NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slalom Technique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2009 at 4:22pm
oh, someday...

We expect a full report when you get back!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2009 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I often end up looking like Terry althoguh I'm trying to ski like Chris...

Haha, I'm with you here. It's always depressing to see the pictures of yourself skiing. Your perception of the way you think you're skiing changes dramatically.

...Maybe when people tell me to get my hips up I'm just going to start telling them I'm a West Coast practitioner .
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2009 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I often end up looking like Terry althoguh I'm trying to ski like Chris...

...Maybe when people tell me to get my hips up I'm just going to start telling them I'm a West Coast practitioner .

I do the coast to coast technique......fisrt three balls East coast, last three balls west coast!
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2009 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

www.skiparadise.com
I am heading here next month! Somehow, someway, I talked the wife into it.

That looks great! Acapulco or Spain?
Fatboy206 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatboy206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 3:34am
My next question has to do with double bindings. I just purchased a NEW ski with double bindings (a 2008 HO 71), first ski as I mentioned before was a Connelly Big Daddy (learner, now skiing for one year).With left foot forward, what's the easisest way to put the ski on, left into the boot first or right? Just asking because when I get onto my boarding platform and get kitted up it would be nice if I could avoid falling over first time out on my new ski and making a bigger fool of myself than I already am? Also would you or could you adjust the bindings because I imagine the back foot has a tendancy to open outwards unless I was pidgeon toe'd.
Thanks for a great site, great help never came so cheap!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 11:54am
I have double boots, and I put my front foot in first, lock it down, then put the back foot in. I do this all sitting on the transom with the ski on the platform. Then I simply slide off the transom down onto the platform, then into the water.

As far as angling the back binding, at least on my bindings (Connelly Drafts) you can loosen the rear binding and adjust it slightly so that it will point left/right. You bindings may not have that capability, however you could probably drill new holes in the binding plate if you absolutely wanting to modify it.

You can see in this picture how the mounting holes are slotted and allow a little bit of adjustment.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 12:02pm
I put the the back foor in first, works best for me.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 12:03pm
Acapulca! I will take some photos. I am trying to keep skiing until I go but its getting cooler every day!
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2009 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Fatboy206 Fatboy206 wrote:

My next question has to do with double bindings. I just purchased a NEW ski with double bindings (a 2008 HO 71), first ski as I mentioned before was a Connelly Big Daddy (learner, now skiing for one year).With left foot forward, what's the easisest way to put the ski on, left into the boot first or right? Just asking because when I get onto my boarding platform and get kitted up it would be nice if I could avoid falling over first time out on my new ski and making a bigger fool of myself than I already am? Also would you or could you adjust the bindings because I imagine the back foot has a tendancy to open outwards unless I was pidgeon toe'd.
Thanks for a great site, great help never came so cheap!

I am a bit old school, and still use Wiley's double wraps (best rubber out there), and i am not familiar with the new bindings. I have to use some dish soap to slip into my bindings, and I always put the front foot in first....just the way i have done it for 35 years. Damn thats a long time!
I would learn to ski on it before I made any significant adjustments to the angle of the rear boot. Getting up with double boots for the first time wil be weird. Keep your back knee tucked in or it will grab water and your foot cant slip to compensate.
Not sure about you guys, but, these new long bathing suits are a pain when they catch water getting up...makes me feel like I an anchor tied to my butt. The wife says they look better than my 1985 addidas tennis shorts!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2009 at 11:23am
Just a personal preference but I put my rear foot in first as thats always been my dominant (strong) leg, easier for me to balance on the platform then especially if the boats rocking. Just switched to that this summer and it's easier for me.

Going back way to the beginning of the thread the best advice I got was at Bennett's this spring and that was to stop pulling at the second wake, like most have stated I was carrying way too much speed into the turn and going slack, remarkable improvement in my skiing this summer. I'm having fun, feel nice and smooth and not working half as hard at it.

As for style, I understand the concepts of both but after 30 years of slalom I just can't retrain my body to the newer style. Heck,I've been trying to switch my grip all summer and that alone has been a challenge, just doesn't feel right yet.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2009 at 1:53pm
"I often end up looking like Terry althoguh I'm trying to ski like Chris..."

Ha! I'm the opposite...I'm trying to convert to new school but keep falling back to old school.

Slalom is so complex, its hard to diagnose anything without seeing, but a couple of very simple things I've found to help with the rope slack issue...
One is that you can exaggerate straightening your rope arm as you initiate your turn. I often see people with partially bent arms. If you're doing this you aren't fully transitioning the ski. Throw your arm towards the pylon.
Two is, make sure you're keeping your head up. For me, the difference between a good and bad day is often where my head and eyes are looking. To train yourself to keep your head up and eyes focused, look at the pylon as you turn.

Also, for free skiing, most people I ski with have made quantum leaps by shortening the line length. Don't be afraid of 28 off. The wake is a single, non-existent bump (even in older boats). It helps keep you from double pulling (pulling outside the wake) too. You don't have to pull like Parrish, but you can get a slow, simple, correct rhythm going. Of course, to ski the course you'll have to go back to a longer line, but by that time, hopefully you've got better form and rhythm. To have a nice free ski run, you don't have to get way out wide. That comes from pulling harder and harder through the wakes which is a whole other thread!

Double wraps...I want both feet coming out or neither. But when I was young and skied my best, I was only a front wrap.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 12:55pm
My biggest problem is leaning back instead of away when crossing the wake:

leads to this:

this is a bit better

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 1:04pm
Well, nobody certainly can say you aren't aggressive enough out there!
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 3:33pm
Still, in the first pic it looks like you just rounded the 5 ball. Who does have good form by then? :)
They are interesting pics. The water is breaking at your front heel in the first, and at your toes in the third. Seems like a little, but it leads to much more angle. Nice cuts though.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 3:51pm
I see what you mean, I didnt notice that. Those pics were from my first time out on the course. I have been out once or twice a week for several weeks since then. Growing up skiing, I always leaned back (never away), and it is a hard habit to break at 43yo! Turns are fine, its going across the wake that is killing me. I really thought I could ski, until someone put some bouys in front of me! Very humbling, and addictive. I dont know what I am going to do over the winter.
My best so far was 4 balls 32 off at 32mph. I feel certain i can get 32 off, if I dont wait until my last run to try it! I cant imagine 39 off at 36mph!
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 9:57pm
I see that you are looking toward the boat on your pull. I personally look across the course (but not at the balls!) which really increases my angle, and helps me finish my turns crisply. Earlier in the thread I mentioned head up and looking at the pylon, but that was to break looking down, over, up, whatever, generally not recognizing the importance of the eyes. For me, at the end of the turn, I look across course. After the wake, during setup for the turn, I look down course, arm extended, then, rounding the ball, I look across again, trying to look way behind the ball.

That split second after the turn is where you can lose everything you're working for in terms of being early next ball. A good turn finish for me keeps my angle and therefore my time, and I my pull is better than my turn, so I can usually increase my pull through the wake giving me good distance and some time to get setup for the next turn.

I'm certainly no coach though. In fact, I hardly ever ski the course anymore with two little kids and very little free time. But when I do, or when I did, these worked for me. 4 @ 32/ 32 is pretty darn good though, especially so early in your addiction.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 11:43am
Dip, keeping my eyes on the bank is one of the things I have been working hard on. On sunday I went out and did some open water skiing, and all I did was practice crossing the wake keeping my head turned away from the boat. It really makes a difference. Now, if I remember to do it after the first ball!

I know what you mean about finding time. I have three kids 13,11, and 5. I have spent my share of time teaching kids to ski! Finally, getting a bit of a break. Your second wind is just around the corner! Enjoy the kids, as they grow up fast. No tubing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic