Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting 87 SN Floor/Stinger Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 11>
Author
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 1:51pm
http://66.77.200.232/images/company_a$$ets/512F1C7F-0D64-4A5E-9D91-785DC064755F/16cf4_Adv_of_Epoxy_v_Poly.pdf

I went and checked out the differences in epoxy vs polyester. Is the difference that big of a deal when used in a project like this. Or will polyester resin sufface in a 25 year marine environment.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 8:21am
leo0648
27 years combined service, I am a civilian that works in the composite materials lab at Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station NC.
   Polyester is fine, easier to work with,the cure can be ajusted with the amount of hardener.Pick a resin system and stick with it.
Somewhere back in this post is my work # it won't hurt to re read if you want to give me a call.6:30-1500 eastern time.
Skibum
I know you cut your own trail on the 87.Your perseverance is without question. Most of the time I imagine a completed part in my mind's eye;then when I see what my human hands can do I'm a little disapointed with my skill.(Don't be so hard on yourself)
If you,David F and myself could collaborate on a how-to reference the CCF guy's could really use it.
Army = I'll sleep when I'm dead !
Marines = Sleep is for the weak !
Air Force = I don't want to get up!

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 12:12am
oo-rah is the marines waterdog, or are you a marine?

I believe you meant to say hoo ah.

Would anyone recomend using polyester fibergla$$ resin instead of epoxy for this job to stop the risk of the amine blush not causing a good bond?

I know epoxy is stronger, but the whole amine blush thing sounds like it adds a whole new factor to the process.

Any down sides to polyester resing besides strength?
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:58pm
According to the user manual from West Systems,amine blush is water soluable and should be removed with clean water and an abrasive pad (scotch-brite)then dried with paper towels. Or you can wet-sand and then dry with paper towels.The important thing is to wipe up the dissolved amine blush before it can dry on the surface again. Farmer
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:42pm
DISCLAIMER:

Probably should have put this out sooner. But I never was good at order.

I learned what I know from this site. Thought it might be of some use for other people to actually see what the inside of a boat looks like. Probably doing a lot of things wrong. That's what I do. Know more now than I did when I started. Learned the hard way. Now, you don't have to.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Do you remember the weight of the 2 by 8 fir main stringers (1 ea. ) Thanks

I never actually weighed the 2"x8". I can tell you that even with gla$$ on the sides the old stringer was still 3 times the weight of the new ones. I started with a 16ft long 2"x8". By the time it was all carved out it is probably the same weight as an 8ft board (just a wild guess).
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:33pm

Spent several hours grinding, scraping, and sanding the bilge to remove the remaining vinyl ester resin. Thought I would never get the bilge back in shape. Once I vacuumed all the gunk and dust out of the bilge used acetone all over the bilge. Mixed up epoxy resin, white pigment, aerosol cabosil, and 3M Gla$$ bubbles. Put the first layer in the bilge. Once cured it will get sanded and another layer. Even though I do not need a gla$$ like finish in the bilge, I am going to try to make it turn out that way. Just stubborn like that. The 1/2" plywood removable floor now has four layers of gla$$ with epoxy resin. Both the top and bottom have epoxy mat covered with 10oz gla$$. The bottom has white pigment in the epoxy because I am going to try to make it smooth and shiny too. I will go back to the front floor area and install a brace that connects to the stringers. I still have to tie in the inside of the floor and stringer under that area. On the bottom of the removable floor in the rear I'll add a brace as well. There is still a brace that goes between the main stringers in the back - still need to put it in.
Bill
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 8:18pm
Brian,

learn something new everyday, i thought Amine Blush was a new wine from your neck of the woods.

Your right though, do the work yourself.I'm self taught with everything I do on my boat. Sometimes I do things twice but when I get a compliment it feels twice as good.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 6:21pm
There are a lot of factors in amine blush. Sometimes it's there and you can't see or feel it but like David F said it must be removed. We use heat lamps to warm the epoxy to about 100* f to minimize it. Most of our repair recipes for room temp epoxy cures call for 1 hour @ room temp then 1.5 hours @ 150*f to avoid amine blush. Bagging the area with a small tarp and a heat lamp works well.Don't use a petroleum fired heater the so2 in the exhaust is a factor in amine blush. If you use an epoxy system and plan on gel coat top coat acetone/sand/acetone/sand/acetone & it should stick OK.
If you use polyester or vinylester resin in the bilge the styrene that out gases is heavier that air and sort of sits on top of the resin inhibiting the cure so use a fan just strong enough to move the air.
Skibum - oo rah !!!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 5:18pm
Thanks,

Don't get much humidity here in CA. I was considering having one of the local guys shoot the gel. But, since I bought a project to learn how to do these things, I'm now giving consideration to taking a stab at the gel as well. We'll see how it goes when I finish the stringers. Hopefully it turns out as well ask Ski Bum's project. BKH
Livin' the Dream

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 4:52pm
Well, yes and no. Gelcoat is cosmetic and thus a strong mechanical bond is not as critical. But, yes the bond between gelcoat and epoxy resin is not all that great IMHO. To date, I have not had any issue in this regard.

To remove the Amine Blush I first wipe the cured epoxy well with Acetone...several times. I then grind or sand out with 36 grit paper. It is important to wipe with Acetone first, otherwise you simply sand the Amine Blush into the epoxy. Acetone is all that is really needed to remove the Amine Blush. If the epoxy is not fully cured (i.e several days, then it WILL interfer with the curing of gelcoat...again from my observations.

I had good result in using Bondo for the final fairing of my repairs. The Bondo had zero curing issues and since Bondo is Polyester resin putty, the gelcoat had zero curing issues. But, since the Bondo was just in "spots", that is really a moot point.

Sometimes, when spraying gelcoat in small areas, it simply would not cure. The gods conspired against me. No worries, just wiped off with Acetone and tried again. I never really could tell what the main cause was, but suspect humidity.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 4:43pm
David,

Does this mean that gelcoat (a polyester) will not stick to the epoxy?

If you don't get back to the project for 24 hours, what do you use to remove the amine blush?

I've been reading the book on fibergla$$ repair, but until you've done it, you just don't remember everything.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 4:24pm
I cannot believe this is the first day I have seen this post. I read all through SkiBums' posts and must say I am very impressed with the hard work and dedication (I know what have gone through). The end result looks fantastic and I know will last basically forever. From my experiences, I would like to make a few comments (though they really do not matter to this project, but be of use to others). In no particular order.

1. Polyester or vinylester resin should not be used after epoxy is used. Start with poly or vinyl and stick with it. Once epoxy is used, stick with it (no pun intended). Epoxy is a far superior "glue" and basically that is what is happening on repairs...a mechanical bond rather than a chemical bond.

2. When using epoxy, you have about 24 hours to maintain a chemical bond. After that, each next layer is a mechancial bond and the amine blush MUST be removed as it will inhibit epoxy from bonding to epoxy.

3. Keep epoxy off your skin as it can cause contact allergies after prolonged exposure.

4. Creating a gla$$ surface in the bilge or on the floor is really not necessary as the epoxy gla$$ composite will NOT be effected by standing water in anyway and is just plain too much work as SkiBum can attest to for sure. Carpet on the floor will hide most small low spots.

5. When using styrene to thin polyester resin, it then requires more hardener or MEKP for a proper cure. This applies to gel coat as well as it is polyester resin.

6. Unsupported 1/2" plywood is not strong enough to support people. I do not think one layer of fibergla$$ cloth will help much hear. There is a reason CC used 3/4" for that rear removable section.

The techniques SkiBum used where spot on in relation ot laying up the composite. Good job.
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 1:13pm
Waterdog, I think I am going to go the same route as skibum with wood. I didnt get a quote from coosa on the material, but my guess is that it is a lot more expensive than wood. If I do the stringer job, I am going to make it bulletproof just like skibum. I know that the wood will stay waterproof, but will it maintain its strength over 20-25 years? I haven't taken strength of materials yet in college, but I can imagine that all the energy that the stringer absorbs will eventually break down the integrity of the wood, even if the wood stays dry. With composite, I think you will maintain your strength over a longer period of time. Although, to me, 20-25 years with wood is pretty good. That would mean that my boat was 50-60 years old and it only cost me a summer of fibergla$$ work.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 11:57am
Here's some pictures for a local MA marine restoration shop. They did an interior and new stringers on an '87.

Ski Nautique

Ken
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 10:58am
If I were a betting man (which I am not) I would bet with Mark Mel. Of course I could also see you checking it since you have been very thorough with this whole process. I say eff it and wrap that carpet around the edges so it will sort of self adjust.

Either way, awesome job and this is one of the best threads to consult for stringer/floor work.

P.S. Thank you for serving.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 10:25am
I bet the plywood is twisted. Not your excellent stringer/floor repair/replacment.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:33am
Skibum & leo0648

I checked out the composite web site http://www.coosacomposites.com/bluewater.html
looks promising. I'm going to get a half dozen
samples ,cut'm up and do some tests interlaminer shear,flexural,compression this stuff looks like the "ticket".
Skibum
Do you remember the weight of the 2 by 8 fir main stringers (1 ea. ) Thanks
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 8:52pm
Thats how I feel most nights and mornings.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:39pm
I'll sleep when I am dead. (Besides, we are on cycle break - no privates).
Bill
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:36pm
And you still find time...
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by leo0648 leo0648 wrote:

Just curious, what branch are you in?

I am in the army. A cavalry scout MOS 19D4PD3YY. After my most recent trip to Iraq I was rea$$igned as a drill sergeant at Ft. Knox, KY. Rather be in Iraq.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:14pm

This is the removable floor. The origional was made of 3/4" thick plywood. There was no resin, gla$$, or water proofing of any type on the origional floor. In reality, it did not have a lot of rot. However, it was heavy and somewhat saturated with water.

My concept is 1/2" untreated plywood. Applied epoxy mat then 10oz cloth on one side today. Will do the same on the other side when it cures. Also will make certain to saturate the edges very well. This will make the floor very strong and very water proof.

I did notice a problem with the stringers. With the floor laying in place the corner on the back observer side is higher than the front driver side. No worries. Just need to finish the removable floor piece. Then I'll set it in place and make the adjustments to the stringers.

I remember working with a level, dial caliper, and hand plane for hours on end. I really thought everything would turn out in the end. But, I have more work to do.
Bill
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:04pm
Bill,
This is a great looking project. Thanks for all the help.

Just curious, what branch are you in? I will be signing a contract soon over here at Texas A&M and will be going National Gaurd.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 6:59pm

Thanks for the encouragement Alan.

Used just under a gallon of epoxy resin with fairing compound on the floor. First I sanded off the little bumps that mysteriously appeared. Tried to get the fairing compound where it was thick enough to fill properly but thin enough to run into the low spots to make the floor level. I think I mixed the compound a little thin. If you remember back, I made the floor a little higher at the hull so water would run into the bilge. Yeah, resin does the same thing as water. Most of the resin and compound stayed behind so the floor should be quite level. Just one more piece of the floor to finish now.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 6:52pm

how about using this for stringers instead. http://www.coosacomposites.com/bluewater.html

I visited the link you provided. The material looks like it would be a great replacement for any plywood applications in the boat and would certainly work for the secondary stringers which are made of 1" pine.

Waterdog, a veteran of the site, works with composites for aircraft applications. He has been trying to come up with some combination of composites that could be used to replace the wood stringer.

I considered several options before I started my project. In the end, I went with the wood. The origional stringers lasted tweny years. I am certain that with the precautions I took to water proof the stringers they will last more than twenty years. The wood is relatively inexpensive and strong enough to support the forces of the engine and drive train.

The guy on "Ship Shape TV" once built a boat where he installed foam core stringers. They were light weight and very much water proof. But he was installing them for an outboard.

I belive you could make an integrated stringer system like the modern ski boats. You are limited only by your imagination, skills, and patience.

Bottom line, I recommend just use the large fir for the main stringers. If you want to use the composite material for the sub stringers that would work fine.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 6:40pm

What is the reasoning for the different width tapes (2" 4" 8")? Is it to build up a slope?

When attaching a stringer to the hull or floor to the hull I use sequential widths of tape starting with the 2" centering it along the joint. This is followed by the 4" tape and then the 8" tape. Each layer doubles the first. Where the three layers overlap there is a large concentration of resin and gla$$. This helps to "bed" the stringer.
Bill
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 3:00pm
how about using this for stringers instead.

http://www.coosacomposites.com/bluewater.html
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 8:30pm
Don't be so hard on yourself Bill, I can't wait to see it colored and finished. Better than original by a long shot, awesome work man.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 8:28pm
Thanks,

I will definately make a donation for that disk.

What is the reasoning for the different width tapes (2" 4" 8")? Is it to build up a slope?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic