NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 / GT40P

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 / GT40P
    Posted: November-08-2014 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

For a 400+ hp build, I'd think differently.

Yea like I'm not wasting a 400 + engine on a 16 foot Mustang
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2014 at 7:47pm
I do.

The '69.5+ flat top boxes fit over 351's as the same box was used on most boats (ski nautiques included) through '82. The curvier boxes used prior to that will not fit a 351 underneath unless the manifolds are very conservative and even then questionable. Wood boxes came over the wider chryslers and even 302 HM's.

Most people who know engines half way decent would spot a 351w in place of a 302, the width is pretty easy to spot. With the power levels being discussed here, no reason to step up to the larger block. For a 400+ hp build, I'd think differently.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2014 at 3:54pm
I am pretty sure Tim knows what boxes fit what.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2014 at 3:14pm
Thanks for the input everyone. I have been following the "Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang Build" thread and enjoy it, but I am not looking to build a restomod. I am only considering this engine work because I have a spare H/M engine that's locked up and it would be nice to have a fresh engine. I work slowly and I don't want to make more work for myself. I also want it to look all original, at least with the motor cover down, and I NEED it ready before Green Lake next summer. The engine work requires nothing from me other than dropping it off at my engine shop and picking it up fresh and detailed. The original engine runs good and I can set it aside complete with all the correct pieces. I suspect my spare tranz is probably just a core and that they are not worth much if anything in that condition. I plan on re-using the original. There is plenty to do without making more work for myself.
This boat will be used by my wife and kids and I don't want it to be more than they can handle. I sold my last boat for exactly that reason If this Mustang is capable of a deep water barefoot start (not for me) and looks good with a few old cotton tops in it, it is good enough for us. I don't intend to show it, Gary has that base covered.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2014 at 12:06pm
We should measure the width and length of a wood vs a 'glass box. I only have about 1/4 to 1/2 side clearance on mine til the manifolds hit. Not sure if PCM's are narrower,I suspect they are,but in my case I sure would not give up the HM's just so I could have a 351. Maybe those squared off newer style ones,like the one John has would clear better,I don't know.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I know the 351W is slightly larger, Are the old dog houses that tight?

A little quote from the internet,

"Here’s even more cool stuff about the 351W: It is only 1” wider (approximately), and 1” taller than a 289/302 and almost all of the outer bolt-on’s are the same, from the motor mounts, to the valve covers, to the water pump, to the bell housing bolt pattern, to the exhaust bolt pattern, to the spark plugs, to the heads, rockers, timing cover and so on….. all the same as ANY 289/302.

Put a 289 / 302 side by side with a 351W and take a few steps back. It’s VERY hard to tell the difference between the two. The best part is; it’s a completely bolt-in swap for any early Mustang from 65 on-up, and any early Falcon, Galaxie, Fairlane, Cobra kit car, 5.0 Mustang, or pretty much anything that had a 289/302 sitting in it. Usually all it takes to swap out a 351W with a 289/302 is nothing more than a set of retro fit headers and a low profile air cleaner and you’re good to go. Hedman makes a great set of retro fit headers for early Mustangs, Falcons, etc..

So, without even spending any extra money on expensive stroker parts, a stock 351W has a MUCH stronger block and lower-end, a better deck height, and a better rod angle without even doing a thing to it, plus it is already larger in displacement than both the 331and 347 strokers! Remember that saying? “There’s no replacement for displacement”? Right from the get-go it’s bigger and it’ll make more power, plus it’ll handle that additional power MUCH better (and much more of it) than ANY 289/302 based stroker ever will!

Now here’s an even better part. One of the best all around strokers you can build is a 408 cubic incher based on a 351W block. So consider this, you can either spend all of your money building a weak little 331 or 347 stroker, or you can build a nice 351W and turn it into a monster 408 cubic incher for about the same amount of money, which will absolutely eat-up and spit out the other two on ANY given day!"

The 351W uses a much longer connecting rod, this takes a lot of stress out of the engine with less piston side wall loading and helps with durability.

No debate on what you copied from the Internet but isn't it a known issue that the 351 doesn't fit and is a major reason guys stroke the 302? I have never worked on a little mustang so I'm really just making conversation but I think the guys that know these boats would add some fact. And by guys that know these boats I don't mean Hollywood.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2014 at 6:07am
I know the 351W is slightly larger, Are the old dog houses that tight?

A little quote from the internet,

"Here’s even more cool stuff about the 351W: It is only 1” wider (approximately), and 1” taller than a 289/302 and almost all of the outer bolt-on’s are the same, from the motor mounts, to the valve covers, to the water pump, to the bell housing bolt pattern, to the exhaust bolt pattern, to the spark plugs, to the heads, rockers, timing cover and so on….. all the same as ANY 289/302.

Put a 289 / 302 side by side with a 351W and take a few steps back. It’s VERY hard to tell the difference between the two. The best part is; it’s a completely bolt-in swap for any early Mustang from 65 on-up, and any early Falcon, Galaxie, Fairlane, Cobra kit car, 5.0 Mustang, or pretty much anything that had a 289/302 sitting in it. Usually all it takes to swap out a 351W with a 289/302 is nothing more than a set of retro fit headers and a low profile air cleaner and you’re good to go. Hedman makes a great set of retro fit headers for early Mustangs, Falcons, etc..

So, without even spending any extra money on expensive stroker parts, a stock 351W has a MUCH stronger block and lower-end, a better deck height, and a better rod angle without even doing a thing to it, plus it is already larger in displacement than both the 331and 347 strokers! Remember that saying? “There’s no replacement for displacement”? Right from the get-go it’s bigger and it’ll make more power, plus it’ll handle that additional power MUCH better (and much more of it) than ANY 289/302 based stroker ever will!

Now here’s an even better part. One of the best all around strokers you can build is a 408 cubic incher based on a 351W block. So consider this, you can either spend all of your money building a weak little 331 or 347 stroker, or you can build a nice 351W and turn it into a monster 408 cubic incher for about the same amount of money, which will absolutely eat-up and spit out the other two on ANY given day!"

The 351W uses a much longer connecting rod, this takes a lot of stress out of the engine with less piston side wall loading and helps with durability.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 8:57pm
Get an upholstered wood one
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 8:04pm
Get a bigger doghouse!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

If you are building a new engine why not find a 351W and build it rather than stroke a 302. I think you could make more power and do it for less money. Or stroke the 351W and make even more!!! Power always brings smiles in boats.

Sounds logical at first but it has to fit under the doghouse?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 7:31pm
If you are building a new engine why not find a 351W and build it rather than stroke a 302. I think you could make more power and do it for less money. Or stroke the 351W and make even more!!! Power always brings smiles in boats.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 6:21pm
Thanks Tim. I am reasonably certain I will set aside the good original engine and start fresh with the spare and add some bling. I just got an email from Lee Holman informing me that the out of stock H/M valve covers like Gary's are expected to be back in stock within the next couple of weeks. I need a distributor recommendation for it too since I am not opposed to mixing it up with the spare. I will add it up when I have a list of everything I think I need, heads, cam, rockers, intake, distributor, pistons, rebuild, and maybe a 331 kit, and make a decision. It may still come in at less than the tax on a new CC. How plans change. I should get my refurbished H/M manifolds back within the next two weeks.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 5:27pm
I want to say Reid is running one on his 347 '73 HM. Similar to a performer rpm iirc, the extra $ might be worth tj for the look!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 4:16pm
Does anyone have any thoughts on this manifold? My guess would be that it doesn't offer much performance increase but I like the look. It is obviously taller than the original iron manifold and clearance may be an issue. Aluminum dual plane

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 12:35am
True, mine are on studs and those '66 valve covers were very small.
Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 11:36pm
Not all roller rockers require taller valve covers. I'm running pedestal mount 1.6 FMS (crane) rr's under stock height valve covers on my '90.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 11:29pm
My rollers are 1.6. They will required taller valve covers, which are very close to the exhaust manifolds.
Tim D
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 7:13pm
Yes with a little more work.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Those are the heads I have on the '85s RR motor. Do0E mildley ported with bigger valves.

Those are 79 nautiques old heads.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 6:03pm
Here is a flow comparison chart I have from a long time ago

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 3:40pm
Those are the heads I have on the '85s RR motor. Do0E mildley ported with bigger valves.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 3:29pm
What heads are you running studs on, paul?

It's significant $$ to convert from pedestal mount just for the one time adjustability, though it is nice. I'd advise sticking with pedestals on a factory head... Probably not worth the extra cost at the relatively tame power levels factory iron heads will be pushing. Aftermarket heads, studs all the way!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 2:51pm
John,
If you decide to go with stud mount roller rockers I have a set of 1.6 Scorpions I would be willing to sell.
I only put a couple of test hours on them before I changed them for a set of 1.7s

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 12:46pm
Mmmm water tractor..

Well behaved??? I think the Tique is a little unruly when it starts to bounce ;).
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 11:59am
Yes, it hit 56.4 with a little stainless 2-blade, about 1mph better than the Acme 1210 could muster. It has an edelbrock performer rpm intake on it, if I remember correctly.

It's very well behaved... As are all modified correct crafts I've encountered thus far. Even Joe's 83 and our bfn start reliably and idle nicely down at normal rpm's (650ish). The bfn sounds lumpy with the 4" exhaust and big cam, but it is perfectly functional for putting around and pulling skiers, which is it's primary purpose. It just goes faster when the throttle is pushed further. You'd really have to build an extreme motor, or at least be mighty careless in component selection to diminish overall usability of these boats. They're very light and with prop slip essentially have the equivalent of high stall torque converters, so there's no need to be concerned with a potential drop off in "off idle" power, unlike a heavy muscle car. I've never seen an engine built with midrange to high end power in mind that also didn't improve holeshot (usually significantly). I think people are generally too conservative, as remarks like "build for low end power" or "water tractor" are pretty common- and only serve to limit your options (with no benefit).
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 11:33am
Tim, would that be 56.4 to be exact? That is very impressive. Very pretty boat too if it's the one I think. Does it have the stock intake? That sounds like just what I'm looking for if it has descent manners for putting around and the wife & kids to use.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 5:13am
John, you are not "limited" to .500 lift with p-heads... They just don't flow significantly more at higher lift in stock form (Google gt40p head flow data and you'll see what I mean). They're a very good stock replacement head but they do have their limitations. They are probably not a good choice for BIG power (>1hp/ci) given the rpm range we tend to run (5k or so).

That said, they're a great choice for a mild build. Even going with the "biggest" RH cam currently available (cam researches popular .460 grind) and the biggest rocker ratio (1.72) and you won't quite reach .500 at the valve. I'd say you would be happy with 1.6's- my uncle built a p-headed 302 for his ski Tique with that cam (stock 1.6 rockers) and the dyno said the combo was good for 290hp or so. It pushes the boat 54-55, it's quite the little rocket.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 1:02am
That's really sweet looking. Do you know the rocker ratio? I am of the understanding that the lift is limited to >.5 with the heads I want.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 12:38am
I put a Clevite came in my Mustang. It changed the firing order to that of a 351. Roller rockers made a big difference in the mid-range power.

Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Thank you Pete. I will ask for the "tubing profile" if I order a cam.

I'd say ask them for a mid range RPM cam!

I would discourage saying any such thing to a cam guy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic