Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wringing out my boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
newoldboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2009 at 12:59am
I know everyone has a strong opinion on whether to foam or not but I believe that the main cause of rot in these boats is poor maintenance and a lack of good craftsmanship from the factory. Lets face it guys, we are not building fishing boats that we have to rinse fish guts off of. Fishing boats are built so you can dump buckets of water on the deck and it will drain down to the bilge. These are ski boats with carpet and uppolstry. They are not made to get wet and then be covered up until the next time you use it. My boat had leaves and pine needles and was obviously left out in the rain by the previous owner. These boats have sports car engines and proformance, Would you leave your convertible sports car out in the rain? I know all of the people on this site take meticulous care of their boats but that doesn't mean that the owner before you did. I am going to try to build mine better than CC did WITH FOAM and then take good care of it. I am confident that it will last another 20 years. I'm sure that by the time my boat rots again we will all be griping about the problems we are having with the used 2015 Super Air Nautiques we now own.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2009 at 2:39am
Havent seen much of this thread for some reason, but to answer an early question, the foam in my 83 was closed cell and while it does much better than open cell that was in my 67 it will hold a layer of water against the stringers if exposed to water. Even in a very well taken care of boat the area around the front seats, cooler, and battery box was a chance for infiltration. My 83 had low hours and showed every indication of having been very well taken care of but the wood was shot.

IMHO you could do this job with poly resin and if you take care of it it will last a good while, you can do it with vinyl resin it will last longer and be stronger, epoxy will last longer stick better than either. But for my money even if they all performed the same I would pay quite a bit more for the epoxy just because it is easier to work with. It sands nicer, no fumes to speak of, easy to mix reliably, etc. If the vinyl cost the same as the epoxy its a no brainer go epoxy.

Seperating floors and stress cracks... I wonder if some of this isnt caused by water in the foam freezing and expanding, hard to ever know for sure but it sure looks like if could cause the cracks and the floor seperation. To me even if water in the foam is kept away from the wood and the wood doesnt rot which is likely with most of the jobs I see on this site.. I don't want water in my foam and since I do pour buckets (or at least parachutes full) of water in my boat then cover it up till the next time I use it. That's why I didn't put any foam back in it, if you treat your boat better I wouldnt worry about it. Just some thoughts..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by newoldboat newoldboat wrote:

I'm sure that by the time my boat rots again we will all be griping about the problems we are having with the used 2015 Super Air Nautiques we now own.

Good point. I definitely spend too much time fussing over details. Sometimes a little reality check is in order. I do take good care of my stuff. Even if I built it exactly as the factory did and kept it another 20 years, there's no way it would be in the shape it is today.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

IMHO you could do this job with poly resin and if you take care of it it will last a good while, you can do it with vinyl resin it will last longer and be stronger, epoxy will last longer stick better than either. But for my money even if they all performed the same I would pay quite a bit more for the epoxy just because it is easier to work with. It sands nicer, no fumes to speak of, easy to mix reliably, etc. If the vinyl cost the same as the epoxy its a no brainer go epoxy.

One thing I've been gathering is that even within resin types, there are many differences. It also seems that opinions differ on which is easier to work with. The vinyl is significantly less expensive than poly. Being my first crack at this, I expect to waste some, if not a lot, so I'm going to give vinyl a shot. According to my fiberglass supplier, this blend isn't too difficult to sand either. I don't really see a significant downside to the vinyl. I'll report back on that of course once I get into it. I've been known to change my mind.

Question for you guys. Is it neccessary to grind all the way down to the hull or is it ok to leave a bit of the glass from the stringers? I was hoping to leave just a groove to help place the new stringer...

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 10:44pm

But for my money even if they all performed the same I would pay quite a bit more for the epoxy just because it is easier to work with. It sands nicer, no fumes to speak of, easy to mix reliably, etc. If the vinyl cost the same as the epoxy its a no brainer go epoxy.

I totally agree; and Joe and I have used 2 out of three...he may have used vinyl as well.

I've had to use poly where gel is going on after, and epoxy is miles easier to use.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 11:50am

Seperating floors and stress cracks... I wonder if some of this isnt caused by water in the foam freezing and expanding, hard to ever know for sure but it sure looks like if could cause the cracks and the floor seperation.

Joe,
I think this is how my one secondary stringer developed a split in the fiberglass, which in turn accelerated the rot. My theory is that the foam became saturated and in time so did the wood in the stringers. The secondaries took the brunt because they were exposed in many places. The water froze and expanded cracking the glass around the stringer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by ryanowen ryanowen wrote:

Question for you guys. Is it neccessary to grind all the way down to the hull or is it ok to leave a bit of the glass from the stringers? I was hoping to leave just a groove to help place the new stringer...

Nope, not a problem at all- I found that leaving the bottom 1/8-1/4" of the original stringer gave me a nice way to place the new ones in the same spot.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Nope, not a problem at all- I found that leaving the bottom 1/8-1/4" of the original stringer gave me a nice way to place the new ones in the same spot.

Great news! That'll make things easier to install plus keep the dust to garage ratio down!

Here are some more pics...

This first one is evidence of rot repair by the previous owner. I guess when I asked him if he was aware of any stringer issues he probably lied. Shocking.

Old vs. new secondary. You can see very consistently where the old stringer was having the most trouble. The exposed areas are all darker and more rot infested. BTW, that old stringer weighs a ton.

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 3:02pm
Wow.. I wish my old stringers looked that good when I took them out.. I do not think that any my 10 pieces of stringer looked that good.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Wow.. I wish my old stringers looked that good when I took them out.. I do not think that any my 10 pieces of stringer looked that good.

The worst of it was on the boards stacked against that secondary. The mains are in remarkably good shape. With as much trouble as I've been having finding good 2x8s in 14 ft, it's awfully tempting to leave them in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 12:30am
your old stringers do look very good compared to my old stringers. I hate to harp on the foam issue but my foam was completely soaked but my stringers only rotted where there were fasteners. It seems like CC just beat nails in to hold the plywood and horizontal supports and didn't seal them. I was looking at my old stringers the other day to see how many layers they had on them. They appear to only have two layers that held them in and maybe four layers for the floor. I peeled off the glass from the old wood and it looked like brand new fir. They are only rotted where fasteners punctured the glass and weren't sealed. I think no matter which method we use if we seal the fastener holes the stringer will last much longer. I have used 6-8 yards of mat and four gallons of resin just glassing the stringers in. This project is getting expensive but i'm sure it will be worth it. I'm thinking about having MONEY PIT lettered on my boat.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 12:47am

I'm thinking about having MONEY PIT lettered on my boat.

in fact that's what they are... but at least they are enjoyable once some of the troubles are solved...then you start again
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 1:53am
Has anyone else started to think that their shop vac may be the most important tool involved in stringer repair? I started this project using my old shop vac. As I sucked up all the fiberglass dust in my boat my vac managed to blow all the dust out of the exhaust and into even harder to reach places. I finally broke down and bought a new one with a good filter system from Home Depot and I think it may be the most effective tool I am using on this project. So far my boat has managed to burn up a jig saw, disgraced my shop vac, and just tonight it killed my 4 1/2" grinder. Can we get a moment of silence for all the tools lost for our cause?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 9:55am

bought a new one with a good filter system from Home Depot So far my boat has managed to burn up a jig saw, disgraced my shop vac, and just tonight it killed my 4 1/2" grinder. Can we get a moment of silence for all the tools lost for our cause?

Joe,
You'd better start buying decent tools and not the "homeowner" quality at Home Depot - junk. Buy good tools and they will last! Milwaukee and then Porter Cable.

My Rockwell/Delta (now Porter Cable)4x24 portable belt sander's switch gave up on me Monday. It's the only problem I've had since my dad gave it to me as a birthday gift. That was when I was a freshman in high school - 43 years ago!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 11:13am
Metabo makes the best grinder on the market.

But you should still stop once and a while and blow the dust out of the vents for the motor to help keep it cool.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 11:31am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Metabo makes the best grinder on the market.

Back up your statement!

We've been running truck frame parts here at the plant for 6 years. They require secondary hand touch up grinding so I have first hand experience with 4&1/2" right angle grinders. They run almost continuosly for 16 hour days. At any given time we may have 5 grinders running at presses. We've been through all of them including Metabo's. Tried the $40 throw-aways to the $110 Milwaukee's. The service life of the Milwaukee far exceeds the "economics" of cheap grinders. The Metabo falls into the cheap catagory!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 12:02pm

Has anyone else started to think that their shop vac may be the most important tool involved in stringer repair?

Had to laugh when I saw this. I've been trying to keep up with the dust as much as possible. I wasn't going to post this pic, but your comment has forced me to. I decided to try and kill this vac I've had since college by using it exclusively in my garage. My thoughts were that when it finally dies I'll get a nice new shop vac. That was two years ago and it's still working great. If this grinding project doesn't kill it, I'm going to write a letter to Hoover and have this thing gold plated.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 12:04pm
De walt tools are the best you can buy down here..BD was good also but now its all chinese, and bosch you have to cross your fingers...My gringer is also a cheapo!! but for the use I give to it its fine,
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2009 at 8:40pm
For grinders, it helps motor life to blow the fiberglass dust out of the brushes with the air nozzle once in a while.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 3:30pm
Back from the dead. I'm resurrecting my project topic because things are finally moving forward again. I lost about 4 weeks to a pretty serious knee problem. I was able to get some of the interior skins done, but I couldn't work inside the hull for quite a while.

New secondaries are done and bedded in. I cut away quite a bit of glass to inspect the primaries and was very happy to find that they are in great shape, so my lumber troubles aren't going to be an issue. I was originally thinking about wrapping the primary stringers once more, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to remove all the bilge paint to do it. Either way, I'm working on the bulkhead tonight. With some luck, I'll be glassing stringers this weekend and ready for foam next week.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 5:47pm
As you where so nice to be the first one to comment on my "little pieces of wood"-topic, I'll rekindle this topic too, bacause you got my attention on this one...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

As you where so nice to be the first one to comment on my "little pieces of wood"-topic, I'll rekindle this topic too, bacause you got my attention on this one...

Glad to help. If you need some specific pics of anything, let me know. I've taken quite a few just so I remembered how to put things back together.

I've set aside the weekend to try and hit this project pretty hard. All the foam is in and the floor is covered in glass. I'm going to be reinforcing some of the floor areas that get the most traffic and also glassing the drivers seat base in next. I'll try to get some of my new pics up after this weekend to update my thread.

I ended up ordering a dripless seal just because I'd really like to keep this boat as dry as possible after all the work I've done (and still need to do).

If anyone is wondering about vinyl-ester, it's been pretty nice to work with so far. I don't have anything to compare it against really, but it seems fast and very consistent. The fumes aren't terrible, but I still wear a resipirator. I've been working with about 20 ounces at a time and I'll usually get 3 or 4 cups ready. Grab a 20, toss the MEK in, mix it up, glop away, grab another 20 and repeat.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2009 at 1:48pm
Didn't have as much time as I'd hoped, but I did manage to get an extra layer down on the floor for good measure and also went through and ground down some rough spots. Drivers seat base is partially fixed. I also got it off the blocks and back on the trailer. Before I lifted it off the blocks, I took the opportunity to wet sand and wheel out the bottom too. I still can't get comfortable hanging this thing from lift rings. My premiums are up to date though...
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 12:53pm
Back from the dead (again). Miraculously, after reconnecting everything, the boat started right up. I'm still shocked by this. I thought for sure I would have missed some critical connection somewhere.

Carpet is going in. Hoping to get some of the seat bases installed soon. I ended up fiberglassing the driver seat base to the floor. This was one of the worst spots for rot in my boat. Shouldn't be a problem in the future.

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 2:02pm
Looking good!

Fwiw, I pulled almost all of my foam when I did my floor rebuild in 2002 and am relying on the resin encased plywood to keep flotation if need be.

I used poly on the boat, but I have used epoxy resin on a plywood and glass fish tank. The epoxy is a lot easier to use, and not really smelly at all, unlike the poly resin.

You will have it out on the water very soon now.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 2:04pm
Looking good!! Has to feel amazing to have the whole thing back together!

I've always wondered...... is it a bad thing to wrap the carpet down the side of the secondaries? Seems like it would hold water there...maybe it wouldn't cause rot, but some mildew and such?
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Looking good!! Has to feel amazing to have the whole thing back together!

I've always wondered...... is it a bad thing to wrap the carpet down the side of the secondaries? Seems like it would hold water there...maybe it wouldn't cause rot, but some mildew and such?

I don't plan on leaving them that way. I left them big but will go back tonight to trim all around. I was thinking about leaving an inch or so wrap around where the removable piece goes and trimming to the edge for the rest. I don't think I'll be using the black edging on the removable piece either. I've seem some others on here that didn't put it back and I like how it looks.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

I used poly on the boat, but I have used epoxy resin on a plywood and glass fish tank. The epoxy is a lot easier to use, and not really smelly at all, unlike the poly resin.

You will have it out on the water very soon now.

I sure hope so. I'm super anxious to get it on the water again.

The vinyl-ester fumes weren't too bad and even for a beginner, I found it easy to work with. I did use some pre-mixed poly based compound that the local fiberglass shop calls "gunk". It worked great for bedding, fillets and to repair my driver seat base. That stuff put out some crazy fumes.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 12:12pm
Here's how close of a match that Bayshore Marine carpet is to the original. The price on it was pretty good from perfectfit.com if anyone is considering new carpet. 12 yards shipped to my door for 260.

Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 9:09pm
Looking really good. What's your estimated time to complete and be on the water?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic