NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Announcing www.Fifteenoff.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Larry,

Gotta love the shades while skiing!

Figured they would rate a comment. Actually they are swimming goggles. I am blind as a bat and wear contacts. After having several wash away, I started wearing the goggles. Looks dopey but saves on eyewear costs.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

What are you refering to when you say "open up the arms or I don't open myself up towards the shore"? Can you elaborate on that a bit. thanks

regarding the arms,
I mean, let the elbows go..don't compromise the shoulders, but let the arms be an extension of the line, with the mildest of bends.

I can't see that pic till later, but I have a good idea what it looks like. I'll check tonight.

I' don't recommend changing the binding position till technique is further remedied, else I've seen some hard falls.

it's going to be hard to weight that front foot when the hips are 'broke', and your cg falls back. With one leg extended and one contacted, one has little fore-aft flexibility below the waist; so the flexibility comes from where it shouldn't, the back.

Try it just standing..ski stance..one leg locked high. sux. Alternatively, skootch down, rotate the hips forward, no, really forward. bend both knees about 25 degrees. Your fore-aft balance changes from upper body to lower body. You should be able to lift either foot of the ground 1/2" with virtually no body adjustment.

You shouldn't see much motion, all this rowing and shifting and breaking...the knees should compress and flex, but the rest is remarkably static.

I'm a proponent of strong-foot forward. Unfortunately most beginners are encouraged to put the strong in the back and its just one more thing to overcome. I also suggest looking where you want to go...the body will follow. that is about 30' ahead of the next bouy so you can make the apex before the bouy, not at it or beyond.

You have a couple things to overcome regarding speed. Try 2-3-4 more free skiing.
Focus more on correcting body position on the cuts rather than the turns. right now your bleeding off too much speed on the pre-turn, combined with lower boat speed, the mind want's to shorten itself to lower cg, hense break at the wiast, like taking a turn on a bicycle at too low a speed, you get all twisted tilting the bike while trying to stay more upright.. add a little speed and the bike-body are more in sync.

That broken, low-speed turn now compromises your following cut because your azz is skiing behind you and you now have to reel it in...too late, one's already hitting the wake and falling apart again.

Carrying more speed into the turn, bleeding it off with pre-turn, keep you hips forward though the arc, if you want to get lower, do it with the knees, not the back; setup is better for the next cut, tilt back, hips pushed up high. It feels like you hips are above your ears, but they're really not (yet).
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 3:46pm
One more thing, consider not observing a 39.5 off skier skiing at 39.5 off for technique.. they're at the top of they're game: breaking, dunking, hooking to get that next bouy. Unless you want to be breaking, dunking, hooking to get 30mph 15 off. Then there's nowhere to go, you'll be at top of your game.

Now, watch a 39.5 off skier at 32 mph, 15 off, that is your bullseye. Seamingly Effortless. Like watching someone saltwater flyfish, or telemark ski, looks so placid but inside the intensity is $@%%^$@line!@%@##?cast^&%#^&%WIND%^^&%A$KNEESINMYFOREHEAD&*^&*^%ARGHHH&*^$#^$
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 10:20pm
Joel, great site and good thread here!
Tom, your advice is exceptional.
Thanks!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
roadkingpuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadkingpuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 12:10am
G-Ski, In your experience what is the best routine for making the next shorter line length? It seems that once you get 15 off consistently, 22 off is not a huge hurdle. But 28 off is definitely a new ball game. Is it better to shadow the early part of the course and make the 4,5,6 balls; or the reverse, make the early balls and shadow the last part of the course (assuming one is still on the water, not in the water)? It is amazing how added speed and less rope can instantly humble a skier. But it is addicting.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 5:51am
Hmm. Well there's nothing like a great entrance and an early ball 1. But one must keep the amplitude wide so you can maintain keeping that apex pulled back and not loose that advantage.

well if one's trying 28 in the course, one best be free skiing at 32 off, 34 or 36 mph prefereably. Also no advantage going to shorter lines if your boat speeds are still under 34 mph. Read- Transition to 15 off 34 mph before samping 22off at 32. Compromised form at slower speeds won't automatically develop to shortline skills at reduced speed, making the transition to shorter lines, harder, more abrupt, read dramatic spills. Short line length will produce speeds by itself, one best be preparred as one can.

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 6:18am

you have some good intensity going, I can tell by the water you are putting up in the preturn. We just have to harness it.

I hope that speed you are burning off is from your main cut, and not from a double-pull ( a second pull after the wakes),
If you are indeed double pulling, one must stop, and rely on the momentum achived from the pull both prior and through the wakes; Post-second wake, rotate to flat and into the pre-turn. Don't fret if your amplitude isn't there yet, it will come.

Notice how your back leg is locked up, the front is just floating. The ski is to the side of you, but the rope is about to tighten again; you havn't rotated through the turn far enough to align your body to the rope and use body leverage for the next cut, You'll have to muscle out of that turn. Your legs should be comming around to be pointed back at the boat.
At the moment the picture is taken, momentum is still being burned by putting water in the air vs carrying you out of the turn. [too much deceleration]

The water should be breaking just in front of the front toes. Reversing your weight distribution will slam more of that ski in the water. Look at your ski, it has a natural rocker to it; you get that down in the water and that arc will be making the turn for you vs that rear foot tailstand.

The more surface area will also preserve more momentum out of the turn, to help rotate through and be aligned for the next pull, er, push. That is where your amplitude will come from, a cut that begins early and is maintained through both wakes. You'll now be at max acceleration where one used to be 'recovering' from their turn.

I may be in err but the speed looks a little low for your intensity and mass.
If you want to run course at 32 mph, best free ski at 34. 34, freeski at 36. don't exceed 36.

For years I would start the year at 15 off, go to 22 mid season, dabble in 28 last few outings; well that cement-capped progess. Nothing accelerated progress like some corrected form, and pushing oneself to dabble in the next speed and line length before one thinks the prior is mastered, because lingering makes undoing the compromised form even harder.

Guys try to also get some pix of the cut right before the first wake, in the trough; that is very telling and worthy of discussion.

Get out there soon and rip it up.

River Rat to Mole
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 11:05am
After reading all this great information, I have come to realize that I have been skiing with absolutely horrible form for 30 years. No wonder my lower back always hurts. Total tail dragger with strong leg back, bent arms etc.... I need a total ski makeover.

Thanks for all the help !!

Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 11:19am
GottaSki words where I completely understand what he's talking about. I've watched some videos and had a few years of quality instruction from great skiers at Purdue but this thread seems to really speak to me, maybe it's because I'm itching to get back out on the water???
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I've watched some videos

I have as well, but then my wife found them, threw them away and made me go to marriage counseling........ Oh, different kind of video, my bad.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 11:58am
GottaSki, you are a great coach. It takes a lot of talent to cull that much info out of a still frame. I never heard the advice about free skiing at the next shorter line length. Something new to try this spring. Our season kicked off last weekend, couldnt be soon enough.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 12:19pm
Thanks for the kind words,
teaching is almost as much fun as skiing, more especially the kids.

Yes, pushing your envelope free skiing, can make the course seem slow, if you can imagine.

River Rat to Mole
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 12:29pm
You know, free skiing seems to be where I have the hardest OTF falls over the wake. It's almost like I need the course to look in the right places and know when to turn. When I free ski, I'm typically all over the place, not getting angle, and getting in all kinds of trouble. I'll try it more this year but for the past couple years I've always skied my best in the course. I suppose that's probably pretty odd.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 12:31pm
Let me also say this- when going to a shorter length free skiing, I'll subconciously wimp out on the cuts across the wake. It's like my mind is putting the brakes on because, at say 28 off, the "whip" cracks so much harder. Because of this, the wake feels huge and kills me.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 12:33pm
M3, that is odd. This may be where the progressive instruction of Gordon Rathburn's 12-drill video may be advantageous, each elemental skill builds on the previous skill, and may get you out of that dilema and moving onward.

I think it may be best to stay away from 28 off till you've progressed well to 34 mph, at least.
Get a fresh start and you'll be able to handle the speeds, either from boat or line, keep that ski on edge, maximizing pull in the wake and ski will slice through vs bounce up, that wake will shrink in time and become just a another bump.
If the legs are not put in line with the rope, the wake will cause a for/aft moment when the rope goes taught, combined with the sudden decel of going flat on the wake and spooning the tip of the ski, that throws you out the front,

When you're all lined up, hitting the wake just accelerates you more because the shock just follows the skelaton and can get absorbed with a little knee and transferred back to the rope and ski.

River Rat to Mole
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 4:29pm
Joel,

Congratulations on your site. I'll certainly need some tips. I'm still trying to accomplish the slalom course at zero off. That's been a goal of mine to complete the course. My weak side is very weak!!

Ken
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 4:49pm
Ken, we'll get you there, no problem.

Would anyone who gave advice on this post mind if I post it on my site under a new blog entry?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 6:50pm
Joel,

Our lake opened up today, when are we getting that course out? I am planning on putting the boat back together and cleaning it up this weekend.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 7:04pm
   What's a slalom ski?course?Seriously,I don't ski,just wakeboard,but this is an excellent thread.Makes me want to try it.GottaSki you've obviously been doing this a while.Congrats on the new site Joel,I'll check it out.You guys will have me up on one in no time .

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 7:44pm
M3Fan, thats fine with me.

River Rat to Mole
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Joel,

Our lake opened up today, when are we getting that course out? I am planning on putting the boat back together and cleaning it up this weekend.

Quinn, I'm out of town next week but after that, let's drop the course in your place and give it a rip. Next weekend OK? 3/31 or 4/1?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2007 at 8:13am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

[QUOTE=quinner] Next weekend OK? 3/31 or 4/1?

Brrrrrrr!!!!!!!! (I guess I must be getting old...20 years ago I would have been right there with you...today...not so much) Anyway, good luck and have fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic