welcomed. Thanks!
SupremeFun88

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremefun88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 12:40pm
Correction it's a Ford Commander 351/260 Marine engine with a Velvet Drive 1:1 ratio according to tag.
SupremeFun88
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 12:42pm
Hi
Your sense may not be quite right.

The prop you describe a 13x13 LH 3 blade would be the original prop and unless it's really beat up it's not gonna be the source of your bad acceleration.

Your "finessing of the throttle" doesn't tell much about what you're experiencing but
I'd start looking at carburetor or ignition issues before buying a new prop.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 11:27pm
^^^yep. Ken's right on the money as usual.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 4:21am
First, sad to see some attitudes flying in this thread. That normally is not part of this forum and it is appreciated not to be a part.
I have seen so many examples of guys jumping in to help a boater get back on the water on this forum and even those that don't support Correct Craft have received very valuable help totally free. The only thing I am aware of as a group is the normal request. Show Pictures and when you can offer advice that may help the next guy/gal.

What was overlooked on this thread is the extremely dangerous situation this new boater is in.
He told us he has a Fuel Leak and he is still using this boat.   PARK IT AND FIX the stinking fuel leak please before you blow up.
Sorry but I know of 2 people killed due to fuel leaks in boats.
ALWAYS run your vent fan to clear vapors as instructed and Ski and boat safe.
I turn my blower on before starting and let it vent and keep it running the whole time I have the engine running and between ski runs. They say this is not necessary as soon as the boat is over 10 mph but over 10 mph you can't hear it and when you slow down you might forget to turn it back on. Why risk it. New fans are cheap if you wear it out and not hard to replace. Being dead lasts a long time and you might take others out with you.

I skied the Ski Supreme with buddies for a few years. I still owned my 78 Nautique which is known for a really large wake at anything longer than 28 off. The Supreme reminded me of my 78 a lot but had a better ski wake. Sounded exactly the same when skiing and riding in the boat.   I do not recall if it turned as well but it was a good boat for sure. Two of my ski buddies bought Identical Ski Supremes, same color in and out within a week of each other without discussing this or sharing what they might do.
Really funny to see them both show up with identical boats.
These are light boats, if cruising is the goal not hard core skiing consider a 13x14 prop.
I had one on my 78 and it worked really well with it. At 3,000 RPM it was at 34 MPH.
I could barefoot at 3,600. My buddy with a 1983 Nautique liked to One Foot Barefoot fast, 44-46 MPH and his boat would not do that. Our old 78 with the 13x14 could do it easy. Topped out around 53 MPH.   Worked for us and still could pull 4 slalom skiers in a deep water starts at once if they were willing to drag just a little. I never wanted a better prop in that boat.
Nice Supreme, enjoy it!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 9:21am
[QUOTE=MrMcD] First, sad to see some attitudes flying in this thread. /QUOTE]

Mark

You really should look at the dates on posts.

Your reference to attitudes happened back in 2011 and a brand new poster dug that thread up and revived it with a new question about a bad running boat he just bought..

The good looking Supreme was back in 2012 .

The fuel leak was in 2011 too

KenO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 9:21am
Mark, may want to check the post dates... Most are 4+ years old.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremefun88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 10:13am
Thanks, everybody, for your replies. Yeah, I tagged onto an old post. Back to my issue...
The reason I think it could be a prop mismatch issue is the symptoms feel like what I've read from ventilation and cavitation problems. Certainly, I will look into the ignition and carb suggestions. But, the engine seems to be running fine. When I hole shot hard, the boat feels like it's not grabbing the water. The RPMs definitely spike when this happens, and the boat sort of squats in the water, but then I back off on the throttle and get through it. Once the boat planes out, it runs and rides fine. I just have to start slow and the excessive dragging is hard on a skier. Attached is an image of my prop. Note the abrasion/scoring on the blades. Has me thinking a cavitation problem?

SupremeFun88
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 11:02am
Do you get a loud groaning noise and some shaking, then you let up and feather it and things are OK?

Check your transmission fluid, it could be low and/or have a burn't smell to it.

If it smells burnt, that's never a good thing since the internal clutch plates are probably toast.

If it's low, fill it with Dex 3 type ATF and see what happens

A prop that looks like yours will be OK, that's not gonna cause cavitation on takeoff
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 12:03pm
Oh Well, it was new to me. I will try and look at dates in the future.
The picture could be a result of cavitation. Have you ever seen this in Diesel Engine cylinder walls? It can make a coolant leak in the engine by blowing off the metal in the cylinder wall.   When you examine them after the failure they look like that prop.
Vibration can make bubbles in the water that explode off the metal and take small bites of the metal with it. I don't know what else might cause those marks on a prop in that area.
I have never heard of or seen a prop do that but look how consistent those two area's are.
The damage does look like what I see in cylinder walls.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremefun88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 12:30pm
Yeah, the marks are remarkably symmetrical. The pic doesn't show the third blade but there's another abrasion in exactly the same spot on that blade too. I will figure this out!
SupremeFun88
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 1:50pm
I have a prop that looks just like that.

It doesn't cavitate, it's a prop with a lot of hours on it.

I'd take a picture but it's underwater hanging off the boat and it works good.

KenO

PS Supremefun 88 Check your PM inbox
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 7:00pm
Pete,
Just like Ken, I too have a prop with the cavitation erosion on it plus, have seen it on others props. I wouldn't worry about it. Erosion of the hull around the prop and sometimes the rudder can also occur and commonly called "hull rash". When it's around the prop, the typical cause is running to large a diameter prop so there's not enough clearance to the hull.

This morning when I saw your hole shot issue, my first thought like Kens was trans. Do check the fluid level and smell as he recommended.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2016 at 10:06am
Thought I'd update this thread concerning supremefun88's issue.

It turns out that we live about 15 minutes away from each other, so we took a ride in his boat so we could experience his issue first hand.

It was transmission slippage on take off due to not having enough fluid in the transmission .No burnt smell so we added some fluid and..........no more slippage.

He's got a number of hours on it since with no issues.

I'm sure that every time it slipped it shortened the life of the trans by some unknown amount, but he'll get plenty of use out of it as it is now..

Funny part is, nothing is leaking,out of it so maybe whoever he bought it from got part way through a fluid change and got sidetracked or something. Nothing in that pretty white bilge after a few weeks.

It's a very well preserved 88 Supreme especially since it has no wood in the stringers to go along with that pretty white bilge.

he's having some supremefun with it   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic