NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tower Speakers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tower Speakers
    Posted: January-03-2008 at 1:22pm
Well they are running a holiday special on new dimension towers and NVS tower speakers at onlyinboards.com that has me pretty interested in buying now. I know this isn't the most stereo centric forum but has anyone had any experience with the NVS tyrant speakers, I am leaning towards a pair of tyrants as being most cost effective however I don't want to buy them and find out that i really should have gotten an Envity and a pair of Addictions or ?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 2:10pm
I thought that Quinner and Gotwake had experience with NVS speakers.

Mikeski on the PlanetNautique forum knows this stuff inside out. He's a personal friend and I can put you two in touch if you like. BKH
Livin' the Dream

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 2:12pm
Hey Joe,

The Tyrants are what are on my boat so I am guessing you heard them at GL. They are very powerful and very clear, (well mine were, something is a miss and I need to figure out what) the music projects a long ways back, in fact the further away it seems the better you can hear the music. I have noticed that when slaloming the amount of sound diminishes quite a bit at the turns then almost hits you across the wake. Also keep in mind whatever you are playing will most likely be heard by all your neighbors on the lake so your music selection may need to be altered somewhat as mine was. IIRC used an 850w amp specifically for the tower speakers. A couple things to also consider are if your boat will be stored in a secure location or out of the elements, if you need to take the speakers down after each use look at the new quick release they have available, also keep in mind these things are heavy. I am on a lift under canopy however mine come down if the boat will sit for more than a couple days, if you need to remove them regularly the only way to do it by yourself is with the tower folded, and yes folding the tower with 50lbs of added weight can be a challenge, not impossible but definitely requires some muscle, if yours are going on your closed bow that could also make things a bit more challenging. If you have the speakers up without a bimini below them they are definitely head bangers if you forget they are there.

I am no stereo expert so I leaned on a couple guy's for info, Gotwake (Ken K) is very knowledgeable as is Mikeski over on PN, also Duane at NVS is a really nice guy and will answer all your questions.

Anyways, these speakers rock and would be awesome on your boat, feel free to drop me a line or call if you have any specific questions, again, I am no stereo guru but may be able to answer some of your questions as I did the install/wiring myself.

CQ

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 9:16pm
Thanks Brian and Chris, I think the tyrants are the way I am going to go. I knew Chris had NVS speakers and they sounded good but I didn't know if they were tyrants or the entity's. Two entity's wouldnt be bad but they are t0o wide, one entity and two addictions would be another 6 or 7 benjamins that could be spent else where like on the am wires and additional blue top I am going to need. I am on a big enough lake that I can drive a few miles to ski/board and not annoy my neighbors. It looks like I am gonna have to increase the stated value on the boat insurance again this summer.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

They are very powerful and very clear, (well mine were, something is a miss and I need to figure out what)

LOW VOLTAGE
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 12:29am
Man that is a sweet looking ride quinner...hope I can get a pull behind her sometime soon.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 10:42am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Man that is a sweet looking ride quinner...hope I can get a pull behind her sometime soon.

Gotta agree,
Wow that is a nice looking rig Quinner!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 12:10pm
Thanks Guy's, best part is it preforms as well as it looks.

JBear, we need to get you up here for some early spring or late fall skiing as that FLA weather has probably made you soft!

Joe, should you choose to take on the speakers drop me a line, I can link you to where we purchased all the grommets, wire mold, speaker wire, etc. as finding all that took almost as much time as the install itself.

Hollywood may be right on it being a voltage issue as I never added a 2nd battery, may just try a single Optima next season and see how that goes.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 9:57pm
CQ: I admit to gettin' soft as to the weather. In Ohio I'd skied easy when the temps were in the 60's and never had a second thought. But ask Eddie (backfoot)...it is easy to get spoiled down here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2008 at 4:02pm
Well I pulled the trigger on the two tyrants and the New dimensions tower this morning ....feels like winter is already flying by with barely enough time to get the various upgrade projects done.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2008 at 4:08pm
link to website?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2008 at 4:11pm
www.onlyinboards.comwww.onlyinboards.com
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2008 at 10:44pm
Well, I still don't know anything about NVS speakers, but I now know the owners. Turns out one of them lives about 4 blocks from my home, and the other lives about 5 miles from my office. Small world. Just saw their newest speaker at the boat show. According to Duane, the paint was less than 24 hrs dry. The coolest part was a very sturdy quick disconnect to remove the speaker from the tower in about 10 seconds. Really easy. Also, the new setup, with two massive speakers, weighed only 21 lbs. Oh well, always something new to spend the cash. BKH
Livin' the Dream

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2008 at 12:51pm
Thanks for the heads up about the new quick connect Brian I am checking to see how much that is going to add to my speaker order the quick connect wasn't even an option last week and dealers still don't have a price on it. Maybe one of these years I will have to reverse my strict no boat show policy
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 9:41pm
Well got the new tower and speakers in the mail yesterday and they look pretty sweet.

As you can see from the packing material everywhere they did a solid job of packing.

They placed a hard PVC pipe around the outside of the pull to ensure it made it intact

This was just to give an example of the quality of the welds.

A couple shots of one of the NVS Tyrant Speakers.

Backing plates and fiberglass included with the tower for istallation.

Couple of shots with the speakers and the tower for reference and spacing.

So far I am very happy with the service, the shipping, and the intial feel of the products I will try to remember to report back when I really get to try them out.

-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 11:08pm
Sweet set up.You're more patient than I am,I'd already have that tower mounted in the bed of my truck with the speakers facing the back window.......but I'm a closet redneck .Be sure to get some pics up when it's all installed.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 11:09pm
Joe, that 2001 is going to be slamming balls. Thanks for the pic of the truck, gotta get one some day.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 1:03pm
Joe,
Those pics look like Christmas morning.
Bet it felt like that!
Can't wait to see the end results.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 2:50am
Thanks for the comments guys, this is one of those winters where I am not in a hurry for summer to get here since I have so much left to do on the boat(s), if it wasn't for having to keep the whole paying job thing to be able to afford the shop, parts, and tools it would all be easy...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic