Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

64 Skylark

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lumiecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumiecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 Skylark
    Posted: July-02-2007 at 4:05pm
Been checking on a few items and hunting information. I currently have an outboard shifter/throttle handle on my boat which looks real tacky and just has to go. I do have a morse single handle shifter but after checking on how it attaches I found that my boat never had one attached to the side like I see on the others. What I did find was that (at least for the 66 model Skylark) the shifter was on the dash and the throttle was a foot throttle. Now the question is does anyone have a dash shifter, a picture of one installed or not or a diagram of one or all the above. Also for the 66 model Skylark the front seats were seperate buckets and not the fiberglass bench like mine has. Though mine has the proper supports on the sides to attach the fiberglass bench. The 66 Model says that the rear seat is a fiberglass bench. I have never seen one like that? I really need some help here to get this boat back to it's original spec's. I need a proper front fiberglass bench that is sea foam green like my boat. More blueish to me. I also still need a center mount ski pole and rear lifiting ring. Please Please Please help. I do want if available a 64 brochure for the Skylark so I can see exactly what was available, what it actually looks like and what is wrong with mine, looks wise.

Pete
lumiecraft

PS My morse shifter is working fine. I guess I may just attach that but that would require cutting and I don't really want to do that if I don't have to do that. Dash shifter anyone?

Check the 66 brochure to see what I am talking about. It also looks like the ski pull is in the back like mine is for the ski version of the skylark. It also comes with a bigger V6 for the ski version. I am going out now to check my tag.
If you don't get it, be patient, you will.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 4:46pm
Pete,

Here are a few skylark pictures that might help. I was wondering after looking at your pictures earlier about it having a Morse rather than shifter and pedal. I thought maybe the hole for the shifter lever is under that little switch panel you have. I am guessing the pedal and shifter are not going to be easy to find, but if you keep looking you might.

The old mustangs and skylarks did have a little platform for the rear seat cushions (see picture 3) Again, may be tough to find. As an alternative you can have a single thicker seat cushion/bottom made and just set that in. Thats what I have in my Tique. (somewhat visible in picture 4)

Yes, your skylark did have two buckets. Looks like someone moved the bench back over from a skier or some other model. The skylark pictured here shows the original seats, (reskinned in black) with the passenger seat turned around.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumiecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 5:11pm
Thank you sooooooooooooo much for those photos. Someone else here was doing seats with frames like those. Does anyone remember which post? I need those for my neighbor so he can fabricate some for me. SS if I can. He is good and not to pricey. Now for that shifter? I could use that for a visual and make one. I could cast a knob and drill and tap it for a handle and have a shaft out the back and attach it on the back side of the dash. Mmm, will give that some thought. Foot throttle is easy to fabricate if needed. I was wondering if a hand throttle could be included to over ride the foot throttle or to work together. I'd like to have hand control when coming to dock side. Where to put it out of the way but within easy and save reach. Interesting thoughts. I will get back later on that. Now about that rear glass section. I could use my existing center section as a template and make a new glass base to fit. Mmmmmm. Those photos got the brain kicked into high gear. That's good. Anyone have a Skylark emblem for sale. Or I could for a decent fee borrow one to make a casting template from and cast a new one and then use that casting as a template to make other if needed. Think that is a good idea? I even thought of a floor shifter like some other models have. I like the dash shifter better.

Thanks
lumiecraft
Got loads of aluminum sheet from an old boat to make stuff with. Big flat sections. Used to rebuild an old aluminum boat. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumiecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 5:30pm
Another interesting item to mention. My boat has that center section and I'd guess that the center section would have the ski pole hole and pole mount under the floor board. It is a mount that holds the pole with a bolt through the bottom of the pole. Now if my boat did not have a center fiberglass bench why would I have a pole mount that would fit exactly below under the deck. Were these mounts just put in regardless of what actually went into the boat. I guess the hull was made before it was decided what version the boat would be so if that is the case then these parts would be present in the hull if it was decided that the hull would be a Skylark or Mustang or what ever. Seems logical to me now that I think about it. With that. If I were to pull the center bench and put in Buckets like the above photos how would one mount a center Ski Pole and have it secure so I't cant bend or move? I still want that center pole and a proper rear lifting ring. Many questions.

Thanks everyone for all your help to date. I love reading the information. It has helped sooooo much.

lumiecraft
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 5:32pm
As for the foot throttle,my 64 Am. Skier has the same set up,dash shifter and I used a Hot Foot off a modern bass boat.Kinda looks out place but far safer in function and use.
My dash shifter will be easy to reproduce,kinda mickey mouse as to how the cable is attached on the back side.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumiecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 5:43pm
From the 66 Brochure. Skylark Ski Version.

Sure looks like the ski line is stopping at the stern rather than in the middle of the boat to me. If that is the case then maybe my ski ring is in it's proper place for the version of the boat it is. Seems odd but this clearly shows that the ski line is attached at the stern.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 6:02pm
Jim in Houston is the guy who designed the aluminum seat bases. Do a search on his name. Jim posted drawings of his base, and photos of the completed product. BKH
Livin' the Dream

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 6:13pm
I thought perhaps because the skylark was sold more as a runabout than a ski boat, it would not come with a pylon. However, (and this is 1966, I can't speak for 1964) a pylon (referred to below as a ski pull) appears to be an option.
skylark options

Since they specifically don't say pylon or pole, I thought that this might refer to some hardware for the stern rather than a pylon, but you can see they also offer the "clearance bar" which is an associated accessory to a pylon to keep the rope from getting hung up on transom hardware. So apparently a pylon was an option for the skylark. I think the tow ring on your stern was an add on by a previous owner.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumiecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 6:23pm
I agree that the pylon was an option because of the clearence bar offered. However I think the ski ring I have is original I am just missing the pylon. My question is how does a pylon attach to the boat. I will have an interesting photo of my deck. Looks like it could be a pylon attachment point of some sorts or another. If you happen to know let me know.

As for the pull ring, I think mine is original because the plyons are quite fat with a large hole in the middle for the ring to screw into. That is kind of how mine is. I need that pylon and hull attachment so I can install a ski pole. Yes I am going to pull the kids. I will post a link to that photo.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumiecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 6:43pm
Check out the pylon attachement photos low on the page. This is only speculation that it is a pylon mount point. What do you think? Does it look like the mounts for a center unsupported pylon? What do you think? Or is this a seat mount for a fishing seat? This boat was used at one point for a fishing boat. Uggg.

Photo's

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 6:50pm
Here are Jim in Houston's detailed seat drawings. BKH

Seat Base Drawings
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumiecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 7:18pm
Thank you. That is what I needed to get my hands on.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 4:45pm
Lumiecraft,
I have a dash shifter and foot pedal on my 62 classic. I was concerned when I bought the boat that the foot throttle would be a pain in the ass. It isn't. It is no longer a priority to put in a hand throttle.

If I can safely remove the shifter and the F-N-R buttons this fall, I'd let you use them to have copies made.

For a non-stock, but period correct foot throttle, I've always been partial to Moon's petals Moon Foot Pedals
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 5:24pm
Here is a pretty clear pic of my setup. I believe it is original.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumiecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 12:59am
I have a foot pedal I can clean up and use. Now, I like that steering set up you have there. Much different than what I have. I have the cable style. I do have a steering box from an old 1960 Century Resorter. The tube is toast but the box is useable. Now to figure out how to set something like that up. Keeps that dash nice and clean. From what I have seen it looks like many dash setups are so varied that it's hard to say exactly what is stock. The orientation of the gauges are so different and the style of gauges are different. Mine are SW gauges laid out different. Your dash set up is very nice.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 1:20am
Steve is right about the gas foot pedal. Ive got one in my 64 , along with a floor shifter. I wouldnt even think about changing it! Btw... the gas pedal is a "rocker" (foot/heel) type... here's a pic of mine right after I bought the boat...

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumiecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 4:35am
After careful consideration and investigation the pedal I have is not going to be of any use. I will begin hunting for one to use. I will check to see if any mounts are hidden behind the floor board tomorrow. I am going to make a removeable mount for my morse so I can continue to use the boat without that ugly outboard control and give me time to locate and secure the needed as close to stock items as I can find for the boat.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic