NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Still Running Strong w/148K miles

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 1:54pm
I always kept my tool boxes the size to where if i told my boss to f-off i could throw them in the back of a pick-up truck in one trip
eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

exactly matt, that's why I'm still thinkin Volvo, Infinity/Nissan....

Careful, Nate. Volvo = Ford. Infiniti/Nissan is a good bet, as is Lexus/Toyota.

Yeah i know, I've thought of that, but AWD + 300hp in a VOLVO just does something for me...hahaha

Tim did you end up getting rid of all those aftermarket parts for the Maxima we talked about a while ago?

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 3:38pm
by a sts or cts or cadilac fellows, then your talking style and performance....I had my brothers dts up to 118 with one hand on the wheel and holding a conversation like we were at 65
test drive one and you'll see what i mean

when i see a guy driving a volvo i think of the driver smoking a pipe and looks like sherlock holmes
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

Yeah i know, I've thought of that, but AWD + 300hp in a VOLVO just does something for me...hahaha

Tim did you end up getting rid of all those aftermarket parts for the Maxima we talked about a while ago?

Dont get me wrong, Id love to drive one- I just wouldnt want to own one. Similar to how I wouldnt turn down a pull behind a Mastercraft

Yup, all the parts are gone. I got top dollar for the car, so I gave them to the guy who bought it (Chris91SE on max.org).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 4:56pm
I can't stand the look of the new cadillac's, or really even the old ones, the only one I like at all is the CTS V, just basically because it's a 4door Corvette, but then i realize that i don't even like vette's, so that one's gone too. hahaha & if volvo's make you think ofsomeone smoking a pipe, caddy's have the same effect on me, but mroe along the lines of an old bluehaired lady weaving in & out of her lane b/c she can't see over the wheel.

I'll check out a few different cars before i get one, but even then, it's still at least a year or so off, I gotta finish school so i can go overpay for something i actually like..

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 5:26pm
You guy's and your Jap car "Kool Aid" make me want to puke! I have owned many Fords and GM's and have had good luck with all of them. Come on Timmy you know your going to get me going, is your boat a POS since it has a 351? No, Ford does not = poor quality any more than the Jap Mfr's!! Most all of the cars available today are pretty well built, foreign or domestic. My personal choice is to try very hard to support made in the USA by American Company's.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Come on Timmy you know your going to get me going, is your boat a POS since it has a 351?

Here we go again...

2 things:

1. If my boat doesnt start, I cant go skiing- but it wont keep me from getting to work on Monday.

2. The Windsor was one of Ford's better designs (it was made for over 30 years). With a carb and an 8-wire engine harness, its simple enough for me to troubleshoot and fix myself.

Id say that Ford's motors are generally more reliable than the rest of the car, but they havent been problem free either (I know a half dozen people who had 3.8 V6's with head gasket problems).

In general, cars are more reliable today than ever before. The gap between Japanese and American quality is shrinking as well- which I am glad to see. Im not biased in my decsionmaking- I just want the best my money can buy. Check the reliabilty of the 4Runner vs. Explorer/Durango/Trailblazer/Grand Cherokee and let me know if I made a bad choice. My family has owned both American and domestic over the last 20 years, and our experience has been much better with our Nissans than the Dodges or Ford.
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 6:20pm
As much as i would love to argue with tim.....Those Damn Nissans,toyota's,honda's ect, ect last even when you beat the sh*t out of them....I'm a chevy/ford man myself and love all of the muscle car's....hell i grew up with one starting at age 16,,,,,but i drive a Nissan Frontier back and forth to work and use my 89 K5 Blazer Silverado for pulling the boat to the lake and pleasure.......Ford 312 motor in the boat and it never misses a lick.

Although my ford Ranger with the 2.9 v6 in it was still going strong with 400k on it when i sold it, so.......... well maybe i can argue with Ya tim.........

Don't think this thread will ever get resolved???
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 6:21pm
[QUOTE=boat dr] Plymouth Grand Voyager; 3.8 V6 with towing package.Has pulled a Hobie Cat 18M all it's life, from Key West to South Padre Island Tx.
Long haul to Green Lake with '64 American Skier,2557 total miles. Average 15.4 mpg,drives greatand sleeps 2 in comfort..
Rolled her over to 245,000 on the way home with a CC in tow.Still uses no oil between changes. Castol 20/50 all her life.
Hope the stroker lives that long...........

Sometimes do not understand the mindset of the American public. Kinda like talking about our farmers with your mouth full,,,,,,
I own one of each,
1994 Plymouth grand voyager/245,000
1998 Chevrolet Z71 Xtended cab/195,000
2005 Ford Mustang 4.0 v-6/25,000
Other than routine maint. brakes and tires Has been money well spent.Best of all,some of you guys pushing Japmobiles should think about,My Money Stays In This Country.
I think the key is not FoMoCo or Chrysler or GM or Nissan or Toyota it is how well i maintain that ride.Do I treat her as well now as I did when she was new.......boat dr

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Best of all,some of you guys pushing Japmobiles should think about,My Money Stays In This Country.

I think the key is not FoMoCo or Chrysler or GM or Nissan or Toyota it is how well i maintain that ride.

I dont think anyone is pushing "Japmobiles" here- Im certainly not. I could care less what you spend your money on!

All the cars that my family has owned received great maintenance- in general the Japanese vehicles were less problematic and lasted longer. Im glad youve had good luck with your Voyager, but we had 2 Caravans ('87 and '96) and they were both turds

I believe someone here (BKH?) made a good point not too long ago- Why is it that some people get patriotic when it comes to the type of vehicle they choose to drive? Is the same discrimination made with every purchase that you make? What kind of TV do you own? Where was the computer made that youre typing on right now?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 7:01pm
jap cars last and american jobs dont, now we got the Chinese secretly poisoning lol eric
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 7:16pm
I have an '05 trailblazer, and I'm pretty sure the engine is a mitsubishi...best of both 'worlds'   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 7:22pm
I drive a GM but my girlfriend is Asian.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 7:41pm
Yeah definitely not "pushing japmobiles" by any means, but from the few cars I've owned to far & the numerous cars I've driven, I do tend to gravitate towards imports. And Are they really imports if they're made in plants in the US? How are they even considered Japmobiles then, except for their names...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 7:43pm
Wood
Any pictures?
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 7:44pm
I'm talking about the GM.
Guys, get your minds out of the gutter.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 8:28pm
Did I mention that I dropped a supercharged in my Mountaineer?

Ken driving to the grocery store

Ken
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 9:03pm
haha well if that's not a waste of a perfectly good supercharger.

& I'm not sure who's drinking any kool aid, but I've always been partial to that sweet sweet TANG

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 9:19pm

I believe someone here (BKH?) made a good point not too long ago- Why is it that some people get patriotic when it comes to the type of vehicle they choose to drive? Is the same discrimination made with every purchase that you make? What kind of TV do you own? Where was the computer made that youre typing on right now?

Timmy you little Freak of Nature,

Originally posted by Quinner Quinner wrote:

"My personal choice is to try very hard to support made in the USA by American Company's

And yes it can be tough to buy only Made in the USA but when it comes to a major purchase like a vehicle I will always drink the American "Tang".

BTW Nate, I think Tang is also Hollywoods GF's name.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 11:04pm
when you spend 50gs on a car compared to 1000.00 on a tv, that effects the economy a little more
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I drive a GM but my girlfriend is Asian.

HAHAHA- nice one HWood

I'm pretty surprised that a brand loyal bunch like you all are not more brand loyal when it comes to cars/truck. Maybe I'm wrong.
I've always been a Ford truck fan. I've owned one since I was 16 and have always had very good luck.

Ken- glad your Mountaineer is treating you well. With proper maintenance it should last you quite a while longer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 10:53am
I was a ford truck fan till i rode in a Duramax.....he popped the hood for me and i had a hard time telling it was a diesel, it ran smooth. it definitley didnt sound like a coffee perculator
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Ken- glad your Mountaineer is treating you well. With proper maintenance it should last you quite a while longer.

Thanks, Brad. Yup, just had a nice synthetic oil change yesterday, my truck is happy.

On a better note, I took out my 8 cylinder Nautique this morning and it ran strong.
Installed a new oil sending switch and I'm good to go.

Ken
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 8:29pm
Not exactly the same engine, but the body style is close enough. My wife's 6 cyl 97 Exploder just cracked 260K miles with little more than regular oil changes and a tune up at 110K. Surely due for another one, but at this point, we're extremely curious how it will end. The little truck starts like clockwork, sounds pretty awful, and runs like a champ.

Pulling the boat with it is a little dicey, but we've even done that in a pinch or three.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Aemmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aemmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 9:37pm
With three growing boys and half their soccer team I like my Suburban. I was in Russia a few months ago and had the pleasure of driving around in a new Lada. About as basic as it gets. You could still do your own maintenance on one of these rides.          
88 2001
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 4:58am

Tim, I think it was me who made that point.

I read in the paper the other day that Dodge is looking at importing a brand of small cars from China and sticking the Dodge name on them. (I was wondering to myself if they may be painted with lead paint like the toys imported by Matel...) They already assemble a majority of their cars in Mexico, heck, even their Hemi engine is built in Saltillo, Mexico.

While Dodge is looking for new and creative ways to cut jobs here in America,Toyota and Honda are creating jobs for Americans, building new plants in areas of our country that have been lacking jobs for years.

On the bright side, I read the other day that GM and Ford have seen a rise in sales for the last three years. Mostly attributed to the sale of cars overseas.

Check out this link:   Top ten USA Cars

Just as many Toyota as Ford and Chevy on the list.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 9:58am
Uh, east tx skier... is a congratulations in order here on the new nautique? What gives?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 12:40pm
My stable:
Ford F150
Ford Expedition
Ford 351 Nauti
Ford V10 F53 Chassis
(Throw in a Jeep Wrangler too!)

They've got the electronics, but on everything else, I strive for
MADE IN THE GOOD OL U.S. OF A. !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic