NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old Spray and Waterski Mags!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Spray and Waterski Mags!
    Posted: September-13-2007 at 11:34am
I just hit the mother-lode of old waterskiing-related magazines. An old family friend who's family was very much into skiing in the 70's and 80's just gave me a giant box of "Spray" and "The Water Skier" magazines from about 1975-1982. Leafing through these mags is quite an experience- all the old MC, CC, American Skier, Supreme, etc. ads as well as the old articles and gear and classifieds! They even had a 1981 Bart's Watersports catalog tucked in there and a 1975 Nationals program. What a box of gems. When I get some time, I'll try to scan all of the ads. It's pretty crazy seeing all of these old boat advertisements describing "brand new" features and "amazing tracking and low wakes"! Very cool.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 11:47am
hopefully there were a few playboy's in the box, it is funny seeing those old mags from back then on how the times have changed and it still boils down to one thing, pulling a guy with a rope and on the next page they'll be advertising Marlboro and the add says your not a real skier unless you smoke Marlboro
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:11pm
What amazes me is that these guys are doing really impressive stuff even back then- There's Bob LaPoint ads describing the wake of the, say, 1980 Mastercraft at 38' off, or barefooters doing front-to-backs, back-to-fronts, back one-foots with the other foot over the rope and a thumbs up (a classic barefoot pose). The pics of slalom skiers show great form and HUGE walls of water. I don't know that we've actually come that far since then. There's one really cool CC ad showing the 1980 SN pulling a slalom skier through the course in front of the Calloway Gardens stands at the Masters, which is really neat.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:15pm
I wonder if that old guy who wears the yellow wetsuit and barefoots is still around,Oh sh*t that guy might be J-bear. I guess there were no other goodies in the box those are the days before silicone
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:38pm
How cool would it be if M3 tripped over an actual pic of 1 of our boats? Mine was rumored to be at Calloway...

Accidental provenance!

Neat find!

Eric, the playboy stuff from back then is on prime time tv now?!!?    
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 1:12pm
Eric, Banana George is still around. I saw him at Cypress Gardens a few months ago. He did a couple of pulls footin' and then came up and chatted with us for a few minutes.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 2:33pm
he's gotta be 75 or so,
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 2:39pm
Banana George is 92. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 2:47pm
i give him credit
Aemmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aemmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 9:05pm
Eric,
Time to get off the computer and back to work on my transmission. Oh, wait, it is probably already beer 30 over there.
88 2001
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 9:55pm
Nice score Joel. The Purdue ski office had a bunch of 80s mags I read them all the time. I did scan some stufff maybe I can find it.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:15am
As usual Brian is right on. I don't know how you do it.

I have seen Banana George foot (on the boom) a couple times in the past year. Always creates quite a stir when he shows up. Thanks for the props tho eric....I hope to be footin' for quite a while but probably not when I am 92.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 12:19pm
Aemmer, Its done, first thing monday morning, trued up your shaft and painted coupling, also trued up trans coupling, our secretary was bored so i let her rebuild it she didnt do to bad on her first one, she wanted to paint it pink and i wouldnt let her, I'll be in touch or give me a call when your ready, by the way we dont have a secretary i was just yanking your chain
Eric
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 3:04am
jbear, you will be footin' in heaven. Keep doing it!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 3:44am
Thanks Dude...there should be quite a crowd there doin' it with me.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Aemmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aemmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 4:24am
Thanks Eric,
I will call you Monday morning, or if you are in tomorrow shoot me an email and I will call. Out here in the liberal west we don't call them Secretaries we call them office assistants ( whatever, just so the coffee gets made). No pink paint, in fact better not let certain people on this site know I asked you to paint it black instead of PCM silver.      
88 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic