Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Temp/Starting???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mrbrewcrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbrewcrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Temp/Starting???
    Posted: June-21-2007 at 11:17pm
Hello all. I have just got my hands on an '80 Nautique that I took out for the first time the other night. Upon unloading, the boat started really hard, but eventually fired up. We got out on the water and it ran like a top. I noticed the temp gauge was creeping up at cruising speed (30mph) to around 190-200, but then it would go down to around 160-170 when we slowed down. Doesn't seem like an impeller problem. Anyway, I shut it off and that was it. It cranked hard a couple of times, but then just acted like the battery was dead after a couple tries. Had a new battery on hand and same story. What could this be. Where should I start before going to the mechanic. The boat has a new starter, solenoid, and cables. Connections?? Also, how hot should this thing run. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 11:28pm
mrbrewcrew,pull the spark plugs, sounds like you got water coming in thru the risers or the manifolds are cracked ,could be a leaking riser gasket. pull all the plugs and spin it over,if you find water, you found the problem...........boat dr

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 11:30pm
First thing I would do is to warm it up again and pull the spark plugs , crank it and see if water comes out of some cylinders . Sounds like hydro lock to me . But I am deffinatly not an expert. Check oil to see if it has gone way over full or if it looks like chocolate milk
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2007 at 1:09pm
my '80 runs 150 degrees tops.
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2007 at 3:40pm
Hey,

I had an impeller that dry rotted and all the fins came off. The engine was struggling to start and finally the raw water pump locked up and smoked the belt. Packed my stuff up and went home. When I opened the pump up the impeller was shredded. I found pieces of the impeller in a lot of the hoses.

Check your impeller and hoses for impelller parts. You may have some old impeller parts that have moved to the thermostat housing or back to the transmission cooler.

I would change the impeller and buy a spare just to be on the safe side.

Clew In
Clew In
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2007 at 3:44pm
Hey,

Also, I was talking with the skidim folks when buying a thermostat and they said if the engine temp gets over 180 shut it down. Call them they are a great help.

Clew In
Clew In
SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2007 at 4:46pm
Do you have any history on the motor? Did you buy the starter, or the previous owner? I have had problems with starters, and slow cranking, pulling to many amps, and roasting wires. Possible bad rebuild on starter...
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic