Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water behind a stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 16>
Author
72 ski antique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 ski antique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 8:01pm
I'm kinda liken the MicroLam idea. This last fall I tore out the one (actually one of a pair) that was the header to my garage door. It suffered the same fate as my stringers, due to poor construction (but that's another long repair story). That beam took 20 years of abuse. Shoot, if I got 20 out of a stringer, well taken care of, I'd be a happy camper, er boater! I have a good band saw. I think width may be more of a concern than hardness. I would think that if I kept the inside stringer-to-stringer dimension the same as the old that the outsides could float? True?
Anyone got a handle on weight? Those lam beams seem heavy. And, how about adhesion of the fiberglass resin to the lam?
Ski Antique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by 72 ski antique 72 ski antique wrote:

I think width may be more of a concern than hardness. I would think that if I kept the inside stringer-to-stringer dimension the same as the old that the outsides could float? True?
Anyone got a handle on weight? Those lam beams seem heavy. And, how about adhesion of the fiberglass resin to the lam?

They are Doug Fir so adhesion wouldn't be different than a Fir 2x. CPES and epoxy resin (not polyester) and you'd have a very strong system! The extra weight is due to the extra thickness (1.75 instead of 1.5) plus the glue. I have all there spec sheets at work and will see if I can find the weights. Yes, you would just keep the insides of the main stringers at the same width.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 9:43pm
I did some searching for the weights. The LVL was easy but the 2x Doug Fir got complicated due to the moisture content differences as well as where it's grown (different S.G.'s).

Here's the nominal 2x6
LVL: 2.43lbs per ft. (1.75 x 5.5)
2x6 at 6% moisture: 2.03 lbs per ft. (1.5 x 5.5)

Now, if we need say two stringers 16' long each then the weight difference is only 11.84lbs.

I'm surprised! The next boat I do will be LVL's!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 10:01pm
Old @ over 20% moisture
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2009 at 4:26am
Mike:

Just a reminder for those showroom style pics when you're done. I'm keen to see the end result.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2009 at 1:33pm
Hey Donovan,

i have been on holiday more or less, 10 days. Just got back late last night from the St John's River Reunion. I plan on finishing up the boat in the next couple weeks. I was waiting for round two for my exhaust pipes, anyway. My remaining list of to do's is pretty short.

--exhaust pipes and hoses cut and attached.
--rear floor sections down
--carpet floor
--install kickboard (which is finished)
--install steering wheel
--cut, fit, epoxy, carpet, and install removeable rear floor panel
--blower hose
--replace a couple ground connections

I may have 20 hours left to do, including drinking the rest of the beers in celebration, and to catch up to Eric's estimate.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 3:36am
Hi Mike:

I trust you enjoyed the time off with the other cc members. That is a short list and as long as you keep the list balanced with your beer intake, i'm sure 20 hours is on the cards.

With the arrival of my daughter my project has been limited to weekends. I have made some progress though and should update soon.

Don
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2009 at 1:18am
Last night I got my port exhaust installed. I plan to get my starboard done tomorrow night and put down the rear side boards. Hopefully, I can get my access board cut and fit and maybe a coat of epoxy. This weekend will see carpet laid down!! I am sooo close here.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2009 at 11:53am
Exhaust is installed, and the rear side floorboards are down. I will get my carpet cut and fit today. The rear panel cut, fit, and epoxied.

Couple pics.

Port side:

Both:

Floor:

Mike N

1968 Mustang

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2009 at 12:26pm
Slicky slick Mike...and no kinks in the exhaust!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2009 at 1:08pm
Very, very nice Mike. Just like Greg's job, almost a shame to cover it up!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2009 at 1:56pm
That's some craftsmanship for you there...
Great job Mike!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2009 at 3:05pm
Thank guys.   I have to give props to the Boat Dr for the exhaust plan. I could not decide if that flex hose would even work with the 80 and 90 angles I needed to make in such a tight spot. Jbear, I guarantee that Greg's looks way better under there. I am really happy with what I have done, but his is in a league of it's own, I think.
Carpet is cut and fit around the pylon and exhaust, and I have some epoxy drying on the access board.
Now, I need to go plow freaking snow as we got 4-5" of that crap last night. Just sick of winter.

Later.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2009 at 3:24pm
That looks great. Where did you get the ss pipe?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2009 at 3:37pm
Way too kind Mike, but thanks!

I was studying a similar set-up on Chip's boat Sunday, and that looks like it beats flex hose to me.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2009 at 5:00pm
Greg, Karen's boat is just like Chipper's.

Bruce, I had ordered from a custom exhaust shop, however, they did not listen very closely, and did not look at the photos i sent of what I needed. Thus, what they sent me was totally unuseable, and looked like crap. I order piles from Summit Racing.

Dynomax stainless pipe

The above was another Boat Dr recommendation.

I took a 24t blade on the bandsaw and a fiber blade on my chopsaw to get an 80* cut for off the manifold, and then the 90* for through the floor. Worked surpisingly well and only took me about 1 1/2 hours for the first side, and an hour for the second as I had measurements then for a guideline. I also use the bandsaw for the hose after the first go with the chopsaw. Smoked like crazy and stunk up my whole shop. P.U.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2009 at 12:27pm
Mike, i think i missed on why they run the exhaust on the outboard side of the stringers..im really confused
"the things you own will start to own you"
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2009 at 2:34pm
Any danger of the exhausts melting or igniting the pool noodles? I'm guessing with the water flow they won't get hot enough to do any damage. Just curious. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2009 at 7:32pm
Eric, there's not enough room to run the exhaust inside the stringers and get by the rudder on the starboard side. All the V8s are run on the outside. My six is run on the inside as there is enough room for a single hose on the port side. I don't know how the old Chris Crafts did it as there exhaust through hulls were always close together in the center of the transome. Maybe their stringers were farther apart. Come to think out it my Malibus are run on the insides. I'l have to check them out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2009 at 11:44pm
I got the main carpet laid and glued down today. I left the outer few inches loose as I have not decided 100% what I am going to do abut the edge. Correct Craft sold me the outer trim pieces, and I got a bunch of old un-useable crap from them balled up in a wad and stuffed in a box. I am waiting to get a resolution tomorrow. If they have new stock and figure out how to ship it, i will use that. Otherwise, I will sharpen the scalpels and just cut it tight. The trim they sent for the center board is fine, and I got that glued to the access board today, also.

Couple pics of the carpet.

Here is a shot of the steering wheel I got from Boat Dr in Orlando. Note the steering helm hub is now powder coated and looks awesome. Thanks Doc !!!

Below is the kick panel I made a couple weeks ago. Amp is mounted. I have two large holes for the hot tubes for the heater. If anyone has any grommet ideas for the wire holes, I would love to hear them. Seems I should have researched sizes available, prior to drilling non-available sized holes.

Brian, I don't really have any more than a couple incidental contact points with the noodles and metal, but even so, I cannot imagin it would be a problem unless I overheated badly. In which case, I have bigger problems that multi colored goo in the channel.
Eric, not sure what to tell you on the exhaust being on the outboard side of the primaries. Doing this over, I would have made the secondaries a lot wider and run my access panel out there. I had re-worked this enough times, and I was not interested in any more changes. As a lightly used craft, I hopefully will not run into any problems where I need to get at the exhaust. If so, I did not epoxy these down like the rest of the floor, and I would just have to slit the carpet, peel it off, and remove screws.

I hope to have the boat done done, by the end of next weekend.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 2:26am
Very nice...up to your usual standards.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 1:47pm
That boat is coming up^real nice! Great job!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 2:05pm
Mike,
Your work looks fantastic! Looks like hours of fun for this summer.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

They really aren't that bad because they are made from Doug Fir veneer. It really thick plywood! Slightly harder only because of the glue used. Now, whether you're cutting out stringers from plain 2x's or microlams, a decent band saw and a hand held power planer does come in handy.

With the difficulty getting Doug Fir in some areas, plus the junk we are seeing lately called "lumber", I'm really surprised that I as well as others haven't though of it before. It's really a decent product. I don't know how much more the expense would be.

Pete another advantage of the microlams is that they will be "drier," as they are made of strips of wood laminated together. Each individual strip is easier to dry, so it result in a straight and true board that will not warp.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 2:51pm
Bruce at the former MWCC has good clean trim strips on the way to me. This will make much easier work of the carpet edges.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

zman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 4:38pm
Mikey,

Awesome job! Really!!! Great Pic's, but I'd like to add it looks even better in person. Nice!!!

Can't wait to start "Grampa"
99 SuperAir 502
94 Ski Nautique
65 Sportsman 17
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 5:34pm
Mike,
Is your entire deck painted or just the blue section of dash? I'm looking to repair some damage on mine and am thinking about painting the entire deck until I can save enough $ to re-gel.

Your progress looks great, can't wait to see final pictures!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 5:57pm
Chris,

Thank you. Hopefully my final pictures will be this weekend.
We just painted the dash. I believe the deck is painted, but sometimes I second guess that as it is either really well done, or is still gel. The hull was painted after it got smacked against a piling or something. They did not repair or repaint the deck afterwards, so that is what makes me question it. In sanding down the dash there were three coats I removed, crappy black, a grayish primer underneath, then white, then the gel at the bottom was a cream color. I should know more about that stuff, but cannot say I do.
A repaint is a ways away for me. I have so much time into this project, I need a break, and a summer to just enjoy her.

Z, Grampa is next up !!

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

We just painted the dash. I believe the deck is painted, but sometimes I second guess that as it is either really well done, or is still gel. In sanding down the dash there were three coats I removed, crappy black, a grayish primer underneath, then white, then the gel at the bottom was a cream color.

Mike, I dont think the white is original- all the boats from that era that Ive seen got either a colored deck, or a cream one. I dont believe you use a primer when gelling, so youre probably correct that its been repainted.

It doesnt seem uncommon for people to paint over the deck with the original gel starts to get scratched up or faded. Most people arent smart enough to realize that it would only take a buffing to restore the original color and shine!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 6:17pm
That is what I keep thinking too, until I look at the battle wound. They must have repainted the deck, then slammed it against the culprit. Then, repaired the chine, then repainted the hull.
FWIW, on the dash, the primer was below the black, but on top of the white.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 16>
  Share Topic