NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Drive 1.1

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Drive 1.1
    Posted: January-19-2008 at 4:48pm
Hi Could I swap my old BW 71/72c 1.1 for this type, BW 10-18-014 ser no 20087 1.1 on to my 78 SN or keep for a spare, as the body looks the same, its just the back take off is not the same.

many thanks roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 5:25pm
Wait for Eric he can tell you for sure, but someone else may be able to as well. I am not real sure on the interchange so I would hate to give bad advice. But I believe them to be the same trans, the 10-18 is the heavy duty one usually used in barefooters. But I would think you could just put a 5 inch coupling on your exsisting 1 inch shaft to make it work right. Just my two cents though.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 5:33pm
Thanks, 87bfn for your thoughts will wait for
Eric on this one.

many thanks roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 8:59am
I think the 10-18 is a little larger, but I'm not sure about the bolt-up. It seems to me that if the 10-17 bolts to a small block and the 10-18 to a big block, then there will be significant differences. I could also be way out in left field, so I'll wait with you guys on Eric's answer.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 11:10am
the 10-18 that you have is a plug in TRS set-up, it probably had or has an aluminum housing on the back. Mercury used this transmission with a TRS outdrive that would mount on the transom and plug in inside the boat. the case is different but the guts are the same as other 10-18's. what is wrong with your trans? the 10-18 is worth its weight if you no someone that needs it. the parts from the 10-17 are different than the 10-18, the difference is that a 10-17 uses 5 and 4 plates as to the 10-18 uses 7 and 6 forward plates so the 10-18 parts are larger and not interchangeable with the 10-17.....
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 12:18pm
I modified some of those tranny's over the years and some guy's are pumping 800 ponies to them, the tr drive is bulletproof, the trans was the weak link but was overcome by some tricks of the trade, all in all these Borg Warners are and always will be one of the best transmissions that were ever produced, a couple outfits, "Huber, Bam marine have them modified to accept 1200 ponies. Alot of guys call me and want to install the PCM 40'a in place of the trans and I laugh that would be like putting a lawn tractor in place of a d-8 dozer. Im trying out some new plates on Madd Marxx's trans, they are highly refined no groove red-eagle clutch plates with nitrated kolene steels they handle heat and clamp tighter unlike the bronzes this change alone could handle 500 horse easily....even though im told Madd Marx boat only has 156 horse power lol
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 2:24pm
Hi Eric
Thank's for all the info on the 10-18 I have seen it on UK eBay thought it might make a back up should the old 71/72c give up.
And you are right it has a aluminum housing on the back, so its the big brother of 71/72c.
Could you do a rebuild kit for my 71/72c as to ship back to the US then back + import tax
is high, as cost over $34.00 add 17.5% and I have read on the forum you use some uprated parts
not just run of the mill parts.
My SN 78 was a wreck (still a bit have the
stringers out) had my tea break now back to work on them.
Many thanks roger
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 6:34pm
i could get some parts together for you, are you tearing it down soon? look at the pump, the 71 and 72 pumps are the same so you can use the better of the 2, also the clutches are the same its the anount that is different
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

even though im told Madd Marx boat only has 156 horse power lol

Thats wrong, I just changed my plugs its at 157hp now!

Eric... just try to get all the parts in it before you put it back together! lol
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 9:22pm
Hi Eric

Thanks for the help I have the engine and drive out of the boat on a cradle I made, just copied the one in the back of a pick up on the forum.How do you tell the difference between the 71 and 72c from the out side, as mine has no tags left on it.The boat has had a hard life and poor servicing so think it would need a full rebuild have had the engine running and the drive ran forward and back but out of the water as the boat was not water tight.Is there a way of testing the unit out of the boat to see how bad things are inside.
My SN is a 1977 or 78 with a SBC RR as the plate on the boat is all worn off, shall post to see if i can put something on the plate to show what was there, if I hold it in a dim light it has a ghost image on it.
many thanks roger
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic