Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Great Day

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Great Day
    Posted: March-25-2007 at 10:17pm
Generally this time of year I'm locked in my office like many others trying to finalize my taxes.
Sometimes you get an unexpected break. Saturday morning I was suppose to meet my contractor at the lake. I was not surprised when he called me to let me know he would be a few hours late. At first I was a little put out. However, being 9:00 am and it was already 72 degrees it didn't take long to decide to pull the boat out of storage and prep it for the first run of the year.
After putting in the new impeller, draining the the anti freeze and general inspection, in the water she went. It took a few turnovers to get the fuel in the carb, but then viola! I only went out for a short cruise, guess I felt a little guilty, but I'll get over it!
Typically I don't pull the boat out till early May, but this year the boy's are itchin' to go footin', so I thought like a good Scout, and am prepared.
Here's hoping everyone get's good boating weather soon. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 11:07pm
Danny, good day for sure. We hit 80 today and I worked a little harder on my boat today. Also did some yard work and got the backyard fountain running, the patio stuff out and opened all our windows. Yes, a great day!
Scott
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 8:19am
Hit 85 in Atlanta on Sat aand pulled out the boat and got her all loaded up and ready to go. My 11 year old daughter was anxious to kneeboard. SPumped the throttle a few times and started to turn her over. She did for a few times, then puffed once then the starter refused to go anymore. I charged the 1 yr old battery full but still no turn over. I hope this isn't a sign the starter is bad. I and my daughter deeply disappointed.OH BOY! here we go!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 8:48am
Scott, sounds like you had a full day of honey do's. Not always a bad thing.

Morfoot, I feel your pain.

We've all had that kind of kick off to the season at one time or another. I usually involve the the kids in the prep but try not to get anyones hopes up for any extras. Typically if all goes well I consider it a bonus and run with it.

Good luck and quick repairs to you. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 7:59pm
Morfoot does it click when you turn the key, or what is happening? Did you get it fixed yet?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 6:04am
Yes James I get the proverbial click and nothing else. It sounds like a dead battery but it ws just replace last year. May end up taking it to auto zone for testing. Haven't tried putting a volt meter on it to see what it is doing. I didn't mess with it at all yesterday but going to try turning it over today. Starter is 19 years old do you think it's too pooped to party?

Foot
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 8:07am
Not very scientific, but I have had a similar problem in the spring. Starter just needed a little encouragement. A few taps with a hammer on the end of the starter loosens something up and it goes. May not be your problem but it has worked for me in the past. However, I think it is a sign of a dying starter as I am looking at a new one this spring, based on last falls experiences.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 8:59am
I like my weather, and don't think I'd trade it. Still, I think that you guys in cold weather states enjoy a certain anticipation and excitement leading up to the season which we just don't get here. Guess the grass is always greener. Enjoy your early spring. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 9:50am
Hey Larry! Now there is an idea. An ATTITUDE adjustment. I'll have to try that. Does it work on wives too?
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 10:34am
Watch out Morfoot- with comments like that, I will be reading about you in the AJC one of these days! Man ran over by wife while working under his boat.
Greg

86 BFN
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 12:58pm
My starter quit last summer I was on the lake and it clicked a couple of times so I hit is with a wrench and then fired up so we headed to the dock. While I backed the trailer in my cousin shut the boat off and then it would not start.

If the hammer fixes it beware that it could only be temproary. I would pull it off and take it to a starter shop. They will hook it up and tell you what is wrong with it.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 1:54pm
I'm not sure I'd consider "A Great Day" being run over by your wife, but then again I don't know your wife.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 2:03pm
All I asked was could you use the same "ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT TOOL" on my wife. Man you guy's are rough!

NOTE! I DO LOVE MY WIFE.

Foot
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 2:21pm
Morfoot-
I used the hammer trick on my 88 Chevy truck for six months but I wouldn't gamble with that trick on my boat. I just took the starter for my '85BFN in for rebuilding. I've got a good rebuilder that does a lot of marine starters. The back end parts rust and will work for a while (with the hammer) but it won't last long. Find a good rebuilder and make sure he uses anti-sieze on the parts.
Good Luck and enjoy some liquid "attitude adjustment" while the pros rebuild your starter.
Great looking boat!
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 2:25pm
Tim, Keith, Ken and cameraman, Brad, Lost Lake, Groton, MA 2006. Doesn't get any better than boating, then some Sam Adams!!!

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 2:27pm
Hey duffnit,
Happy 40th Birthday tomorrow, 3/28
Welcome to the 40's. Ten more years until middle age.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 5:36pm
Morfoot, the BFN gave me that problem last spring. Had a new battery and everything, all it did was click. I trickle charged the battery for 12 hours and it fired right up. Better to charge the battery all the way up then spend all that time pulling the starter off you don't have to.
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 5:38pm
Why do the beers still have the tops on them?
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 6:03pm
You know Chris I was wondering the same thing.......

Okay. I check the battery and get 13.08 volts with no draw on it. I checked to make sure I had voltage to the start solenoid and do. Okay Put + on the output of solenoid to starter and - to block. Turn the key and get the usual click. Voltage is 3.80 volts. Okay, I felt the solenoid and its a we bit warm which I think is normal but shouldn't I get 12 volts when attempting to crank. I say the solenoid is bad but don't want to start shotgunning parts at it. It did turn over on a couple of days ago so Hmmmmmmmmm. I did clean up the battery posts and cables. Little corrosion but not enough to worry about. What do you guys think???    Foot
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 6:27pm
The 3.8 volts seams odd, I think the sol. could be bad, shame you don't live close. Have three or four on the shelf as spares for 79 F150 and F250. They never go bad so long as you have a back up. Did you try jumping it out, that would tell you if it is good or bad. Make the the connection physically, if it turns off sol. is bad.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 10:56pm
Be sure to use craftsman screwdrivers when jumping across that way if they arc bad then you can return them no questions asked.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 10:58pm
Thanks Steve! I'm thinking 40 is the new 30. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Poster112, 'cause Hollywood hasn't shown up with the PLC boys....yet.

Morfoot, FWIW check the voltage at the battery with a load ie; (lights blower radio horn) in other words create a load on the battery. If the voltage drops to say less than 11 volts, check the battery. If the battery only drops to say 12 to 12.5 volts, check the solenoid.
I had what was a fairly new battery go bad in my work truck. It took me a few tries before I realized it was the battery. Turned the key on, voltage dropped, turned the key off, voltage went up. At first I thought I had a short, and or bad solenoid too, but as I stated it was the battery.   
Also double check your power connections, including the ground.
Good Luck! d

Danny

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 7:46am
Just an update on the problem and fix.........
So I take the battery to Autozone to check it out and it checks out okay. Figure the solenoid or starter. I figure the starter would be easier to eliminate as it can be bench checked. I pulled it out and I hear a set of maracca's playing and figure Ooooh that can't be good. Remove the rear cover plate of the starter and the guts come falling out. The armature had decided it was time to die, came apart and took out the entire the ceramic insulator with it. Turned it up to get a good look inside and stuff kept coming out. Checked the price at NAPA and got a reman. one from Skidim $30 cheaper.( THANKS GUYS!).................................. Guess I know its not the solenoid.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 7:57am
Sounds like that could cause the problem. Hope that's all & she fires right up. Good to know that Skidim has a better price. We will be driving thru your hometown this weekend for the spring break madness. My boats start to come out when I get back!
Greg

86 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic