NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VDO Tachometer Face Lift

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VDO Tachometer Face Lift
    Posted: September-02-2007 at 6:16pm
My tach is faded so my wife designed a decal for the VDO 403 face for my 87 SN 2001. I figure that the only option I had was to buy a new one so I am giving it a shot. I would post the final result once I get the vinyl decal but for know this is a preview. Which of the two design you like better? I order both but I would have to decide on one.

Regards,
Anthony

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2007 at 6:31pm
the one on the left
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2007 at 7:09pm
agree. left. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2007 at 8:55pm
Interesting!

I thought you guys would like the one on the right since it resembles the latest Nautique displays.
MarineSRT8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2007 at 10:12pm
I like them both. Im kinda torn between the two. I agree with anthony in saying that the right one does resemble the newer CCs but the left one hold true to older style....I say which ever one makes YOU happy do it!!!
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

OBXSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OBXSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 1:04am
Left. The other seems crowded / busy at the top. Plus, the larger logo is cool at the bottom. It is really cool that you can re-create those decals.

OBXski
'76 SN
'94 SN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 3:38pm
My wife is a wiz using Photoshop. We took a high resolution picture and sized everything. With that and using the picture she matched the font and the location of everything. Then we printed on paper and make sure everything match. I sent the picture to a bumper sticker shop. Is cheap, ~$5 each, The bumper stickers are 3" tall and that should be big enough for what I need. Let's see how the end product looks like. Also, I would have spares if anybody needs one.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2007 at 2:17pm
Just an update. Here is the end product. Thanks for giving the advice on which model you prefer. I think the effort was worth it and very inexpensive fix. It looks better than the picture. I have some sticker left of the model on the right if somebody needs one.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2007 at 3:59pm
Anthony, any tips for disassembling the VDO gauges? I have to do some work on mine, but its not obvious how they come apart.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2007 at 6:16pm
They definitely not built to be taken apart. What I did was with a small flat head screw driver I pry up the back of the metal ring. I went around and lift the edge. Did a little twist, like a cap, to loose the ring and it comes out. Then you can remove the glass and internal ring cover. On the back there are three bolts. Once the glass is out the hole tachometer comes out if you remove those three bolts. I removed the needle by slowly and carefully move the needle in the opposite direction. When I did that I hold the tach mechanism so I won't break anything. The face is removed by removing the two front bolts. I put everything back in place and used a round rod and a hammer to close the ring back in place. Beware that the ring is brass and is a really soft material. When you start closing the ring use very gentle taps. I broke part of the plastic casing because I was hitting it too hard.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 5:01pm
I would so order one of those that said 2001 at the top. Mines not bad but it would definatly look cool. Maybe ill just have someone make me a small 2001 decal and just pull the face and put it on.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 5:06pm
left
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 5:16pm
If you want I can make that. My wife desing consist of multiple layer and the "N" can be remove it and maybe I can put the 2001. It would look like the one the right with a 2001 or can be place at the bottom. I can use the 2001 from the decals I found in the reference. If somebody help me I can donate this drawings to the site. If that what you want let me know. I will do it and would post it. Any donations please make them to the site since I am learning so much that I feel I owe the CCFan community. Also, I have some extra ones with N on top. I pay $4.50 for each if you want let me know. I would send you for $5. It has 3 decals per bumber sticker. The trick is to cut them like a circle. I used a compass with an exacto knife.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 10:28am
Phatsat,
    Per your request I did another design with the 2001 on it. I sent all files to Keith and hopefully he will post them soon. Here is a preview on the available designs.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic