NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

velvet drive "trolling valve"

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
michigan dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: velvet drive "trolling valve"
    Posted: April-18-2007 at 11:24pm
Maybe someone here (Eric) can educate me on what a "trolling valve" is on a velvet drive and how to install one. I would love to slow down my trolling speed to 1.5-2 for the great lakes fishing Maybe this isnt even a good idea but I was wondering.   

thanks   dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
351ci- 14x13 four blade acme
south haven mi.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 7:47am
they are not offered for your normal BW inlines and v-drives, they may offer one for a 5000 series, the are more prevalant on Twin Disc and ZF transmissions for light to heavy applications. What they are is a valve that will dump oil pack pressure and allow the clutch pack to slip for slower prop speeds, you can operate them up to 1100 or so rpms, after that the clutches cannot dissapate heat quickly enough and will burn the pack, Believe or not it does not hurt the clutches if used properly, typically you can only use them on bronze clutch plates.

If you could install one on your boat they are great for 2 reasons, trolling and docking the boat the only thind especially on diesel boats at low idle, the torsionals tear the hell out of the trans
"the things you own will start to own you"
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 2:52pm
put the stock 14x11 prop back on , turn idle down to 500 rpm in gear , mine will troll real slow , I have to bump it up a bit to get 5-6 mph trolling for grouper with downriggers and plugs
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 3:01pm
Thanks guys for the responses, this place is full of good resources.   dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 8:00pm
Do you guys use those things you throw over the side to slow the boat, i dont know what they are called.
Dave, gearing up myself for some western basin Walleyes pretty soon, we use dipsy divers anything else would confuse the hell out of us...we keep the down riggers in the cabin
"the things you own will start to own you"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 8:22pm
Those are called sea anchors, I have one and tried it last fall with very limited sucess. I am just going to have to find faster fish to catch Im afraid. hhehe

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic