Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buffing or wetsanding- (new)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
keegan99usa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegan99usa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buffing or wetsanding- (new)
    Posted: August-07-2007 at 10:51am
I thought I would start a new topic devoted only to the questions I have concerning buffing and/or wetsanding. I will try to attach a picture of where the decals were on the hull sides near the back so you can tell how much discoloration there is. Please give your recommendation as to whether I need to buff, wetsand, polish, or all of the above. I'm guessing all of the above. The other side of the boat I did a small amount of wetsanding in this same spot with 1000 grit. It took only about 20 seconds to make the visible lines from the decals disappear.
Thanks again guys!
Dan

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 12:36pm
Try some good compound on a wheel and see if it brings the color back. If not, hit it with 1000 grit. Then use the compound (probably a course grit followed by a fine grit) and then polish. Just make sure that each step is coarse enough to remove the scratches left by the previous round.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 12:58pm
Only time to wetsand is if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegan99usa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 1:04pm
The only real scratches I've found is where the previous owner took off the old registration stickers. There it's scratched pretty good. i could see the old numbers on the black part of the hull also wher the old registration letters and numbers were. I guess i will try the buffing first and see how that goes.
Thanks
Dan
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Only time to wetsand is if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail.

I disagree. Sometimes the only way to remove oxidated/faded gelcoat is to wetsand. Obviously, restoring shine is a totally different story. Dan's gelcoat (above) will likely go much quicker by sanding. I had to get pretty aggressive with my gel as well.

Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 11:39pm
I agree with Tim. My boat was oxidized a lot worse than that, I tried buffing with super duty alone and it was not enough to get down to the shine... follow Tim's instructions above and finish with a good wax. use a high speed buffer with a heavy wool pad and some 3M super duty compound. then a finer compound, some polish, then some wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegan99usa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 2:58pm
Ok, I got the decals off, (what a pain), used a heat gun and then some sticker remover(for lack of a better term). i got out the buffer with the 3M super duty and hit a small area for a while, it really did not do much. Not sure how much you should really use at a time.
i wet sanded a small area with some 1000 grit, then polished with the Super Duty. That part looks pretty good. I will try and get the hutchins working with the wetsand paper and see how aggressive I can get. I will most likely try a smalll area tonight and then everyone is hitting the river, and since it's 90 and no wind, i will have to wait for the rest of the "work".
Thanks Guys
Dan
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by keegan99usa keegan99usa wrote:

i got out the buffer with the 3M super duty and hit a small area for a while, it really did not do much. Not sure how much you should really use at a time.

What kind of pad were you using? You can use the SD pretty liberally- work small sections (2'x2') at a time, and keep going over the same area until its pretty dry. It should cut pretty good- but judging by your pics Im guessing the 1000 grit paper is necessary anyways.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic