Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Slalom Boat EVER?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 2:19pm
My perspective is one of a 15 off lower speed skier.

Once I got the acme 422 on my 98 SN, what little bump there was at 15 off completely disappeared. Even better, my wife apologized when I got back into the boat because, due to rough conditions, she didn't get it up to the set speed on the perfect pass. We were running 30 mph with no longline bump. The acme was the difference as there was more of a bump that I'd expected with the stock four blade OJ. With the acme, the longline wakes of the 98 are very close to the TSC2 longline wakes (from what I remember of them), which I've long felt were nothing short of incredible. I think there's just a slight bit of bump at longline behind the TSC3 hull, but I've always be nothing but pleased skiing behind the 06 and up 196s. Spray wouldn't seem to be a factor for any of these hulls.

Apart from that, if you ever get the chance to ski behind a 1994 MC Pro Tour 190, there is supposedly a spray pocket modification on these boats that eliminates spray for 38 off skiers. The wake of this era of MC is wonderful, but spray was encountered on the previous versions after 35 off.

Additionally, the 95--97 Pro Star 190 or any variation of that hull, which was produced under one name or another, i.e. Sportstar 19, or 19 skier until 2003 are very good with only a slight bump and little if any spray to worry about.

I've skied behind a couple of Malibus (both RLx models) and they were fine, but at longline and lower speeds weren't exceptional.

The MC 197 is, overall, a good boat. But the bump at 15 off and lower speeds is a bit more pronounced than that of the TSC1, TSC2, or TSC3 hulls.

I realize that many skiers aren't worried so much about longline, but then there's the other 90% or so of us.

1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 2:30pm
I've skied a wide variety of new and older boats and the 97+ SN's can't be beat for longline skiers. No brand or model can touch that wake, hands down. I've skied them all at long lines and low speeds. 03,06,07 PS 197's, 97,01,04 RLX's, 07 RLXi, 99, 03 Sportsters, 90, 95 SN, 88 MC 190, 00 Infinity ZX1, and the list goes on and on. All these boats can get in line behind the TSC+ boats. I will say that I thought the 422 threw a bigger rooster than the stock OJ on my particular boat. It's far smoother though, so it will be staying on the boat for sure.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 2:35pm
Since Doug brought this topic back up, Ill chime in with my thoughts.

I havent skied a TSC3, but the slalom wake is supposedly unchanged from the TSC2. I think the TSC2 has slightly less rooster tail than the TSC1, but wake size is the same.

The '94 PS190 Ive skied behind has a beautiful wake, but lots of spray. You dont need to get into 35 off to notice it, especially in a headwind.

The '95 PS190 has a beautiful wake as well- I cant say for sure that its worse than the '94 PS190 or even the TSC2. No spray either.

The only recent Malibu Ive skied was a '01 Response LX. The wake was very small, but surprised me on how hard it was. The '88 Skier that a friend had threw a huge wake and lots of spray- though it did have the big block. Driving it was no fun either.

As far as driving goes, I have a strong preference for the seating position and handling of Nautiques. Each generation Ski Nautique hull has gotten successively better, but the 2001 forward boats all have a similar feel behind the wheel (my seat time in the older boats is very limited). Jumping into a MC or Bu has a completely different feel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 3:56pm
The reason I mentioned the 94 PT 190 is because of the supposed spray mod (described to me as a little hook in the spray relief pocket, which was otherwise the same as the previous 3 years of the 190). In my old 205, I pulled one of our club guys into 32 off and he said there was no spray there and I expect that the spray characteristics between the 205 and 190 of that era are pretty similar. In a headwind with an older boat though, all bets are off. I've been behind a 99 Supra and been hit in the face at 15 off in a headwind.

The newer boats have much longer spray relief pockets and knock it down early whereas the older MCs have this Firefox wall of water thing going on. The 94 PT supposedly knocked it down about 1 line length off the previous boat. But even that wouldn't compare to what they did in 95. The wake on the 95-97 is only a hint taller than the previous hull. Traded that for a better rough water ride. All of the older MCs strike me as narrow and just a bit firm.

You're right, the MCs don't drive like the CCs. Very different feel backwards or forwards. I'm getting very accustomed to it though. Never driven a Malibu.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by east tx skier east tx skier wrote:

Never driven a Malibu.

I must say, I enjoy the Malibus, especially the Response/RLX hull. It has to be one of the best driving hulls out there all around. Instantly on plane, tracks reasonably well, turns on a DIME. The Bu's are lifted so far out of the water on plane that it feels like only the fins and prop are still in the water. Very "floaty" feel which translates to agility and quick turning. All the newer boats from the big 3 drive great in their own ways but nothing sticks to the water like a CC. The CC feels like it's on rails in a straight line.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 6:42pm
I've enjoyed skiing behind them. One of our club members has a late model RLXi, so maybe some day, I'll get to drive one. The one negative comment I've heard about them is that they don't track quite as well, which was described to me as easy to pull off line. Not that that would be a problem with me pulling on a boat. The Malibus do seem to have less boat in the water at running speeds though. Probably why they can get those barefooting speeds easier.

But yes, nice boats. I've enjoyed a set or two behind a 99 and 02 RLX. Then the ski school I attend switched to SN.

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 9:24pm
I like the slalom wake on my BFN better then my Air. I know they are two completely different boats. Plus I have now where near the skill on a slalom that most of you guys. I slalom more for recreation than anything. It's a good work out. No where near the work out that footing gives you though. Sorry little off track there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic