NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

97 Sport Nautique Rudder issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AussieNorts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 97 Sport Nautique Rudder issues
    Posted: March-16-2007 at 11:53pm
Hi guys,
            First of all would liuke to say that this site is a wealth of information, especially for an Aussie guy with a 97` Nautique. There is not much help or even access to parts over here. Anyway i had an issue with my rudder being able to rotate too far, enough to hit the prop. Not major damage, prop needs maching. I puller out the fuel tank and removable floor to look at the problems. I noticed when steering wheel is full lock to starbord the rudder turns fine to lock then you can pull the steering cable clamp a little and id rotates the tiller arm enough that if you turn the wheel to port the rudder continues turning the first way. I disconnected th etiller arm from the cable and the steering is free and easy. The rudder however had vibration too it when rotated. Small slithers of brass came out when i removed the rudder. My question do i need to replaced the steering cable clamp? And how do you suggest i get some packing for the rudder shaft?
Correct craft.....is there any other boat?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2007 at 10:31am
First of all let me say I don't know anything about the newer boats.However when I did mine I used the same packing as the prop shaft,and you should be able to get that at any good marina
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2007 at 9:22pm
I had an older boat (1959 Chris Craft) that used a stuffing box very similar to the one that the proppeler shaft uses. And yes, this type uses the same wax impregnated rope type packing material that propeller shaft packing gland uses. Newer boats (not sure what year this started) use a different type seal for the rudder shaft. It has a plastic or rubber seal (not exactly sure as I've never had one of theses apart) which is encased in a brass or bronze body. It's lubricated via a zirt fitting and a grease gun. Either way, it sounds like your rudder is lacking lubrication and has been for some time.

As far as the rudder turning too far in one direction,.... it sounds like either your cable is grossly out of adjustment or there is a mechanical stop (that limits the amount of rudder turn) that is broken. Starting from the center and using the steering wheel, how far will the rudder turn in the opposite direction?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2007 at 11:15pm
It turns to a point then if you rotate the steering cable clamp a little and turn the wheel in the oppositite direction the rudder continues moving in the same direction it was initially going. I think i need a new steering cable clamp.
How much `play` should there be around the rudder shaft to the top of the packing nut?

I thank you for your input.
91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2007 at 11:38pm

Aussie,
BLA is your freind in AUS, stores all over the country or online purchase,

Is this the part you are refering to? BLA code 280526,they will have the shaft packing as well.

store locater link here

http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=dealers&dId=1&eId=10&sId=ef51af1e3ddf74a5f1c52332f3390e73
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2007 at 12:18am
That is no it i am after the control arm clamp that holds the control arm to the tiller arm that adjusts rudder throw.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2007 at 12:39am

This it? BLA part no 280557
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2007 at 1:52am
No the next clamp towards the bow clamps steering cable to hull. I think it may be a CC part.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2007 at 1:55am
It is Item#2404 on skidim.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2007 at 2:04am

Sorry the first pic I threw up was the mountball that the clamp you are refering to clamps around,theres no listing in their catalog for it but you can get them at BLA.

If you have the ball,and threaded ally pipe in the first pic I threw up are you sure the ball isnt stripped or cracked?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2007 at 2:08am
Originally posted by AussieNorts AussieNorts wrote:

It is Item#2404 on skidim.com

Thats BLA part no 280538,and if your setup is the same as mine its the wrong part
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 10:24am
It seems to me that the rudder tiller arm is not mounted on the rudder in the proper position. With the rudder straight ahead, the tiller arem should be perpendicular to the rudder. The helm should then be centered from lock to lock. Next clamp the torque tube into the cable block. Problem should be gone.

Inspect the rudder port and rudder shaft for excessive wear and replace either or both if necessary. The rudder can handle a fairly large amount of tolerance wear in this area. The rudder packing gland is probably the same as the prop shaft and thus uses the same size rope.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 4:56pm
Ok, i have repacked the rudder and greased the rudder shaft and fitted everything back in, the reason this happened in the first place is because the cable block was grossely out of alignment. I reset everything and all is good. Steering smooth as and wheel is centred now. Just have to reinstall the fuel tank and all is good. DavidF can you recommend a prop (size&pitch) for a sport nautique 97` i use it to wakeboard and therefore weigh the boat down a bit. I was looking for hole shot and fuel economy. I would like to say again this site is great! would never have attempted this job without the reference of this website, now i am not scared to try other stuff.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by AussieNorts AussieNorts wrote:

DavidF can you recommend a prop (size&pitch) for a sport nautique 97` i use it to wakeboard and therefore weigh the boat down a bit. I was looking for hole shot and fuel economy.

Do you wakeboard exclusively? How much weight exactly?

Depending on your answers, Id say either the Acme 470 (12.5x15 3-blade) or Acme 1458 (13x14 3-blade).
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2007 at 6:21pm
I wakeboard exclusively, with about 1984 lbs of weight in the boat and two people. I have a PCM 351 GT-40 310 HP with a 1:23/1 transmission. So what do you think with that info? I appreciate this.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 6:28am
About 1984 lbs, eh? With that much weight, Id say you'd be best off with the 1458. You'll sacrifice some top speed, but that shouldnt be a major concern since you only wakeboard. It wouldnt hurt to call Bill Weeks at Acme and get his recommendation, but Im guessing this is the prop he will suggest.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2007 at 8:05am
Tim:

Thanks for bailing me out on this one, I have no clue about wakeboarding and/or props for same.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic