Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unexplained Episodes of Stalling

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
1989sn2001_985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unexplained Episodes of Stalling
    Posted: May-23-2016 at 9:25am
Hello CorrectCraft Experts....I have a odd one for you that I can't solve and need your expertise. I have done my best to cruise existing topics as well as provide as much information as possible below. Thanks for taking a look!

Boat: 1989 Ski Nautique 2001, PCM 351. Electronic Ignition

Background: Purchased last October, I only took it out on the water twice, both without any issues. Over the winter it was winterized following best practices including an oil change, oil filter, etc.   Also during this time the fuel Filter housing was upgraded to a more modern one so filters were easier to find, etc.

Symptom: From a cold start, boat will turn over without issue, idle and level off as normal. I can cruise for 30-45 minutes without issue and this is usually about the time I make it to my destination so I dock it. Coming back 1-2 hours later (engine still warm), it will start fine, but then stall/die after about 45 seconds. After dying, I can usually start the boat right back, sometimes I have to wait a minute or 2. Apon turning back over, it will again run for about 30-45 seconds, then stall. This will continue 8-9 times until finally it decides to stay running and will be fine.

More Info on Scenario: The stalling happens regardless of idle, neutral revved, underway, etc. Two weeks ago I decided to replace the ignition coil. This seemed to have fixed the issue with an entire weekend without issue. That is until the last run of the day, when it stalled again, same scenario as above. After looking at it when the issue was happening, I noticed the ignition coil was unbelievably hot. So I did some reading, noticed that it said "external resistor required" on the coil and started tracing wires. I Found that the external ballast resistor had been bypassed. So I purchased a new ign. coil, and new ballast resistor and installed. Boat started an ran, but only had 1 hours to test. I am not confident this is a solution...

What I have Checked:
     I have attempted to follow the wiring system throughout the boat to ensure good connectivity an no major drops in voltage
     I have tested the battery with a load tester
     I have tested the alternator and confirmed a healthy 13.5-14 while engine on at the battery and throughout the system
     The boat has run 2 tanks of gas, so the gas that sat over the winter should be gone

What I have replaced:
     - Fuel Filter and Housing (as a part of wintirization last October)
     - Distributor Cap (likely unrelated, but it was time)
     - Battery (again, no issues with the other one, but a just eliminating items)
     - Dash Wiring (my local mechanic re-wired the dash switches so they all did not feed off the ignition)
     - Ignition Coil & Ballast Resistor (see "More Info on Scenario")

Side Notes: I have noticed that the volt meter on the dash never goes above 12.5 while engine is on. I have read this can be from corroded connections on the gages, etc. I am getting a ful 13.5 at the batter while engine running. This may/may not be related.

I greatly appreciate any thoughts/feedback on this one. I am stumped!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 9:37am
Byron,
First I'd like to welcome you to CCfan. New members are always great to come on board. Pictures would be great as well.

The coil and ballast resistor not being wired correctly sure sounds like it was your problem. Time will tell. The other potential is the EI conversions have been know to create problems. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to test them. Run the boat and if the problem comes up again, I'd switch back to a point set.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 9:54am
Thanks so much for the quick feedback and welcoming me to the Forum, I appreciate it.

I believe the EI conversion has been in place for several years (certainly does not mean it could not be causing issues)., I will ask the previous owner who I met and purchased this boat through CCFan about when that was done and if he had any issues.

Do you (or anyone) have any concerns about the 12.5 voltage on the dash or think I need to be look at the fuel system?

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback and help.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 10:00am
Make sure the coil you have is not an internal resisted coil. Have you by chance felt the coil after running it for a while? They usually get hot but if they are REALLY hot than you have a supply issue. Make sire the voltage is good and clean going to the resistor and coil. You dont want to be tagging off any supply that may get interrupted.
The symptoms sure sound coil related to me.
I wouldnt give up on the ei right away.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 10:06am
Thanks Tony for the input. I was able to clearly define that the coil requires an external resistor based on its specs. Initially, I thought it was coil releated so replaced it, but then this weekend it happend again, and only then I noticed that the resistor was not wired in, so replaced that and got another coil for good measure....
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 10:24am
Byron - The 12.5V at dash is a common problem. The wire feeding the dash is just barely big enough to carry the load, some will argue that it is undersize. Some of us (myself included) had added another wire to supply the dash, which will minimize the voltage drop.

I also added another ground, which helps with gauges.

Here is a thread:

wiring
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:00pm
Agree on your response and thanks for the link. Do we think that issue of poor power to the dash is related to the stalling?   Regardless I will likely do the upgraded wiring to alleviate the 12.5v reading issue. Consensus on ignition coil being the culprit and replacing it, this time with a resistor, needs to be focus?   Appreciate the feedback everyone.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:03pm
I suspect your igniter module is smoked. The damage internally is already done.

Seen it before give your scenario, running coil without matched impedance.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:09pm
Thanks for reply. And excuse my lack of knowledge, the igniter module is the rotary that the distributor cap attaches too?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:16pm
No, speaking of the EI points replacement module, often called an igniter.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The other potential is the EI conversions have been know to create problems. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to test them. I'd switch back to a point set.

There are easy ways to check the EI modules with a Volt Ohm Meter. Just google your brand of EI and find the trouble shooting section. Just did my Mallory setup last week. It checked good and was a coil issue. Some on here are against EI conversions or EI in general. Seems odd to me that 99.999% of the auto and boat manufacturers would switch to inferior ignition systems. Thanks but I'll keep my Electronic Ignition in everything I own.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The other potential is the EI conversions have been know to create problems. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to test them. I'd switch back to a point set.

There are easy ways to check the EI modules with a Volt Ohm Meter. Just google your brand of EI and find the trouble shooting section. Just did my Mallory setup last week. It checked good and was a coil issue. Some on here are against EI conversions or EI in general. Seems odd to me that 99.999% of the auto and boat manufacturers would switch to inferior ignition systems. Thanks but I'll keep my Electronic Ignition in everything I own.

Duane,
You are correct but this is a static test.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 3:53am
How is your coil mounted? If its mounted sideways than move it upright or get an epoxy filled coild like the msd blaster.
oil filled coils don't like to be mounted sideways. some run forever like that without issue but most do not.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 6:57am
Bryon,
I still suspect the EI conversion. Regarding the coil mounted horizontal, I'd like to respectfully say there are 10's of thousands out there running that way.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 11:22am
Concur,
The EI was overstressed in an out-of-spec high current condition, and now fails under high ambient heat even if the coil's primary resistance was now corrected.

Its a toxic environment for electronics, high heat, high current (which was exceeded)   and suppressing the back-emf of a couple hundred volts from the coil, 200 times per second and more.

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 3:03pm
Thanks so much for the replies everyone. So it sounds like everyone agrees that the symptoms point to the ignition system (coil and module).   It also sounds like we may have stumbled on the fix (getting a new coil and resistor inline), but that damage may have been done to the module which should be tested and considered suspect if issue persists.

My only feedback is that the system was running without a resistor, with a coil demanding a resistor, on its side and with EI...without issue for several seasons (according to previous owner.)   It seemed to run well for me before winterization and only had this issue post summerization. No argument ignition system needs attention and focus on this item.

Final question would be is anyone concerned about fuel system. My mechanic did install a new fuel filter housing (to support more modern filters). Should I examine fuel filter, fuel system, and or carb as a possible cause for this issue?   Maybe I had a bunch of condensation in tank over winter and now fuel filter is messed up with water?

I again greatly appreciate all the feedback, this has been a huge help. I am going to take this post with me to the lake this weekend and go line by line. You all are awesome.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 4:07pm
I understand it doesn't make sense at first.

With these boats fuel starvation is the typical diagnosis with stalling out under heavy load, but almost never occurs in neutral or low-flow conditions, it will manifest at highest speeds first. Your description was contrary to that, once it occurs after use, you said it can reoccur even in neutral.

If you still want to check your fuel system, make certain the tank vent is open, and the barb fitting on the tank outlet is clear of debris, those are the most common points of failure.

Consider electronix are unlike a fan belt or light bulb. They will fail in a myriad of ways, from entirely open or resistively shunted (easy) to more subtle and fail at certain temperatures, certain air gaps, conditions etc. and this is likely one of them...
You would not believe the processing that can occur on a two-wire part.

Failure analysis of mixed signal Hall effect sensors is my bread and butter. I diagnose similar and more complex automotive components, from ignition, crank sensors, proximity sensors, as well as stepper motor and LED display drivers, and find the point of failure to the sub-micron level when necessary.

I've seen how the sausage is made, and also know how it goes bad.

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 7:53pm
So GottaSki, do you still eat sausage?

Byron - How about a picture of the EI unit? Maybe we can figure out what brand it is, & possibly you won't have to replace the whole dizzy.

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 11:54pm
GottaSki, hear you loud and clear.

SNobsessed, I failed to take a picture, but I did write down "prestolite marine distributor sae-j1171" I know the sae # is genral, I could not read the exact model number very well. Its been in place for about 5-6 years, I believe.

If we are convinced this module needs to go despite the addition of a new coil and resistor, maybe I should buy a new one this week and have it on standby for the long weekend??

Again, appreciate all the expertise.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 12:15am
There are at least 3 electronic conversions,Mallory E spark,Accel which looks exactiy same just in their color yellow and the infamous Pertronix. They all make a unit for a Prestolite distributor. A picture with the cap off would help alot. For some reason when ever there are ignition problems it's always a Pertronix,not just here but other sites as well. You never hear of trouble with any other one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 12:32am
ah! I understand now, OK, will have to wait until the weekend when I can get some pictures, details. Thanks again everyone.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 9:56am
If this is what it looks like, then they still can be found, although it takes some looking. they go for around $90.

Not to obfuscate the problem, but I have the prestolite EI & run a ballast-type coil without ballast.. Been fine for 8 years now. The only heat involved is from site!

Went so far as to call Vince at SkiDim. He said the high voltage aftermarket 'Flamethrower' type coils fail all the time, but the MSD epoxy-filled coil I had was good to go in my setup.

Ben Franklin
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 10:45am
I have one I'll sell cheap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:31am
SNobessed, I hear you. Mine was configured with a coil "requiring an external resistor" without the resistor in place for a lengthy amount of time for sure. I am not even sure me putting a resistor back in line with a new coil addressed the issue. It is so hard to consistently re-create I am grasping at straws.

The other odd item is that it is literally an episode. So boat fires up, take it out for an hour, come back to dock, it sits for an hour or 2, come back, fire it up...30-45 seconds it dies, fires right back up, dies 30-45 seconds...this repeats about 10 times over the course of 30-40 minutes until it starts and decides to stay running without issue.

GunDriver, I may be interested in getting that part from you just so I have something to try this weekend. Thoughts everyone? Still convinced issue lies with module and should consider replacing?

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback and help.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:40am
Jumping to conclusions,you don't even know what module is even in yours. If it is like Pauls go for it,but you gotta know first.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:59am
Agree, going by memory is not my best attribute.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 12:05pm
I would getting a new coil and module if I were you. Don't fool around with faulty electronics.

I also have a Prestolite EI module (purple wire). It was already on the boat when we bought it 15 years ago, too bad they are NLA.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989sn2001_985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 3:52pm
Understood, thanks for the feedback Hollywood.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 4:01pm
Read the install directions and don't go bypassing the ballast resistor because someone once said so.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 12:03am
Yea, I got the bypass idea from 'ole 79 Nautique.   Maybe shouldn't believe everything on the net!

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic